Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67230 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #27 on: Friday 22 January 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just been on FindMyPast looking for the burial of Rev. William Hood L.L., who died at Newark Hospital 17th September 1924. I have made a Clergy Enquiry to the C of E and hopeful they might assist.

You might as well add William to the current 'no known burial list' for the moment!

William Hood born 1849 was the brother of my 2 x Gt. Grandfather George Hood born Selby 1847. William started as a Railway Clerk, eventually moving to Salford where he was a 'Clerk of Holy Orders' and in 1916 moved to Barnby in the Willows, Newark, Notts, as Vicar.

The Nottingham Evening Post 19 September 1924 piece says:-
The death has taken place, at Newark Hospital, of the Rev. Wm. Hood, vicar of Barnby who was in his 76th year. He was taken seriously ill on Tuesday, and preached as recently as Sunday week. He was formerly at Selby and Salford.

Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 22 January 16 18:05 GMT (UK) »
https://www.sites.google.com/site/hesslelocalhistorysociety/hessle-s-history/hessle-in-1879

By 1846 the brewery had passed to James Hood, a Scot from Dumfries, who also owned a beer house and five inns. Hood ran a beer house and supplied five inns in the district. He was still involved at the Griffin in 1872 but by 1879 his son had taken sole charge.

Among other maltsters, brewers, beer sellers listed in Directories are James Appleton (1857) and  Simon Appleton (1823, 1846, 1855), Robert Extoby (1834),George Kirk Forrest (1857), John Oxtoby (1836), Sarah Speck (1855, 1857), George Maw (1888) George Oust (1892), John Berry(1872), George Sneeston (1882), the Dewhirsts (1885, 1892) and the Hoods (1855, 1857, 1872, 1879). In 1857 Thomas Rudston is also recorded as a cooper, or maker of beer barrels.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 January 16 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

We have been unable to discover any name for George Hood's Selby brewery, despite extensive research to find some 19th Century Selby brewery names including who owned, managed or were connected to each brewery.

The Brewing Industry: A Guide To Historical Records by Lesley Richmond and Alison Turton, published 1990 regarding the Griffin at Selby ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_8xRAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=%22James+Oldridge+%26+Son,+Griffin+Brewery%22&source=bl&ots=1tcKsIM5TV&sig=od4yPiWh3X-N0lRotaOmgMvBSJQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimypPBlL7KAhUEZCYKHQGrCHUQ6AEIGzAA

A really good spot thank you, if George Hood can be linked to your Griffin Brewery, then James Hood could be related.

Regarding the book and John Richardson Ltd., found this ...

No 1331 John Richardson Ltd, brewers, Wide Street Selby. 31/12/1884
capital of 5,000 in 5,000 shares. 3,500 taken by 9 shareholders.

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 22 January 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Directory of Newcastle upon Tyne & Gateshead, 1801

Robert Hood Liquor and wine merchant

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=728231.387;last_msg=5860818

page 21
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

1804, also found in The Lady's Magazine, or Entertaining Companion ...

30. At Brampton, in the County of Cumberland, the rev. J. Wright, of Hutton, in Dumfriesshire, to miss Hood, daughter of the late rev. Robert Hood, of Newcastle upon Tyne.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=F3kEAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA279&lpg=PA279&dq=%22Hood+of+Newcastle+upon+Tyne%22&source=bl&ots=1sU7y2f2Y5&sig=skFRR-rffvuh9W3rWm6YV-kqNE0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVo4qKg8LKAhWCQBoKHTLlBScQ6AEIIDAD

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Richard Hood d 1850 (son of George Hood d 1845) was a grocer who also sold wine and booze also that William Hood Will London who owned a wharf was into selling booze.

Clergy Hood's from Scotland practicing in England !! and your George d 1845 could be a son of a Reverend with family link to booze selling/making---- something to keep in mind.

Cooper barrel making in a brewery concern as part of learning the business

Its thin but the booze aspect seems to be forming a picture with these Hood's in general spread about the country      ???

I'll leave you with it now Mark for a while !! as there seems little find online thats not already be. found.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 24 January 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm, Goughy, Bumblebee and All

Thank you.

The 1826 Selby Baptism of Richard Hood indicates that his father George was a "Retail - Brewer", so George would have had a Brewers License and an Excise Licence and adhere to strict rules about no drinking on, or outside the premises, the fine was £100.

I can recall going to the Pub Off-sales as a boy with Dad, taking the glasses back home with beer in, it was a separate door to the pub and you were served through a window just inside.

Nothing to indicate yet, whether the Hoods of Hessle were related to us. The Partnership between Charles Bartliff and James Goldie Hood of Low Ousegate, York, Wholesale and Retail Wine Merchants was dissolved 7th February 1842.

A little later in 1849 James Goldie Hood is at Hessle with a Tavern, along with Grocer's shop for sale called the "Kingston Arms" in Sculcoates (Parish where John Hood of Selby my 3 times Gt. Grandfather married) and James G Hood held the License until 1854, he was also a Maltster and Brewer. Later he was a farmer and James Goldie Hood of Hessle died 27th July 1876, aged 70.

There was also a Mr F. Hood of Hessle, a Maltster, who sat on the Grand Jury around 1849, according to newspapers.

We want to get back to Yorks in the Spring to trace George's origin, confirm his parentage etc.

Take care, kind regards, Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 29 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Mark- Type in Hood and have fun.

England, Durham Probate Bonds, 1556-1858 

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

When get to an image page of wills or doc's type the page number in

Example it will have page 1 of say 615 with arrows either side like 615->

So type say page 15 and click on arrow at side of 615 ->(Click arrow)

Above page number in image click on "England, Durham Probate Bonds, 1556-1858 "

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks dobfarm.

According to another FindMyPast scan, of George Hood's marriage at Selby Yorkshire 18 July 1815 (George born Yorks per 1841 Census), a Jane Cockin was one of the Witnesses to their marriage. Because of the lack of a September 1845 Selby Parish burial record, also no baptism record at Selby either, we considered George Hood might be a dissenter, explaining the lack of Hood burials at Selby.

In view of Jane Cockin being a Witness at the 1815 Selby marriage of George Hood and Sarah Russel, I was very interested to discover the reference to Rev. John Cockin of the Independent Chapel, on this thread ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=520384.0
My 3x great grandfather was the Rev John Cockin who was minister at the Lane Independent Chapel at Holmfirth for 43 years from 1806-1849. Although he died in Halifax, he asked to be buried at Holmfirth and the newspaper report of his funeral confirms that he was.

Left me wondering who Jane Cockin, was.

Regards Mark