Author Topic: Current and up to date Genealogy programmes recommended at present  (Read 6072 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Current and up to date Genealogy programmes recommended at present
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 May 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
 I think most software companies have put a lot of work into trying to make sure they can import FTM files over the last six months.

However, importing from one dialect of GEDCOM to another  is not seamless so when you try out trial versions make sure you import the data using their instructions for an FTM import. Just opening up your file and expecting everything to be there will lead to disappointment.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 June 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies. I have purchased Family Historian after I downloaded the demos of both it and Roots magic.

I liked the look and feel of family historian and the wealth of features.  I also bought the book "Getting the most of.."

However I discovered when I imported my FTM files into the demo that RM included the media and sources but FH didn't (although I later found the sources!)  So what I did was to import my tree into RM  and then in to FH, as this seemed to result in the media being included.  Obviously something in the way the code was written.

I am now in the process of familarising myself with the full features of FH, as the demo was time limited, RM was feature limited.

So a huge thanks to everyone who took the time to comment!
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 June 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
If you go to the Family Historian User Group there are a number of threads about importing from FTM directly into Family Historian.

http://www.fhug.org.uk/

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 November 16 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I use Brothers Keeper as my family history database.
It is fast, easy to use and updates are free.
http://www.bkwin.org/

In addition I use Treedraw to enable me to manipulate diagrams of my family trees.
http://treedraw.spansoft.org/

I have tried most family history programs and discarded most for a number of reasons but find the above two meet all my needs

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 November 16 08:41 GMT (UK) »
That Treeview looks interesting . Anyone tried it yet?
North East of England

Offline JayNQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 November 16 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Like Guy said, I also have been using Brothers Keeper for many years.  My IT savvy son checked out all the available programs at the time, and chose Brothers Keeper as the appropriate one for me both for ease of use for me and technology for him to maintain over time.  We both have had no reason to change.  Regularly updated as needed with more features developed over the time. Service and communication are great.  Best wishes.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 November 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Like Guy and Jay, I have also used Brother's Keeper for many years and have found it able to meet all my needs. I have a relatively small main database (about 1000 people) but another member of my family with a 6000 plus base also operates happily with BK.
Also like Guy, who recommended it some time ago, I use Treedraw when I want to view a large visual tree.
Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)