Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67771 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #369 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 01:39 GMT (UK) »

I don't think there is a link, not that I've found yet.

John Bateman who married Jane & Mary Wilkinson was the son of Clement Bateman** & Mary Reason who married in Kent, and settled in London. Can't readily see John's baptism but he did have siblings.

Sarah Bateman's record of birth in 1766 is in the Quaker records - born in Chatteris Cambridgeshire to John Bateman & Mary Camps.

** Clement Bateman a Tailor of London was named as his father in the baptism of John's first child in the Selby PR's.

But I can't find a baptism for Clement. :-\
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks Claire.

That is interesting that you came across a CAMPS, there are three CAMP in the Will of Roger Hood of Selby 1727/28 (My Will photos are from the Will in the Howard-Vyse Collection of Langton Hall).

Added:
Langton Hall was previously held by the Norcliffe Family

"The Hesketh family is also worth noting. 1) Lt.Col. Fairfax Norcliffe married Mary Hesketh. 2) The first Richard Howard-Vyse, of Stoke Place (near Wexham), married Frances Hesketh. The next generation, Edward Howard-Vyse, married Mary Norcliffe which resulted in the Howard-Vyses eventually owning Langton Hall. The Heskeths, Norcliffes and Howard-Vyses illustrate a clear "cross-pollination" of families situated at Langton and Wexham/Stoke Poges."

http://home.worldonline.co.za/~townshend/langtonconnection.htm

The Wife of Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge (born Leven), was Caroline Helen Abel, born Castle Howard. These Hoods are linked with the Wesleyan Methodists and Richard Hood's Will refer to the Trustees of any Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in England.

See also Wm Hood, March 1852 Catwick and reference to the Primitive Methodist Connexion ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=781212.msg6356164#msg6356164

John MUSH mentioned in the Will of Roger Hood of Selby. There was a Presbyterian Minister at Selby called John Mush around this time.

----------

I paid a search fee (Wakefield which deals with Selby), to see where Roger Hood's Dwelling house went to, but they came up with a reference to a Will, which no longer seems to exist on the York Registry. The reply was very inconclusive, I felt.

We shall have to come up to Yorkshire again soon.

Also wondering if the Presbyterians tried to administer their own Wills, like the Catholics did at Carlton near Selby?

----------

According to a last Century Will, some of the old family items went to Marshall.

Mark

14th March 1727
Probate of the Will of Roger Hood of Selby

In the name of God Amen I Roger Hood of Selby being weak of Body but of perfect understanding Do make this my last Will and Testament – in manner and form following (Viz.) … I give o’in manner following first I give to my Brother Nathaniel Hood, my Sister Eliz: Middleton & my sister Ann Todd my dwelling house and orchard & appurts thereunto belonging to be equally divided among o’in & Do hereby give and bequeath each of ye above mentioned p’ties an equal share in ye above mentioned house and orchard lyeing or being in Ouzegate I give also to Mr John Mush & Ann Barker liveing in Wren Lane five pounds in Trust for the only use & benefit of my Nephew German Camp to be given to him in such way & proportions as the abovementioned Mr Mush & Ann Barker shall see and think proper to give him I also give to my Nephew German Camp the Bed and Appurts belonging to him standing in the Chamber I also give to my two Neeces Sarah and Mary Camp all the wearing apparrele linnen & wooling belonging to my Late wife Except the Cloak w’ch I give to my sister Middleton. Lastly I appoint my Brother Nathaniel Hood my Sister Middleton & my Sister Todd Exe’trs of this my Last Will & Testam’t. I give o’in all my goods & Chattells debts & Creditts my Legacys debts and funeral Expenses being first discharged In Witness whereof I set my hand & Seal this 14th March 1727/8 Roger Hood. Witness Geo: Hutchinson, Peter Leaper Ann Nutt.
[sic].

Roger Hood was buried Selby 18 March 1728.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #371 on: Saturday 02 December 17 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

Regarding 1838, George Hood, George Hood of Selby, Brewer (possibly the same George Hood) and James Collinson appear to own many properties in Ousegate. The document refers to properties built and improved by Samuel Nicholson Innkeeper, a further 9 newly errected properties, eight cottages and 14 other properties in Ousegate Selby and a 4 acre piece of the Outwoods of Selby and 2 pews in the Parish Church.

In the Registry it would appear properties were transferring to James Collinson and the entry has been Signed and Sealed by George Hood L.S. [apparently meaning Locus Sigilli, the Seal of George Hood] in the presence of Henry Birkinshaw and John Luke Haigh.

Just added the bit about John Luke Haigh

Summarising the obituary of The Law Society Journal of Jan. 24, 1891, said that Mr. John Luke Haigh, solicitor, of Selby, died on December 5th, at the age of ninety. He was articled to Mr Edward Parker of Selby, and admitted a Solicitor in the Easter Term 1840. Mr Haigh joined the Wesleyan Methodists about sixty years ago, and became an active member of that body and a local preacher. ... He leaves three daughters and two sons. ... He was buried on the 10th ult. at the quiet little churchyard of Brayton, near his residence, ...

