Author Topic: Translation Request: Conculsion Accident [Isaac Griffiths 1882]  (Read 2384 times)

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Translation Request: Conculsion Accident [Isaac Griffiths 1882]
« on: Friday 26 February 16 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I'd be grateful if someone could help translate this please as although I have tried various online options, some words just won't translate.

This is the original copy of the newspaper item which can be found here
 http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3116093/3116097/74/

Canlyniad Damwain.
Pan wrth ei waith fel coediwr yn nglofa Cambrian, Clydach Vale, cyfarfyddodd Mr. Isaac Griffiths, 23, Howard Terrace, o'r un lie, a damwain a brofodd yn angenol iddo, ddydd Gwener canlynol. Y mae yn debyg iddo gael ei daro yn ei frest gan fater caled, glo neu bren, nes peri idaB boen ofnadwy. O hyny allan, gwnawd pob peth oedd yn ddichonadwy i'w wella, ond methwyd, gan fod canlyn- iad y ddamwain yn gwneud hyny yn beth anmhosibl. Yr oedd yr ymadawedig yn 36 mlwydd oed, a symudiadau ei fywyd yn cael eu cymeradwyo. Dywedir ei fod yn barchus iawn o'i fam, ac yn gofalu am gynaliaetb, &c., yn anrhydeddus iddi. Bu yn aelod am rai blynyddau yn eglwys Soar (A.), Clydach Vale. Yr oedd yn perthyn i'r Rechabiaid, ac yn wir weithgar, y mae yn debyg. Hysbysir fod 80 o fechgyn, a 53 o ferched bychain, a 115 o Hersonau mewn oed, yn gwneud i fyny y gym- xleithas a enwyd. Y mae yr un mor wirion- eddol i Isaac Griffith wneud ei oreu i gael y gymdeithas i sefyllfa flodeuog. Rhoddodd amryw o r aelodau eu presenoldeb yn yr angladd, ac yn cael eu blaenori gan Mr. Theophilus Rees, sef un o weithwyr selog achosion da yn Nghlydach Vale. Trodd Cyf- rinfa yr Odyddion allan yn lluosog ar yr achlysur. Gwelsom y cynhebrwng, ac yn ddiddadl yr oedd tua mil o bobl yn bresenol. Gwasanaethwyd ar yr achlysur gan y Parchn. W. Williams a W. Davies. Buasai yn briodol crybwyll fod Cymdeithas y Rechabiaid yn y lie hwn o dan ddylanwad eglwysi Soar (A.), a Calfaria (B.), ac fod yr undeb prydferth yma yn cael ei werthfawrogi. Daearwyd yr hyn oedd farwol o Isaac Griffiths yn Nghladdfa Gyhoeddns Trealaw, ddydd Mawrth, y laf cyfisol.

This is how it translated:

Conclusion Accident
When in his work as coediwr in Cambrian Colliery, Clydach Vale, cyfarfyddodd Mr. Isaac Griffiths, 23, Howard Terrace, of the same lie, which proved an accident angenol him, Friday following. It is like he was hit in his chest by the hard issue, coal or timber, until a cause terrible pain idaB. From gwnawd all the way out, it was feasible to improve it, but failed, as follows-tment of the accident makes ticket is anmhosibl.  The deceased was 36 years old, and the movements of his life being approved. It is said that he was very respectful of his mother, and caring for gynaliaetb, & c., honourably. He has been a member for some blynyddau in the Church of Soar (a.), Clydach Vale. I belonged to the Rechabiaid, and indeed active, it is similar. Notice is hereby given that 80 of boys, and 53 women, and 115 of small Hersonau in old age, make up the gym-named xleithas.  It is equally absurd-stage to Isaac Griffith made her oreu to get the Association to florid situation. Several members gave their attendance at the funeral, and prioritisation by Mr. Theophilus Rees, one of the hardworking workers good causes in Clydach Vale. He turned the rinfa-Odyddion Ref out multiple on the occasion. We saw a funeral, and undoubtedly there were about a thousand people in attendance. Served on the occasion by the Parchn. W. Williams and w. Davies.  It would be appropriate to mention that the Rechabiaid in the Society where churches under the influence of this Soar (a.), and Calfaria (b.), and that the beautiful Union here is appreciated. Daearwyd what was mortal of Isaac Griffiths Nghladdfa Gyhoeddns Trealaw, on Tuesday, the laf cyfisol.

The full meaning of the newspaper item eludes me and I'd be grateful for any assistance to help me understand what was reported.

Cheers
Lynda
South Wales - main trunk family names - mam's side:-
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Translation Request: Conculsion Accident [Isaac Griffiths 1882]
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 16 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I am not a Welsh speaker by any stretch, but i think part of this is referring to Isaac being part of a movement similar to the Rechabites, who promoted temperance.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 16 16:06 GMT (UK) »
coediwr = woodsman

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 16 00:14 GMT (UK) »
thank you Spidermonkey.
I'll have a look to see what I can find around the Church of Soar and Rachabites. Cheers
Lynda
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 16 01:03 GMT (UK) »
'While at work as a carpenter (?) in the Cambrian Colliery in Clydach Vale, Mr I.G. ... of the same place, met with an accident which proved fatal for him, the following Friday. t is likely that he was struck in the chest by some hard matter, coal or wood, which caused him awful pain. Everything possible was then done to succour him, but without success, as the results of the accident made it impossible.The deceased was 30 years of age and had led a commendable life. He is said to have been most respectful towards his mother and gave honourable provision to her circumstances. He was for some years a member at Soar Chapel (Independent), Clydach Vale. He was a member of the Rechabites, and was truly industrious, it appears. It is said that 80 boys and 53 girls and 115 adults make up the named society. It is just as true that Isaac Griffith did his best to ensure that the society reached a flourishing condition. Several members made their presence at the funeral, represented chiefly by Mr Theophilus Rees, one of the devoted workers for deserving causes in Clydach Vale. The lodge of Oddfellows showed a numerous presence at the event. We witnessed the funeral, and there were indubitably about a thousand people present. The Revs W. Williams and W. Davies officiated. It would be appropriate to note that The Rechabite Society in this area comes under the influence of the churches Soar (Ind) and Calfaria (Bapt), and that this beautiful union is appreciated. Issac Griffiths' mortal remains were buried in Trealaw Public Cemetery on Tuesday, the 1st of this month.'

There must be a better technical term for 'coediwr' than my bare offering, but someone else will know.

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 February 16 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness Pinot!  That's wonderful and what a beautiful commentary now that, thanks to you, I can understand what was written .... 

Thank you so, so much ...

Lynda
:-) :-)

Father's side:

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 February 16 00:11 GMT (UK) »
 :) Welcome / croeso.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 March 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Coediwr was probably "timberman" in the context of Coal mining

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 March 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Coediwr was probably "timberman" in the context of Coal mining
   Probably an abbreviation for coedwigwr - woodman or forester.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields