Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67767 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 03 March 16 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

Regarding 1838, George Hood, George Hood of Selby, Brewer (possibly the same George Hood) and James Collinson appear to own many properties in Ousegate. The document refers to properties built and improved by Samuel Nicholson Innkeeper, a further 9 newly errected properties, eight cottages and 14 other properties in Ousegate Selby and a 4 acre piece of the Outwoods of Selby and 2 pews in the Parish Church.

Document, is a bit complex for me to fully understand, but George Hood must have been quite well off and James Collinson of Selby having enough income/wealth to enter into this transaction.

In the Registry it would appear properties were transferring to James Collinson and the entry has been Signed and Sealed by George Hood L.S. [apparently meaning Locus Sigilli, the Seal of George Hood] in the presence of Henry Birkinshaw and John Luke Haigh.

Those involved are:-
Bridget Nicholson of Rawcliffe Widow of Samuel Nicholson late of the same place Innkeeper deceased
Samuel Nicholson of Rawcliffe the only son and Heir at Law of the said Samuel Nicholson deceased
Samuel Smith of Armin Pastures in the County of York Gentleman
George Smith of Goole in the County of York Surgeon
the sons of George Smith of Armin Pastures Farmer

William Bowland late of Rawcliffe in the Parish of Snaith, Farmer
Abraham Hodgson of Kingston upon Hull, Gentleman
Hannah Carter Clark of Howden only child and Heiress at Law of John Clark late of Potter Grange in the Township of Airmin in the County of York
William Mitton late of Selby but now of Stamford in the County of Lincoln Gentleman

James Collinson of Selby, Shoemaker
George Hood
Edward Parker of same place Gentleman

Ousegate properties belonging to several parties were transferring to James Collinson. George Hood L.S. signing the entry in the Property Register, also affixing his Seal in the original document (pictured by my user name on Rootschat). [This was possibly why William Hood (George Hood's son) was a sole Trustee to James Collinson's Will].

A general note, that according to the London Gazette, Whitehall, March 18, 1814 William Mitton of Selby was appointed by the Lord Chancellor to be Master Extraordinary of the High Court of Chancery.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 03 March 16 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Grave of Mrs Jane Hood of Selby

London Gazette Notice 2 December 1887

Now, therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the
advice of Her Privy Council, is pleased to order,
and it is hereby ordered, that no new burial-ground
shall be opened in the undermentioned parishes
without the previous approval of one of Her
Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State, and that
burials in the said parishes shall be discontinued,
as follows, viz.:—

SELBY SAINT JAMES.—Forthwith and entirely
in the Friends' Meeting House, in the parish
of Saint James, Selby; and also in the burial-
ground, except for the burial of Mrs. Jane
Hood, at her decease.

It would appear that the right to bury Mrs Jane Hood of Selby was protected?

EDIT:- Searched Jane Hood deaths (until 1930) and there was a Jane Casson Hood aged 76, registered in the District of Selby, March Qtr 1894.

Jane C. Hood, Selby, 76, 1894, Widow of William Hood is listed in The Annual Monitor published 1895, whereas George Hood dying 1845 is not listed in the edition for 1845, so even if her burial record was found, it may not find the missing Hood burials.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 04 March 16 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

Regarding 1838, George Hood, George Hood of Selby, Brewer (possibly the same George Hood) and James Collinson appear to own many properties in Ousegate. The document refers to properties built and improved by Samuel Nicholson Innkeeper, a further 9 newly errected properties, eight cottages and 14 other properties in Ousegate Selby and a 4 acre piece of the Outwoods of Selby and 2 pews in the Parish Church.

In the Registry it would appear properties were transferring to James Collinson and the entry has been Signed and Sealed by George Hood L.S. [apparently meaning Locus Sigilli, the Seal of George Hood] in the presence of Henry Birkinshaw and John Luke Haigh.

Just added the bit about John Luke Haigh

Summarising the obituary of The Law Society Journal of Jan. 24, 1891, said that Mr. John Luke Haigh, solicitor, of Selby, died on December 5th, at the age of ninety. He was articled to Mr Edward Parker of Selby, and admitted a Solicitor in the Easter Term 1840. Mr Haigh joined the Wesleyan Methodists about sixty years ago, and became an active member of that body and a local preacher. ... He leaves three daughters and two sons. ... He was buried on the 10th ult. at the quiet little churchyard of Brayton, near his residence, ...

So one of the 1838 witnesses to George Hood's Signature and Seal was a Wesleyan Methodist.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 04 March 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Only Hood Listed index page 210- Quaker Index book 1813 to 1892

William Hood died Selby 1870 aged 54 ~ Annual Volume Book date 1871 page 32

https://archive.org/details/quakerrecordsbe00greegoog

I  think you can rule George Hood death 1845 Selby out as a Quaker

Most likely wife Jane C Hood was the Quaker before marriage and adapted her husband William Hood into the faith after marriage
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 10 March 16 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

I have been to Leeds (WYAS) archives this morning to look at the Selby Charity School accounts and admissions Book 1758 to 1802.- WYL 703

There are plenty of adult names & school children aged 6 to 10 year olds and later apprenticeships but unfortunately there were no children or adults surnamed Hood in the book .

