Author Topic: Tuckers of Lydlinch  (Read 1212 times)

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tuckers of Lydlinch
« on: Wednesday 24 February 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am wondering if someone can help me trace back from Jane Tucker of Lydlinch; she had four base-born children, James (baptised 11 Nov 1770), Jane (bp 27 Apr 1783), Mary (bp 26 Dec 1784) and Thomas (bp 7 Jan 1787). I have searched the OPCDorset site but have found it very difficult to determine who is related to whom around this time, where it is not specifically mentioned in the registers. An elderly relative made a leap back to a John and Jane Tucker, but I am not convinced this is correct as I can find no information about the unmarried Jane Tucker's birth.

I would be grateful for any help of where to look, or whether the parish registers are my only source of information.

(Please forgive me if I have posted on the wrong board - I wasn't sure that this was strictly a lookup request.)

Many thanks!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tuckers of Lydlinch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 19:30 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of trees on Ancestry with varying results; one below might have some credence?

When Jane Tucker was born about 1743, in Lydlinch, Dorset, her father, William, was 38 and her mother, Mary, was 32. She had two sons and two daughters between 1770 and 1787. She died about 1831, in Lydlinch, Dorset, having lived a long life of 88 years, and was buried there.

I think the birth might be based on the Following record:

Jinnie Tucker 29 Oct 1743 Lydlinch,Dorset parents Will & Mary

The burial was a Jane Tucker so I assume she never married,

Burial 4 May 1831 Lydlinch, Dorset

NB: There was a Jane Tucker Burial 2 Oct 1768 at Lydlinch,, she was the wife of  John Tucker. They had a number of children 1749 to 1762 but no Jane.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help! I am loathe to make the connection to John and Jane with no evidence for her baptism, but I shall look again at records of burials. I think I am falling victim to the amount of Johns and Janes there were at that time!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 February 16 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I think this William and Mary also had children baptised at Hilton.

And this is an interesting court case.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h5v/

I think the John Tucker subject to the removal order may be brother of Jane. He died in 1818 according to the report. If you look at Hilton burials, there was a John Tucker age 88, which matches with a baptism of a John at Hilton to a William and Mary Tucker of Lydlinch.
The report also mentions other family members.

And a warm welcome to Rootschat

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 February 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome LizzieL! And thank you for finding that interesting article - I shall enjoy looking into that further!

The records for Hilton will likely be another avenue for me to explore; I have to admit that I find it difficult to stay on one track while doing this research and not wander off on various tangents (usually wives, siblings etc!).

Thanks again.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 February 16 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I have to admit that I find it difficult to stay on one track while doing this research and not wander off on various tangents (usually wives, siblings etc!).

I think we all have that tendency!

My direct lines seem to be very boring, but the in-laws and distant cousins seem a lot more colourful.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott