Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67075 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #54 on: Friday 26 February 16 20:16 GMT (UK) »
We know George Hood d 1845 could write as marriage 1815 register & bond allegation, the only school in Selby around 1785 seems to be  a charity school which ran from 1758 to 1802 and admissions to the school held at WYAS Leeds

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=LC01809&pos=21

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the 18th century Selby, long a river port of no little consequence, became something of a transport hub, thought to have handled some 500 seagoing ships amounting to more than 300,000 tonnes of cargo per annum in its heyday.

A lot of mariners (Sailors) must visited Selby 18th century

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/history/town/Selby40/

Hello dobfarm

Thanks for the replies and link, to the description below ...

SELBY. ADMISSION REGISTER AND ACCOUNT BOOK OF A CHARITY SCHOOL FUNDED BY THE AMICABLE SOCIETY (WYL703) 1758 to 1802.
I am wondering if the above was also the Bluecoats School, Selby, at some point.

Hull History Centre have some Mariner information and some of the vessels sailing Selby to Hull, with Masters apparently listed in their circa 1790s copy of the Universal British Directory under Hull. There is a 1795 Register at Hull.

Regarding Ann Collinson of Selby The Leeds Mercury 30 June 1838 says ...

Same day, at Bethesda Chapel, Selby, by the Rev. John Robertson, Mr. Wm. Midgley, to Miss Ann Collinson, both of Selby. This being the first marriage in that chapel, the parties were presented with a copy of Bagster's Polyglott Bible.

Regarding James Collinson of Selby a Cordwainer, who died July 1851, aged 72, he was a Cordwainer / Shoemaker, so George Hood / John Hood, Tanners - James Collinson (Shoemaker) link at Selby, may have been business only, although William Hood of Wren Lane, Selby was a Trustee of James Collinson's Will according to the later July 1864 Sale of properties at Selby.

I am putting the Collinson information on here, hoping that a Collinson family history searcher, may have come across George Hood of Selby (Tanner) my 4 X Gt. Grandfather, who had also acquired property at Selby from James Collinson and others.

The Deeds sold on ebay about 2013 (which I missed) had an 1838 list of properties George Hood was to buy or lease and was coincidentally sold with an 1864 Trust Deed.

John Hood, Selby, Tanner, [my 3 X Gt. Grandfather] was appointed with others to serve on the Grand Jury announced in the Leeds Intelligencer 10 April 1852, p.6.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 26 February 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Looking at these Selby School records are a must! Good spot, thank you.

Agree, George Hood of Selby can sign his name well and appears to be educated.

If John Hood, Master of a vessel, was his father, I expect he would be educated, as navigation around the coasts to Ireland required Mathematical skills, to calculate, distances, direction, wind speed and drift of the vessel.

Regarding James Collinson, I found this ...

York Herald - 23 August 1851 and 6 September 1851
To be Let, a Dwelling House, Shop and Other Premises behind, well situated in the town of Selby, wherein the business of a Boot and Shoemaker has been successfully carried on for upwards of Twenty years by the late Mr. James Collinson. For particulars, apply to Mrs Collinson, on the Premises; or Mr. Wm. Hood, Selby.
The remaining portion of the stock may be taken at valuation or not.

I get the feeling that George Hood, Tanner, probably supplied James Collinson, Boot and Shoemaker of Selby, with leather.

Also discovered 12 August 1870, Leeds Mercury, when Mrs Hood, offered for sale to Curriers and Leather Cutters, William Hood's business, which also said ... N.B. Also a Malt Kiln which might be used as a Warehouse. Apply to Mrs Wm. Hood, Wren Lane, Selby.

This William Hood (George Hood's son) had died in 1870, aged 54, listed as a Quaker.

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 26 February 16 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

When looking at marine records, all we know was Jane Hood burial 1803 husband was a mariner  and no mention of being a captain or master mariner -so don't rule out this John Hood could have been a deckhand or ordinary rating sailor.......
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 27 February 16 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thanks, I will look for, Masters, Sailors, Deck hands, links to Selby, Scarborough, Hull, Sunderland, Gateshead, Durham, Newcastle, etc.

I will look out for the John Hood, Captain / Master in the following thread, to see if he was a different John Hood ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.0

These Selby School Admissions at WYAS are a must, first, to see if they confirm, if George Hood went to that School at Selby as a boy.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 27 February 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
One other thing that still bothers me is the age difference in John and George Hood

John Hood b 1737

George Hood b 1787 ish

50 years difference in age (could be John was George's granddad)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 28 February 16 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Another after thought ?

If John Hood was a captain ? it likely he was educated with a decent IQ , thus his marriage(s) register copy to Elizabeth Spencer and possible later John Hood a widower ? 2nd wife Elizabeth Leppington marriage may show his signature style ** or left his mark X, also would indicate to a point his status of IQ at sea or inland waterway navigations as a mariner.

** Signature style - ~ - scratchy child like scroll writing not use to writing a lot or swarve with positive style to indicate personality of confidence.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 28 February 16 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Spencer and Elizabeth Leppington we thought are "one of the same".  Elizabeth Spencer married John Leppington, and then John Hood (although marriage register doesn't give any details of marital status or occupation).  The signature is definitely a positive style.   
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 28 February 16 16:59 GMT (UK) »
The headache is who the heck was Jane Hood burial 1803 Selby wife of John Hood the mariner.