Author Topic: alexander Riach  (Read 3620 times)

Offline morgan 55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
alexander Riach
« on: Sunday 28 February 16 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I have my Riach line back to Alexander Riach 1729 to 1780 married to Elizabeth Bremner both buried in Rothes can anybody help with his parents
Thanks Norman

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: alexander Riach
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 February 16 16:23 GMT (UK) »
 i can't see a baptism for 1729 but there is   this oneName:    Alexander Riach
Baptism Date:    26 May 1724
Baptism Place:    Rothes,Moray,Scotland
Father:    William Riach
FHL Film Number:    990723, 990808, 990809

there are a few trees on ancestry with him being born 1729 but  they don't have any sources for that info to back it up

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 February 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
If you have not done so already, try the Moray Council site called Libindx. A person search there might throw up something.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

he is on there but birth date 1730 does not say very much, no parents listed.

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp
he is on there but birth date 1730 does not say very much, no parents listed.

That birth date has been 'calculated' by subtracting the age on the gravestone (50) from the year of death (1780). The stone is the only source of information about this Alexander Riach (and about his wife and possible daughter-in-law) in LIBINDX.

As he might have died before his birthday in 1780, he could have been born in either 1729 or 1730, assuming his age at death is accurate.

Where did you get 1729 from, Norman?

Golden rule: never believe anything you find online unless it is an original document. Use it as a finding aid, not as a definite fact.

I see that the International Genealogical Index has two children of Alexander Riach and Elizabeth Bremner: Peter b 1771 and Janet b 1776. However the earlier Rothes baptisms tend to omit the name of the mother, so Peter and Janet could be just the youngest of a larger family.

In your place I would want to have a very good look at the Rothes parish register. I'd extract all the references relating to Riachs, and try to sort them into families using the additional information in the original, including the places of residence and the names and (where stated) relationships of witnesses. Rothes, unusually, often says of a witness 'grandfather to the said child' or 'grandmother to the said child' and I have been able to sort out some family links using this information. Also note any Riachs who witnessed the baptisms of other people's children, and any relationships mentioned. I found the name of a 5th-great-grandmother that way.

Are you anywhere near a library that might have a copy of the Rothes parish register on microfilm (Inverness, Elgin, Aberdeen etc)? Or anywhere within reach of a Scotland's People Centre (Edinburgh, Glasgow etc)? If not, you could view all the Riach listings in the Rothes parish register at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - but there are 271 of these and it would cost you a fair bit. A much cheaper way would be to go to your nearest LDS Church Family History Library and ask them to rent the film for you for a small fee. You can then go through it at your leisure and see what emerges.

I very much doubt that there is any other way to find out more about your Alexander Riach, and there is certainly no easy way.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline morgan 55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 20:21 GMT (UK) »
THANK FOR YOUR REPLY I GOT THE DATE1729 BY DEDUCTING THE AGE GIVEN ON THE GRAVE STONE BEING 50 FROM HIS DEATH RECORD FOUND ON SCOTLANDS PEOPLE BEING 1779 ALL I HAD TO GO ON I KNOW THE DEATH YEAR WASNT ACCURATE SO THE STATED AGE MIGHT NOT BE ACCURATE ETHER SO THE DATE 1724 MIGHT BE HIM.

Offline Sandybig

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 May 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just seen this and don't know if you are still looking.

I have

Alexander Riach - b: c 1730 Rothes [As you say a range of dates depending what source you use - I used the burial store calc] m: c 17158 Rothes d: 1780 age 50 [from gravestone so why do you question the date?]

I have as parents:
- William Riach b: c1689 m: c1719 d: 1 Nov 1758
- Janet Hay b:c1698  d: c1752

Grandparents (all in Rothes):
Peter Riach b: c1660 m: c1688 d: c1748
Jannat Duffus b:1662 d: 1740

Let me know if this is of use

Sandy Riach

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 May 20 14:23 BST (UK) »
Alexander Riach - b: c 1730 Rothes d: 1780 age 50 [from gravestone so why do you question the date?]
Because ages on gravestones are often inaccurate, and the earlier the stone, the more chance of it being inaccurate.

For a start, the parish register gives 14 February 1779 and the stone says 1780. So is this the same person, with a mistake in one or the other? Or is it two different Alexander Riachs who died in successive years, both about 50 years of age?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I have the parents and a tree going back to the early/mid 1600's with lots of branches extending all over the world.

I also have a registered One-Name Study for the Riach surname.
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk