Author Topic: Anne Hewetson  (Read 589 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne Hewetson
« on: Thursday 25 February 16 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the following?

I have an Anne Hewetson mentioned in the will of her grandfather Rev George Larkham who died in Cumberland in 1700. He leaves a legacy for her, my fatherless grandchild, Anne Hewetson.

The only one of Georges children who I think could be Annes mother is a Jane Larkham baptised 1668 at Bridekirk Cumberland but cannot find a marriage for her to a Mr Hewetson? All Georges other daughters died young or married different men.

I think Anne would be born around 1685 to 1699?

Any help much appreciated! :)

Offline SallyinAlaska

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Hewetson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 23 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,
I realize it has been several years since this post was made, but I too am researching the descendants of Reverend George Larkham, and I was curious about the naming of Anne Hewetson in his will. Anne's mother couldn't be Jane Larkham because she died at age four years in 1673.  Her burial record can be found in the Bridekirk Parish Register: Under 1673: [p. 152] "Apr. 29 Jana Filia Georgii Larkham [genr] de Tallentyro" (see attachment). 

I followed a different thought process for Anne Hewetson. George Larkham refers to Anne Hewetson as his "Grandchild" inferring that she was still a minor at the time his will was written. In 17th -18th century England, 15 was considered the age of majority, so Anne Hewetson was probably age 14 or younger on 10 January 1699, giving her a birthdate of 10 January 1685 or later. At the time his will was written, George Larkham's living daughters, Margaret Osmotherly, Patience Langdale, and Mary Bowes were all married to men with surnames other than Hewetson. George Larkham names his living sons in the will, Deliverance Larkham and Lancelot Larkham, so they cannot be the father of Anne Hewetson. The only child of George Larkham who lived to adulthood who is not named in George Larkham's will is Thomas Larkham, born 16 June 1655, so the assumption is he was deceased by 10 January 1699, and most likely the father of Anne Hewetson.
Kind regards,
Sally Russell Cox