Author Topic: John Williams 1887  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Road Runner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John Williams 1887
« on: Saturday 27 February 16 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
It is a very long shot but I'm trying to locate the birth records of my grandfather John Williams but the only solid information I have on him is taken from the 1939 Register giving his date of birth as 25th August 1887.

Currently I am attempting to trace a lead which I hope may prove fruitful.

Cassia Jane Williams was born 1890 in Ffestiniog. Her brother John Williams was born 1887, Denbigh. Their parents were Edward and Margaret Williams.

If I could identify her mother’s maiden name then I could use that information to order John Williams birth certificate.

If anyone has access to the birth records for Ffestiniog or has access to the Archives that hold them that could visit, it would be most appreciated.

Regards
Grant - St Mary Church, Cowbridge
Harford - Sutton Benger,  Keithley
Newberry / Newbury -  London, Chepstow, Cardiff

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams 1887
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »
You could order the birth certificate of a John Williams 1887 without specifying any page or volume details on the first page of the order form. On the second page specify that the parents must be Edward Williams and Margaret.
The GRO will search 1887 +/- one year either side. If they can't find a matching record you will receive a refund.
Alternatively you could order Cassia's birth certificate which will give her mother's maiden name then use the information to order John's certificate.

Offline Road Runner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 16 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello CrisAnn
Thanks for the reply.
I have applied to GRO but they said there were too many John Williams's to search so declined and refunded my money. I could order Cassia's birth certificate but I have spent so much so far on certificates that I am hoping that maybe someone who visits the local Archives in the area could help.
Regards

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 16 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I see from the 1891 census that both Edward and Margaret were born in Holywell so it is likely that they married there. 1886-1889 there are 2 marriages for an Edward Williams to a Margaret in Holywell. One is a Margaret Williams in 1886 and the other Margaret Pickering in 1887.
There is a tree on ancestry having Edward's wife as Margaret Williams but no source to prove this.
The safest way would be to order Cassia's birth certificate

Cassia Jane Williams June 1/4 1890 vol 11b page 390 Festiniog

Offline Road Runner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 16 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Crisane,
Thanks once again for the information. To be honest I am hoping to catch the attention of someone who may visit the archives and to be honest keep my costs down. Failing this then you are correct and I'll have to order Cassia's birth certificate. I've been down this road looking for John Williams several times without success and the cost have been mounting up so I'm just hoping there may be someone with access to the records.
Regards

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 16 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In the later censuses, Edward and his family seem to have moved down to Glamorgan and have 6 children in total including John and Cassie.

Ancestry has a family tree for one of the other children Margaret Sarah (born c1893) - I wondered if contacting the tree owner may resolve this for you?

Alan 

Offline Road Runner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 16 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan,   
Many thanks for your kind reply. I am fortunate enough to have traced the family from Ffestiniog to Glamorgan where they are all living together by 1901 but by the 1911 census Cassia and John have left the family home.

I have been able to follow Cassia's family line from her marriage in 1912 but it’s John Williams I am trying to find further information on.

Although there are several family trees on Ancestry of which one of them is most likely mine, there is no further information on John to be gleamed from those trees.
Once again many thanks

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 June 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
I'd go for Cassia's birth certificate too, with such an unusual first name there can't be too many of them.  I have Williams in my tree too, in fact it's my maiden name  ;D and with such common names we have to sometimes take the sideways approach.
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Road Runner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 June 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Beeonthebay,
Thanks for your reply. I think I've been in every direction you can think of without success. However I've recently had contact with a family member who has promised to see what information they can gleam for me. It's been a few weeks but I live in hope.
Regards