Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67756 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Would there be any likely or possible physical meetings of each other in time frame 1786 in place unknown ? to 1812  then 1812 in Selby (or Holmfirth from 1806 ->) to 1845 or direct family connections being between George Hood d 1845 of Selby and Rev Cockin a long term minister of Holmfirth that may suggest anything.  ???  ie:- Rev Cockin's roots of place he was brought up.

Bit in this book about Selby and Settle

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xv5dAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA346&lpg=PA346&dq=rev+john+cockin+selby&source=bl&ots=vsU8k-V10w&sig=3zrPLXXzVzwCJICjIN5msmIl308&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje6q6b1NnKAhWJoD4KHW5aAsQQ6AEIIzAA#v=onepage&q=rev%20john%20cockin%20selby&f=false

book by Rev Joseph Cockin and son John

https://www.calderdale.gov.uk/wtw/search/controlservlet?PageId=Detail&DocId=100959
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 04 February 16 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm and All

Thanks for that Google books link, regarding Rev David Senior being at the Independent Chapel, Selby.

The newspapers also confirm David Senior was at Selby Independent Chapel when George Hood died in September 1845.

When George Hood purchased some of his Wren Lane, Selby, premises from the Manor, the 1835 Sale advert confirms George Hood was a Tenant of one of the Lots being sold and one of George Hood's Undertenants was John Green.

Done a search either side of 1845 with the name David Senior and found this in York Herald 8 April 1848, that the Rev David Senior, Selby Independent married Samuel Wand, linen draper, to Miss Green, eldest daughter of Mr. John Green, all of that place.

Suggesting John Green, possibly the same John Green as George Hood's 1835 Undertenant, was of the Independent Church.

Apparently, c.1839 David Senior Pastor was formerly of Brotherton.

Hull Advertiser Friday 20th June 1845
Another, marriage by Rev David Senior at the Independent Chapel, Selby, mentions Mr Samuel Hutchinson of Bradford, sharebroker, marrying Ellen, daughter of John Adams, Esq., of the former place.

Although George Hood in his Will (1846 Probate) appointed Jonathan Hutchinson as Arbitrator. There was a Jonathan Hutchinson connected with the Society of Friends at Selby.

However, after seeing Samuel Hutchinson of Bradford apparently linked to the Independent Chapel, George Hood's 1846 Probate might be referring to another Jonathan Hutchinson, who was of the Independent Chapel.

'The Legal Observer' Volume 17. November 1838, regarding a Report of the Commissioners on Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths, Not Parochial.
... has some very interesting general information about the deposited dissenter / non-conformist BMD Registers, apparently some Registers were returned by the Registrar General back to the Chapel, due to insufficient detail, not witnessed etc., so I assume returned Registers may still be with the Chapel, or with the successor church organisation. So if they are not in the RG series at TNA, Registers may still exist ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CJRRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=burials+of+Independents&source=bl&ots=55T27d2hS1&sig=zsa0xCZcv4v4LvfgfIGaotl8DiE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq0aq7nt3KAhXBG5QKHdS_ChsQ6AEIKjAH

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 04 February 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »
1786 to 1812 Stuff or hard facts known

My attention is now on Gateshead with Capt George Hood mariner of South Shields owning property in Cloughton near Scarborough in his Will  &  the Hood 's at Newburn  (Newcastle to Scarborough link- link Scarborough to Selby-Pack boat ships)

May lead nowhere or somewhere  ???

Something brought Maudland Hood to Selby from Scarborough and John Hood father a mariner of Scarborough 1775 and marriage 1763 to Elizabeth

Burial 1803 Jane wife (does not say late John Hood) of John Hood the mariner of Selby

John Hood burial 1819 Selby no occupation known ? (must be some info on John between 1803 and 1819 in Selby  ???)

Near dockside is Wren lane with George Hood a Cooper 1812 Est birth year age 28 in 1815 marriage to Sarah = born  1786/87
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

I've looked at all those Hood Wills online via the Durham Uni web-site (link in #393). Shame the Borthwick don't have the Yorkshire, Hood, Wills online, in same format, as we ran out of time, to view the whole list of Wills.

William Hood, Selby, died 1870, aged 54 (George and Sarah Hood's son) was a Quaker, so been in touch with York Quakers and they sent me a link to this pdf document, of their Yorkshire burial grounds
http://www.yorkquakers.org.uk/Resources/Burial%20Grounds%202015.pdf

So I'll keep trying and get up to Yorkshire again and Hull (for Mariners records) soon, in the Spring.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

I've looked at all those Hood Wills online via the Durham Uni web-site (link in #393). Shame the Borthwick don't have the Yorkshire, Hood, Wills online, in same format, as we ran out of time, to view the whole list of Wills.

William Hood, Selby, died 1870, aged 54 (George and Sarah Hood's son) was a Quaker, so been in touch with York Quakers and they sent me a link to this pdf document, of their Yorkshire burial grounds
http://www.yorkquakers.org.uk/Resources/Burial%20Grounds%202015.pdf

So I'll keep trying and get up to Yorkshire again and Hull (for Mariners records) soon, in the Spring.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark

So if William was a Quaker son of George Hood & Sarah Russell 

Sarah HOOD (nee ARUNDEL) and her ancestors. Sarah was born 15th February 1831 at Selby, Yorkshire, England. Her father was John ARUNDEL. Sarah married James HOOD at Selby Abbey on 27-12-1851 and they subsequently moved to Derby, England with their 9 children. Sarah died at Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England on 22-08-1911 and was buried in the Quaker burial ground.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~quakers/qq7-97.htm

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just been on FindMyPast looking for the burial of Rev. William Hood L.L., who died at Newark Hospital 17th September 1924. I have made a Clergy Enquiry to the C of E and hopeful they might assist.

