Author Topic: Current and up to date Genealogy programmes recommended at present  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Current and up to date Genealogy programmes recommended at present
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 March 16 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks smudwhisk, i'll have a look at the FHUG forum.

And thanks KGarrad, i'll have a look at RootsMagic too (esp if there's a trial so i can compare at the same time).

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 March 16 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I got an email today from S&N telling me about a new program called Treeview, which looks interesting. And it does have apps for both android and iOS.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 March 16 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I got an email today from S&N telling me about a new program called Treeview, which looks interesting. And it does have apps for both android and iOS.

That sounds interesting. I've just had a look at RootsMagic essentials but not keen on the general layout, though it does create trees ::). Currently looking at ways of combining files (OneNote doesn't do what I thought it did!) so that the pdf reports from FH6 and a tree from Ancestry (inserted screenshot into word then saved as a pdf) can be combined into a booklet. Downside of that is the lack of an index .......  mmm :-\

Added: There's a free trial of Treeview available (just downloaded it), and it's a big plus for me that there are android and iOS versions too.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 March 16 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Not immediately keen on Treeview either ::) FH6 still my favourite.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 March 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
....  There is though also the facility to create a book which can include the reports, tree views, etc,

Thanks smudwhisk, I've just tried the 'book' option and will work with that, 99% convinced I'll go with FH6 now. Prefer the look of the Ancestry print format version of my tree but that means I'd need to make sure that Ancestry was 100% up-to-date too.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 March 16 21:34 GMT (UK) »
That's my problem. I am a very keen researcher, but not so keen at actually recording all of my finds on my tree. It's only when I need to print a report for someone, or get an enquiry about an ancestor that I am spurred into action.  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 March 16 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Have sorted several of my 'issues' with FH6 today - particularly charts - as well as trying several other programs :D so will go with that when the trial runs out.

Will keep my Ancestry tree up-to-date though for when out and about.

Just need to sort the paperwork now  ::)

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 May 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
I have been reading these posts with interest as I am contemplating replacing my FTM2005 with an alternate program.  I am running Windows 10 and FTM seems to come up with the error message "unable to create a backup" which from what I understand is a compatibility problem, so have decided to invest in a new program.

It seems to be a choice between Roots Magic and Family Historian, (I would rather not upgrade to FTM) so how easy is it to import my files to either of these programs.  I would be interested in hearing what others have chosen and why!

Looking at FTM2005 I would have an option of creating a GEDCOM of the whole file, how easy is it to import into either one of these programs? Or would it be easier to import the file direct from the PC's hard disc?

Thanks for any help/guidance!
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 May 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
It seems to be a choice between Roots Magic and Family Historian, (I would rather not upgrade to FTM) so how easy is it to import my files to either of these programs.  I would be interested in hearing what others have chosen and why!

Looking at FTM2005 I would have an option of creating a GEDCOM of the whole file, how easy is it to import into either one of these programs? Or would it be easier to import the file direct from the PC's hard disc?

Thanks for any help/guidance!

Family Historian uses the gedcom format as its own ..... the best way to find out if it suits you is to try the program. The free download of the trial version is the full program (I think time limited to thirty days).

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads

Personally I find FH extremely flexible as it can be altered to basically work the way I want to and is powerful enough to do a lot more than I do with it.