Author Topic: Brondeifi Unitarian Chapel in Lampeter for grave of William Jones died 1894  (Read 6816 times)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Jones died in Bridgend in February 1894 but lived most of his life in Lampeter (born c1841).
"Something over two years ago Mr Jones left Lampeter for Bridgend. Mr Jones was for some time a member to the Lampeter Town Council. One of his brothers is vicar of Llanor, North Wales and another brother is vicar of Llanwrwg, Pembrokeshire. The body was conveyed by train to Lampeter on Monday evening. The funeral took place on Tuesday morning and was very largely attended. Numerous wreaths were sent by friends and relatives. The vicar officiated at the house and the Rev R. C. Jones at Brondeifi Unitarian Chapel, in the burial ground of which chapel the remains were interred. Much sympathy is expressed with his widow and children."
From the Cambrian News on 23rd February 1894
Any photographs and information about William from a headstone or the records there would be much appreciated. I am particularly looking for his birth date.
Thanks very much
Richard PJ
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brondeifi Unitarian Chapel in Lampeter for grave of William Jones died 1894
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 16 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Only just seen your message. The only William Jones I can find recorded for Brondeifi fits your information.

William Jones, formerly of the Cambrian Shoe Factory, Lampeter, died at Bridgend, Glam, 15 Feb 1894 (54).
On the same stone there is a dedication to:-
Janie, eldest daughter of William and Anne Jones, died at Bridgend, 2 Dec 1891 (19). 

I just checked... we exchanged some info before on the Cambrian Shoe Factory.

Couldn't find his birth cert, but can find his marriage cert.

William Jones was married in St Peters church, Lampeter, 1871, December 13th
To Anne Davies,
Both of full age
He bachelor, and she spinster
Both living in Lampeter at time of marriage
His occupation given as Boot manufacturer
His father John Jones, also Boot manufacturer
And her father David Davies, Inn Keeper.

The grave info came from the volume of Unitarian Grave inscriptions by E.L. and M.A. James, and the marriage info via Findmypast.

Best wishes
Jen (aka rebecca_riots)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 16 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Jen.
1. I was wondering if I should have just posted in the general area as the two other lookup requests that I posted at the same time in other counties have yet to receive a reply.
2. Is a subscription needed to see the Unitarian grave inscriptions? I would like to see the gravestones.
3. I wonder why Janie and her father William were buried at Brondeifi when the family had a connection with St Peters Church in Lampeter?
4. The GRO were unable to find a birth certificate for William and his twin brother John born in 1841.
5. Anne Jones née Davies remarried a David Griffiths in Bridgend in 1897 I believe.
Richard PJ
RPJ

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 16 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Recently there was a glitch in Rootschat, unless I dreamt it !  I remember seeing a "website unobtainable" or similar notice, which said that access to Rootschat because of a fault or hack or something meant that it would be down for ages and ages, so I personally did not bother to look for ages. Thought it wouldn't be around for several months, but perhaps I misread or dreamt it.... this might account for people not responding. Personally I would stick to the counties sections, but make sure that the subject heading is specific... I notice people say things like "Help Please", so I never bother to look.

Perhaps William was Unitarian and his wife was not. Lampeter is part of the Black Spot after all.

Birth Cert... don't know.  Probably the mother/parents didn't register the births. People were a bit sloppy still in 1840. There is a good page on when compulsory registration came in here:-
http://www.owenfamilyhistory.net/civilreg.html and it is later than one might have thought.

Where do you live? I go to Lampeter several times a week, but not at the mo to the Brondeifi area as the road is up (road works) and it is too cold to go wandering around. However, when Spring comes (she says hopefully) I could take a photo for you.

Jen

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 16 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jen.
  A photo of the graves would be great if/when "Spring Has Sprung." Thanks.

I have just educated myself by googling "Black Spot" and the "Rebecca Riots." This gives me more understanding of the area.

Is a subscription needed to see the Unitarian grave inscriptions compiled by E.L. & M.A. James? Do you have a link please?

I live in Santa Rosa in Northern California, so I'm not able to physically visit sites of interest in Wales.
Thank you,
Richard PJ

RPJ

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 17:27 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE: Burial records for William's twin brother, Rev. John Jones, give a date of birth as 19th April 1841. The GRO wasn't able to find birth records for the boys, so this is especially useful. I am hoping that records for William at Brodeifi will confirm this.
Richard PJ
RPJ

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Seen your message today. Rootschat are apparently now sending helpful emails to say a reply is on line. I am absolutely up to my eyebrows in helping our little tiny museum get ready for the annual opening on Monday next, with my input into a display of various items and history of a local parish. (this pm was actually in another Unitarian graveyard called Capel y Groes, not far from Lampeter)... will do some more research and try to answer you when things calm down.. if you haven't heard by Easter do remind me.  Its Sul y Blodau this Sunday (Flower Sunday/known elsewhere as Palm Sunday) and we are trying to visit our family graves with flowers as remembrances.
Best wishes, Jen

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say, the grave inscriptions by the James's are not online. The only place that has the complete set is the National Library in Aberystwyth. Let me know of any local names I can look up for you.
J

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Jen.
I appreciate that you're volunteering your time and expertise, so any time that you can get to it is fine.
If I think of any other local names, I'll let you know. Good luck with your Museum project.
Richard PJ   :)
RPJ