You might as well add William to the current 'no known burial list' for the moment!

William Hood born 1849 was the brother of my 2 x Gt. Grandfather George Hood born Selby 1847. William started as a Railway Clerk, eventually moving to Salford where he was a 'Clerk of Holy Orders' and in 1916 moved to Barnby in the Willows, Newark, Notts, as Vicar.

The Nottingham Evening Post 19 September 1924 piece says:-
The death has taken place, at Newark Hospital, of the Rev. Wm. Hood, vicar of Barnby who was in his 76th year. He was taken seriously ill on Tuesday, and preached as recently as Sunday week. He was formerly at Selby and Salford.

Mark

Hello dobfarm

Thanks for that link, it seems none of the Selby Hoods, want to reveal their last resting place, or burial information!

Willam Hood (baptised Selby 1816), Quaker
Regarding William Hood, Selby, d.1870, aged 54, a Quaker, the Quakers response from York, highlighted that pdf doc., so I have emailed the specific Quaker burials, email address.

William Hood (born Selby 1849), C of E
Regarding the Reverend William Hood (son of my 3 X Gt. Grandfather John Hood, Tanner of Selby), I have a reply from Lambeth Palace ...

No burial information!
HOOD William
Barnby Vicarage Newark, Notts 1916
Gross Inc. 280 l, Net 262 l and Ho; Pop. 225.
St Matthias, Salford, 1909 - 1916
St Bart. Bolton, Lancs., 1904 - 1909
Compstall, 1901 - 1904
Harpurhey 1895 - 1901
C of St. Barn. Man 1891 - 1895
St Bees 1890

There are some symbols and other Val. in l., Bp. of Man., information

St Bees was a Theological College.

London Gazette 14 December, 1926 page 8223
Reverend William Hood, Deceased.
Solicitors Notice by T. A. Needham, Solicitor and Administrator, of Manchester, regarding the distribution of his estate.
says he was late of the Vicarage, Barnby-in-the-Willows, Newark, Notts.
died 17th September 1924.

I was rather hoping that one of these two William Hood characters (both born Selby, bap.1816 & b.1849), might be buried in a Family plot somewhere and their burial information, lead me to the last resting place of the other Selby Hoods, including, hopefully more family information! But their burials, at the moment are also elusive!

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

(A descendant downstream twig off shoot course of life )

I would think the Rev William Hood b 1849 being his own choice of residential lifetime locations as well as his burial place would have came about through his job or vocation being George Hood d 1845 was dead & buried before  Rev William was born 1849 and these locations had nothing to do with any George Hood d 1845 - pre 1812 residences or birth place 1787 ish  or his burial place 1845.

Important info - Rev Willaim Hood  was C of E not a Quaker

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 18 February 16 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

Collinson to Elly - Ann Elly, Spinster of the City of York and George Hood of Selby
The second Deed, now being re-read indicates Petre [Lord of the Manor], has apparently sold the property called Ousegate to James Collinson of Selby and a William Collinson and George Hood of Selby and Ann Elly, a Spinster of the City of York and Edward [?] of Selby.

Regards Mark

I am beginning to wonder if there was any family relationship between Hood of Selby and James Collinson, or whether it was business only?

I believe I am discovering more about the 1838 Deed (mentioning George Hood), sold along with an 1864 Trust Deed, which I missed on ebay a few years back (now described very briefly on Worthpoint).

Leeds Intelligencer 2nd August 1851.
DEATHS
Selby ... On the 26th ult., aged 72, Mr James Collinson, cordwainer.

I can't get to the Library and wondered where James Collinson was born in the 1851 Census, please?

York Herald Saturday 9th July 1864.
Valuable freeholds in Selby being sold by Auction by Order of the Trustee under the Will of Mr James Collinson, deceased

Properties listed ...

Particulars may be had on application to Mr William Hood, of Wren Lane, The Trustee

Is James Collinson's Will listed under the York Wills (at Borthwick), or listed under Wakefield, please?

I have seen the listing of the Will of John Hood Tanner of Selby (Wakefield, I think from memory), although this is later than George Hood's 1846 Probate, I will order these.

There is an unconfirmed, (which I do not know if true, or not), suggestion online, that a Jane Collinson married a Thomas Hood 1850 and Jane died in 1851. It is also suggested (don't know if true, or not) that Jane Collinson was the daughter of William Collinson born Middleton in Teesdale 20 November 1799?

Whether, this online site, is just making a load of random suggestions, I don't know?

But, it has left me wondering if there is a Hood / Collinson link, which could give me an unknown Hood and whether these Collinson's have a link with Selby.

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 18 February 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Is there a year to this John Hood Tanner Selby Will held at Wakefield or did you mean a John Hood ? mariner 1819 Will Selby at Wakefield