I double checked this very deeply detailed book over 3 hours this morning which covered a lot of towns people of Selby in the time period of the book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

( Are we being distracted by her)  Maudland Hood married  in Selby links to Scarborough

(Is she the key  ???) Jane Hood burial 1803 Selby *Jane 'Who' Husband John the mariner
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 10 March 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave

Thank you, that was most kind of you to visit and have a look at the School Register.

I had emailed Leeds last week and was awaiting a reply.

In the Selby land tax records from 1781 a "J. Hood" and then a "Mr Hood" is an occupier of a Tenement at Selby until 1802, then a gap of the Hood surname in the Selby Land Tax until 1812.

The Selby Window Tax of 1788 was also searched carefully and no Hood was listed, suggesting the building had no windows. I thought about this again today - what if this tenement was a warehouse within the riverside area classed as the Port of Selby.

Newspaper search has found this ... Leeds Mercury 4th April 1829

Thursday, April 2 Special Jury.
HULL DOCK COMPANY v. BROWN
All the custom house regulations at Hull proceeded on a supposition that all places within the river Ouse as far as Selby, were within the Port of Hull, and even the City of York itself, was described, in old writings, as a creek in the port of Hull.
... vessels from Selby, Gainsbro', and other intermediate places, were all registered as being of the port of Hull.

If George Hood's father was John Hood, mariner of Selby and after reading the above, then we must come up to the Hull Archives, which we are planning.

The second point, is that when George Hood appears in the Selby Land Tax of 1812, the names of two other characters appear with George Hood. However, the Selby Land Tax records are in order alphabetically by Occupier, rather than building order.

These three chaps, seem to appear at Selby in the same Land Tax year. However, they may not have arrived together, or even be in the same premises, due to L.Tax being in occupier surname order. ...
Howden George
Howing William
Hood George

W & G Hawden is listed as a Brewer at Selby in 1847, seeking a Brewer, who understands the business and has good references, suggesting they may have been brewing a while, be retiring now and want someone to take over their brewing buziness.

I am wondering if there might be a link, Hood the Cooper who was a Brewer by 1826 when Richard Hood was baptised and surname Howden / Hawden (if they are the same person).

The third point is that some Independent / non-conformist Chapels referred to having their own schools in the early 19th Century, which left me wondering if they had schools earlier. Also there were several private Tutors at Selby.

Sadly, we don't have a Selby record linking my George Hood at Selby to another place, or anyone else (only links to his offspring).

Thank you and kind regards, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 11 March 16 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave, Goughy, Bumblebee and All

This is only an OCR version and a scan of the original is really required, but it seems to link some of the Hood families in Yorkshire, to Lincolnshire and Berwickshire.
http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/A_Genealogical_and_Heraldic_Dictionary_of_the_Landed_Gentry_of_Great_1000731022/571

1 A. Using the British Newspaper Archive, Wells Hood - Wine and Sprit Merchant of Mint Yard, York, can be linked to Richard Hood Wine Merchant of Stamford Bridge.

Also Wells Hood, has acquired property from Joseph Rowntree of York, per online catalogue of the Hull History Centre
U DDFA/13/404 Abstract of Deed of Renunciation: Joseph Rowntree grocer to Wells Hood wine merchant both of York. Trusteeship under Will of Will. Scholefield of York innkeeper.

1 B. Will of Richard Hood of Catwick Oct 1816 my son Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge, Grocer ... daughter Hannah Quadell of the same place ... my son William Hood of Catwick ...

2. In previous posts you looked into John Hardcastle Jackson married to Ann Hood at Catton in 1818, (due to a John Jackson and a Richard Jackson of Selby).

Yorkshire Gazette 24 February 1849, I have found the Inquest report of John Hardcastle Jackson aged 53 years, a Lock Keeper at Stamford Bridge and he accidentally drowned at Stamford Bridge, it was thought crossing a lock gate. His wife raised the alarm when he failed to return home after having a drink and he was found the next morning in the canal, near a lock gate, that he likely crossed.

So John Hardcastle Jackson at death, was not a Currier or Tanner.

3. Hood of Baldersby has transacted with Joseph Leadley in 1810 and might possibly be linked to John Leadlay of Cloughton and the Hood - Leadley, both in the Scalby Monumental Inscriptions and/or John Leadley son of John Hood of Nettleham according to a family notice - York Herald 25 February 1837
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736364.0

U DDFA/8/108 Copy Reconveyance: William Wright and John Hood to Joseph Leadley (all as U DDFA/8/83) on redemption of mortgage as U DDFA/8/83.

U DDFA/8/83 Copy Lease and Release: for £1417.9s.: Mark Hesp and Matthew Bottrill to Joseph Leadley of Grey Leas yeoman and wife Ann
Farm, part of Gray Leas: which is then mortgaged to William Wright jnr., and John Hood of Baldersby Gents.

