Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67694 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #360 on: Friday 26 May 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
They didn't have FBI witness protection new beginnings plan those days- did they. ie: George.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Friday 26 May 17 12:06 BST (UK) »

:D  :D :D
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Friday 26 May 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
George 'Teflon' Hood, can't stick any relationship to him.

--------

Lord Petre
I don't know what its about, but according to a snippet (end of lines missing due to binding) in the Yorkshire Gazette 9th April 1836 (also Caledonian Mercury, 14 April 1836).

THE HONBLE. EDWARD PETRE, FORMERLY M. P. for
York, Jno. Eden, Spalding, son-in-law of Lord Brougham, the
Honble. Charles Gore, Lord Edward Thynne, and seven other
persons of rank were severally outlawed by proclamation at the
Clerkenwell Sessions on Monday morning.

Noticed it, because it was on the same page as the Selby Bible Soc. Branch, with Petre and the first line, in large lettering.

In one of George Hood's (Petre and Others to Hood) 1836 property registrations it calls him the Honourable Edward Robert Petre of Stapleton Park in the County of York, but now of Brussels.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Saturday 08 July 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
Working on the RC religion, Carlton St Mary chapel could or would come under RC records not Snaith C of E Parish. George 1845 & Sarah 1879 burials could be in Carlton graveyard RC burial (Did not need to be related to Hood's living in Carlton or if none lived there-George just buried there full stop) ground if George Hood took up R C religion in his later life through his association with the Petre family. Anyway checking Carlton RC St Mary graveyard or cemetery for a headstone of George & Sarah Hood is a good idea if only for elimination.

George Hood origins could be C of E or any religion before coming to Selby. IE - Glasgow Hood coopers which I'm working on at the moment - George son of Robert Hood & Margaret Porter bapt 19 February 1788 Scotland.

I'm looking to see if R Gibson put an advert for a skilled Cooper from 1804 to 1812 for his wanted cooper in Scottish newspapers or Irish newspapers as the high immigration of Irish workers around early 1800's to Glasgow and Selby

That word Cooper is of high meaning of George's early Selby origins on all his early documents/trade directories, than random Hood names in Yorkshire also the 1841c is renowned for being wrong on birth county. R Gibson did advertise once for a cooper and could have again in later years 1800 to 1812

Since we found out George was buried a none Quaker and members of his family in Quaker burial ground also your dad and granny said they believed George was of Scottish origins, also there seem to be a Hood family history of generations of Hood's in the cooper trade in Glasgow and some were members of the freemasons.

Maybe there's a Quaker birth of George Hood in Glasgow.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Monday 11 September 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
I went to St Mary's RC Church today to look at the grave Dobfarm spotted from the bus.  It is Canon Best's grave and he was re-buried in 1913 having been in Selby Abbey. He is the only one buried in the grounds.   The Housekeeper at the Presbytery was in the garden.  She invited me in to look at the Registers for St Mary's and Carlton (in exchange for the name and telephone number of my hairdresser!). 

There is no George Hood burial entered  in 1845  in the Selby or Carlton Register.  I also had a look at baptisms back to  1780 and could not see an entry for "our George".

I'm not too hopeful with the withheld records, unless Jane never married John Hood of Selby (a Wife by "habit and Repute").

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Monday 11 September 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
I went to St Mary's RC Church today to look at the grave Dobfarm spotted from the bus.  It is Canon Best's grave and he was re-buried in 1913 having been in Selby Abbey. He is the only one buried in the grounds.   The Housekeeper at the Presbytery was in the garden.  She invited me in to look at the Registers for St Mary's and Carlton (in exchange for the name and telephone number of my hairdresser!). 

There is no George Hood burial entered  in 1845  in the Selby or Carlton Register.  I also had a look at baptisms back to  1780 and could not see an entry for "our George".

I'm not too hopeful with the withheld records, unless Jane never married John Hood of Selby (a Wife by "habit and Repute").

I wonder if there are grave owners in the grave book at the Selby Abbey with an address or Jane Hood buried 1803 with another deceased in a grave with another surname or Hood  sister/brother in law surname who was related.

Its just possible Jane was George's mother if say George born 1783 and say Jane death age was more nearer 64 (death age are not that accurate them days)- had Greorge at 43 to 44 years old (my mum was 42 (get nearer 43) when she had me)

(dad always said he was under the influence on the family holiday at Bridlington when I was conceived 9 month before -  ;D ;D)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: Monday 11 September 17 12:13 BST (UK) »

I wonder if there are grave owners in the grave book at the Selby Abbey with an address or Jane Hood buried 1803 with another deceased in a grave with another surname or Hood  sister/brother in law surname who was related.

Its just possible Jane was George's mother if say George born 1783 and say Jane death age was more nearer 64 (death age are not that accurate them days)- had Greorge at 43 to 44 years old (my mum was 42 (get nearer 43) when she had me)

Hi

Very good point dobfarm, thank you - re possible purchase of Freehold Graves in Parish / Diocese records.

The "Reserved Plot" purchased by the RAF in the Parish churchyard in Hampshire, was known as a "Faculty" according to a Deed copy I have.

We'll widen the search.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Monday 27 November 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
"Unsuccessfully, trying to work out (the family connctions of) how Mary Ellen Hood was "Cousin" of  Thomas Duckworth Dobson and his wife Mary Ann, nee Bateman?"

Mary Ann Bateman in 1851 census is living with her aunt Nancy Wilkinson, so must be connected via Sarah Arundell's adopted Wilkinson family i.e. not via the  Hood family

John Bateman, Sailor married Mary Wilkinson 1805 Selby Abbey.  He then re-marries (as a widower) to Jane Wilkinson in York in 1813

From the Quaker Book by Edw. Milligan ...
Jonathan Hutchinson (1797 - 1872) Flax Merchant born Gedney [went to his Uncles Thos and Wm Procter at Selby].
He married in 1825 Elizabeth Massey (1803 - 1869), daughter of William Massey (1763 - 1846) of Spalding, land owner, and his second wife, Sarah Massey (born BATEMAN, 1765? - 1854).

John Hutchinson (1794 - 1875), grazier, Married Elizabeth Hutchinson (born BATEMAN, 1800 - 1884).

I wonder if the Batemans in the quotes, are linked to the Batemans, who married those Quakers?

Mark