So one of the 1838 witnesses to George Hood's Signature and Seal was a Wesleyan Methodist.

Kind regards, Mark

George Hood's Witness in 1838, who was articled and became a Solicitor in 1840, was a Wesleyan Methodist.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
This John Spencer of Scarborough, Mariner, linked to Maudland Hood.

The Scarborough St Mary's Churchyard M.I. ...

Head Stone -
Sacred/
to the Memory of/
MARY the wife of/
JOHN SPENCER/
who departed this life/
August (?g) 18??/
aged (33 or 83) years.

I should of looked for year of this and an age, in the m/f Registers, whilst at Beverley, because the compiler has not tried to find the Register entry, possibly due to not having the year.

Due to OCR sometimes being poor and too many returns, if I had a year date, I could manually search the Death columns on the BNA.

Also, I  got the Will of Catherine Spencer, Wife of Scarborough (from TNA), 1782
... my late Uncle Henry Rowe, late of Bloomsbury Square, London, Esquire ...
... Wife of Robert Spencer of Scarborough in the county of York ...
... Mother in Law Mary Spencer ...
... my Son [?first name?] Paxton Spencer ...
... my Son Hutton Rowe Spencer ...
... my Sister Jane Rowe ...
... my Brother Anthony Rowe ...
... my Husband Robert Spencer ...

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D622184

I should like to find out if she had a residence in Scarborough.

Her children (named in the Will) and the one by whom she was pregnant were left £700 each too! Some of them appear at various places in England as adults, later.

Regards Mark

EDIT: Added a headstone M.I., from Scarborough 18??, is the corresponding Register entry online please? If I had her age confirmed as 83 and a year date, it might be worth me searching the deaths in the BNA manually.

Hello

This may not join the dots up with my George Hood, but might help tie up a Scarborough Mariner HOOD, with others?

Catherine Spencer (Wife) of Scarborough, PCC Will Proved 1782, linked to the ROWE family.

John HOOD, Widower, to Sarah HAMMOND, Widow
Regarding the 17th August 1778 (Bishop of London) Marriage Bond of John Hood of Scarboro' in the County of York Mariner, John Hood's Bondsman was John ROE.

Interesting that the Marriage Bondsman (London Bond) for John Hood, Widower, of Scarborough, Mariner, was recorded as John Roe?

I wonder if ROE and ROWE are the same family?

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

I'd certainly consider ROE as a corruption of Rowe. I have lots of Cornish Rowe/Row/Roe ancestors in my tree  :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

Thanks for that.

17th August 1778.
LONDON Diocese
Appeared personally John Hood and made Oath, that he is of Scarboro' in the County of York a Widower and intendeth to marry with Sarah Hammond of the Parish of Saint Giles in The Fields in the County of Middlesex a Widow.

Included Bloomsbury and other places
https://stgilesonline.org/history/

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: Sunday 29 September 19 00:04 BST (UK) »

As children we used to see a lot of our Grandmother Hood

In the deepest depths of my memory I very vaguely recall and she could of mentioned these places for any reason whatsover ...

Snaith, because as a very young boy I though it was something you should say when you sneezed.

Beverley, because I used to think as a very young boy, that is a girl's name.

Hello

In the next grave, to my John Hood & nee Sarah Richardson (Watchmaker's Daughter) grave spaces, is a J. Hallewell on the Plan (no headstone) and looking in documents, the Hallewell's were related by Marriage to my Watchmaker Richardsons ;D

My John Hood ancestor (with a headstone) was even a witness at the 1850 Beverley marriage and also the marriage further corroborates with my Richardson, Watchmaker line.

Also a link to the place of Beverley mentioned by my late Grandmother, is true. Wondering about other historical stuff mentioned.

Awaiting an 1805 Richardson Will now.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 03:37 BST (UK) »
Did you ever visit the graveyard at Long Drax where it is said head & flat stone epitaphs from Selby Quaker burial ground were moved to. I'm thinking maybe some older early 19th or late 18th century Hood burials are at Drax or Long Drax ?

George Hood's early life as a child maybe difficult to hunt out  ??? but his none existent vocational paper trail history to the high standards required for his various trades of occupational skills for his known years he spent in Selby     -      is the biggest mystery. ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 15:41 BST (UK) »
Did you ever visit the graveyard at Long Drax where it is said head & flat stone epitaphs from Selby Quaker burial ground were moved to. I'm thinking maybe some older early 19th or late 18th century Hood burials are at Drax or Long Drax ?

George Hood's early life as a child maybe difficult to hunt out  ??? but his none existent vocational paper trail history to the high standards required for his various trades of occupational skills for his known years he spent in Selby     -      is the biggest mystery. ???

Thanks dobfarm

The Drax Quaker Burial ground location has been ploughed over.

The YAS (Yorks Arch. Soc.) Survey of M.I. for Selby Quaker Burial Ground says ... No Stones. Those Headstones currently at Selby are known to be from Drax Quaker Burials.

Leeds Brotherton Library Spec. Collections have no Selby, Quaker Graves Plan.

----------

Incredible the HOODs were well known and recorded in a number of types of documents for Selby, but today confirmation of their origin, is proving elusive.

Mark