Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67225 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 16 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Goughy found it and Ruth52 post, just before yours ...

Just for future reference for you

Nathanial Hood of Selby married Anne Loftas 1732 at Brayton

Deaths

Nathanial Hood, Skinner, Malton 1745
Nathanial Hood, Household, 1751 Heslington

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 January 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »

I don't feel that we should quite dismiss this yet, on the basis that George Hood born / baptised 1781Topcliffe by Thirsk, became the Soldier who died Leeds Sept 1845 aged 63. Although whether John Hood mariner of Selby fits with this, or our George, I don't know ...

Just for clarity - the George Hood 1781 born BURNISTON turned out to be the soldier who died in Leeds so Topcliffe one not traced. 
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 January 16 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Next R.O. visit (in future) will have to cover a search of Scarborough Registers and the other Mariners records at Hull.

Don't think you saw this

If this George did not die by 1815 then John is unlikey to be George's dad unless your George is fibbing about his age on 1841c and to the person who recorded his Death 1845

Baptism --- George Hood son of John & Elizabeth Hood 1771 Scarborough (BT's)

Can't find a death for this George as infant or adult before 1815

Offline cassie18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 January 16 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I've not gone through all the replies to your request re grave in Selby. Look here http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Selby/index.html#Cemeteries  for cemeteries for Selby. I have ancestors who lived and died in Selby but I've not searched for a grave. Must get round to it. Our ancestors may have crossed paths as there were landlords/ladies in Selby.
Meace, Samworth, Till, Glew, Barnes.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 January 16 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I read somewhere the Methodist Chapel Selby stands on a earlier building ground also the Abbey graveyard had a un consecrated section.  Brayton Methodist Chapel may have a burial section in the parish graveyard.

This link gives nonconformist chapels erection years around Selby

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LlVDree72SEC&pg=PA171&lpg=PA171&dq=hambleton+wesleyan+methodist+chapel&source=bl&ots=jHFq9UUtxO&sig=Bq19Hc1sd8M4SbWQSKealV9lTDs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW3Jbj_qrKAhUEQhQKHVg4BQIQ6AEIPjAF#v=onepage&q=hambleton%20wesleyan%20methodist%20chapel&f=false

Thanks for the link.

The 'Faculty' file at the Borthwick of when work was carried out on the floor, has no plan attached.

1842 Registrar General
Also found this regarding places ... Registered for Marriages

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=EzUJAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA110&lpg=PA110&dq=Bethesda+chapel+Selby&source=bl&ots=wJkH4t9a5B&sig=IYv4GmDOXD8bxhsw2vsaECSUqSs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD_5Sb1bPKAhVJOhQKHRArBNsQ6AEIKzAH

Seems the Selby Catholics used The Carlton Catholic Chapel - Carlton in the Parish of Snaith.

Bethesda Chapel, Selby.
Apparently, some Independant Chapels now come under the United Reformed Church.

The 'West Riding Hearth Tax' book, although this would be too early, the only two Hoods were:-
p.325 Carelton (Carlton) m.9 Robte Hood & forge 2 hearths 1672
p.188 Dringhouses f364 c1 Willm Hood 1 hearth 1672

EDIT - Thank you Cassie, Selby Landlords you can find a few in the:-
a) The Universal British Directory ... c.1795, one of the volumes covers Selby "Volume the Fourth." limited to main occupants only, but worth looking!
b) The Selby Directory for the Year 1800 ... in a book by Mountain
c) Directory of Selby, by Edward Baines Published in 1822.
d) Pigots, National Commercial Directory for 1828-9 and
e) The Tourists Companion ... by E. Parsons 1835 includes "The Directory. Selby"

All can be downloaded for free, mostly from:- archive.org , or Google books, or Open Library. Don't forget checking British Library free downloads too.

I avoid sites, where they ask you for your email address first.

Regards Mark

Offline cassie18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 January 16 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mark, Ive checked Bains and Piggots but not the others.
Meace, Samworth, Till, Glew, Barnes.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 January 16 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

This business of burial for non-conformists and dissenters is more complicated than I realised ...

Here is a page with links, which dicusses some problems they encountered and why ...
http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/unitarianpresbyterian-records-amp-registers-nonconformist/151/

My Grandfather Hood married at a Methodist Chapel.

However, looking at the family photocopies again, I noticed a Selby Abbey baptism:-

Name ... Edith Mary
The child of ... George and Cecilia Hood
Was Baptised on ... 26th December 1875 at Selby Abbey
Godparents ... Wigston Fields Leicestershire
Signed ... F. W. Harper Cannon Vicar

So my 2 X Gt. Grandparents had at least one child baptised in Selby Abbey.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Township records: Selby

1701-1974

http://archives.northyorks.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=14&dsqSearch=%28%28text%29%3D%27selby%20%27%29

Minutes of the vestry 1790-1873
Accounts including overseers of the poor records, church rates, highway rates and workhouse records 1701-1819.
Land Tax Assessments 1753-1807.
Overseers of the poor papers including apprenticeship indentures, vouchers and correspondence 1829-1835. 
Copies Parts of this collection have been microfilmed [MIC 1784, 1805, 1806, 1808, 1809, 1810, 1829, 1857, 1858, 1859, 1860, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1878
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm, Goughy, Bumblebee and All

Reading Morrell's 1867 History and Antiquities of Selby and found various early 19th Century references to religious dissent at Selby. It seems Selby had its dissenters, Methodism, Unitarians, etc.

A search indicated Hoods of Bardon Park were also dissenters.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardon_Park_Chapel

As you have said, this probably accounts for some marriages by Licence, with no baptism or burial in the Parish Register. Some changed denominations, as it suited them.

Some dissenters paid to be buried at Private Cemeteries elsewhere, which were springing up in the main Cities.

It was sometimes difficult to bury unbaptised children. A case in the 1870s shocked the country where the family were too poor to pay for the child to be transported and the higher burial fees elsewhere. The local graveyard relented and allocated a grave near the boundary wall. The paper says that two men lowered the coffin into the grave, but the Service had to be held the other side (outside) of the boundary wall.

Sounds like, us making a visit to Yorkshire, but a record may not survive.

Mark