4 A. In 1830 Skipwith Hall, near Selby was being let by John Hood of Nettleham, Lincolnshire.

4 B. This is new, but the other day, I discovered that a bankruptcy case appears to mention John Hood of Nettleham with John Fothergill of Selby, but I have not yet searched for other information about this ...

The Law Journal for the Year 1832-1949:
January 1844 ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=j4YDAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA2-PA5&lpg=RA2-PA5&dq=%22John+Hood%22+Fothergill+Selby&source=bl&ots=Mg2JAr_EJ6&sig=h5lpZ7F4Zt59sLdY85gxV3arytk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj128nuj7jLAhUEBBoKHZzeDjYQ6AEIJzAC

4 C. However, according to the poor OCR (link at the top) a GRACE FOTHERGILL was also married into the family of John Hood of Nettleham, again it might be a coincidence, but there is this HOOD - FOTHERGILL link.

Also the 1844 John Hood case (4 B. above) links to John Fothergill of Selby.

4 D. Incidentally, rgarding a Yafforth Sale in the Yorkshire Gazette 28 July 1827 a Mr John Fothergill, of Aiskew near Bedale "will shew the Estate" , Messrs Blanchard and Richardson Solicitors York and Messrs Maugham and Fothergill of 17 Great James Street, Bedford-row London were also mentioned in the sale advert regarding the selling of the 353 acre Estate at Yafforth, occupied mainly by Mr John Hood Tenant according to the 1827 Sale Notice.

General Note ... Other newspaper family notices link Hood of Nettleham to various Yorkshire places and John Hood aged 63 was born Yorkshire Kirkbridge in the Parish of Bead?? [Parish of Bedale], according to an 1851 Census for Nettleham.

General Note
I'll add dates and other info later to the above, but these points came into my mind altogether, as I have been going through my notes again and I felt I ought to get them down.

Nothing as yet, directly to my George Hood of Selby, though.

i) However, these Hood of Yorkshire and Nettleham - Fothergill links appearing and the John Hood of Nettleham - John Fothergill of Selby Bankruptcy case, came to my attention.

ii) I even wondered if George Hood of Selby was illegitimate, or had an alias surname at birth, e.g. Leadley?

iii) George Hood (d. Sep 1845), Six of his adult children and finally Sarah Hood his wife (d. Nov 1879) dying at Selby and not being buried at Selby Abbey Church (or Selby Cemetery) has always been a big question, especially when Jane Hood (1803) and John Hood (1819) were buried at Selby.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 11 March 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Crude summaries of two Hood Wills of Baldersby / Topcliffe

Will of John Hood of Baldersby 1794 (proved Topcliffe) my dear wife Elizabeth ... real estate situate within the township of Crake hall ... now in the possession of my son William Hood or his assigns ... my brother in Law William Wright of Baldersby ... my daughter Ann the wife of Thomas Cooper ... Annuity out of my said real Estate at Crakehall aforesaid upon trust ... payments ... my said daughter Ann ... to be paid and equally divided amongst all the children of my said Daughter Ann ... I give and devise unto my son William Hood All that my estate situate within the Township of Crake Hall aforesaid as the same is now in his possession ... my said son John shall continue Tenant to the Farm he now rents under his Grace the Duke of Devonshire at Baldersby aforesaid ... Load of coals from Ulierley Pitts ... son in Law Thomas Cooper ... Daughter Ann Cooper his wife ... 3 December 1792 ... Seal April 1794

Will of John Hood of Baldersby October 1814 Topcliffe
I John Hood of Baldersby in the Parish of Topcliffe in the County of York Gentleman ... my dear wife Ruth Hood the Tenant right of my farm ... I give to my daughter Mary the wife of William Morley of the City of London ... £250 ... ref to my present farm at Baldersby ... Estate at Aisenby in the Parish of Topcliffe ... various references to changes in the Will, if remarriage occurs In trust for my three daughters Mary Elizabeth and Ann share and share alike ... at the age of 21 years ... Mary now wife of William Morley she (having already attained the age of twenty one ... John Dale of Skelton Gentleman mentioned William Wright of Baldersby aforesaid Gentleman ... 15 July 1811
Witnesses Jno Coates, Willm Spence, George Christian Clarke pass'd 5 October 1814

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 12 March 16 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Jane Hood (who) burial 1803 and John Hood burial 1819 both born approx. circa  1737 with a 50 year gap [Highly likely a generation gapto George Hood born circa 1786 ish death Selby 1845 could be grandparents of George.
~~~~~~~~---
Jane Marshall X John Hood marriage Pickering again could be grandparents of circa George b1786
~~~~~~~~----
Jane Bell X John Hood Northumberland, maybe grandparents of George Hood baptism 1786 Gateshead

Thus George could have been schooled/apprenticed, in Scarborough, Hull, Pickering or Gateshead/Newcastle ('Packboat John Hood' the mariner or his son as George's father)