Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67766 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 09:55 BST (UK) »

Gibson the Cooper Wren lane Selby

George son of Hannah Gibson of Cottingham (Hull area) (illegitimate) bapt 1786 father ? ( Hood ? )

Thanks dobfarm, I thought that J. Hood occupying at Selby is what you probably meant, but needed to check he was not occupying a Spencer property at Cottingham.

Question: One thing that would really back this theory (in the quote), can anyone, please check the Burial images for a George Hood (death 18 Sept 1845) burial at Cottingham?

I see on Rootschat, that one family history site claims to have put all the East Yorks Registers on, but some events can only be found by place name, apparently? The vagaries of the computer?

When we were at the Borthwick looking at the Parish burials surrounding Selby, it was noticed that people from other Parishes, one with a Leeds Abode, etc., were buried elsewhere.

Thanks Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Saturday 21 May 16 10:30 BST (UK) »
Quote from Goughy Reply #174 of 08 November 2015

Hi Mark

I thought it would be useful to just put down James and Sarah's  family for "tracking purposes"

Mary Ellen Hood b Selby 1853
Elizabeth Cook Hood b Selby 1854
Adeline Hood b Selby 1855
Sarah Hood b Selby 1856
John Wilkinson Hood b Selby 1858
William Russell Hood b Selby 1861
James Alfred Hood b Sunderland  1863
George Arundel Hood b 1866 Selby
Bernard Pearson Hood b 1870 Scarborough

In the 1871 Census, Mary Ellen Hood is staying with a Dobson family in Bowling, Bradford and is stated as "cousin".  The head of household is Thomas Duckworth Dobson b 1829 Wakefield  and his wife Mary Ann b 1833 London, Middlesex.  Thomas Duckworth Dobson married Mary Ann Bateman in 1855 in Selby.

END of Quote

Hello All

No Lookup required. I am placing the information, as I see there are some Ullathorne photos online and I hope to get to the Library later. I have searched one name above and the search engine is defaulting to someone of the same name, in the U.S.

James Hood of Selby died Derby 17 December 1894 aged 66 and his Obituary appears in the Derby Newspapers and the Sheffield Independent newspaper. A report of his Inquest is in the Derby Mercury and Sarah Hood widow was a witness.

The Annual Monitor for 1912 says that Sarah A. Hood was aged 80, of Mansfield and Widow of James Hood.

The Derbyshire Courier 8 November 1902 mentions a William Russell Hood at Shirebrook.
In November 1932 a William Russell Hood, Villa Terrace, Hunslet Carr, is Foreman at Messrs Nicholson and Sons Ltd.

York Herald 29 July 1876 Elizabeth Cook Hood married Mr J. B. Sugars at Selby, all of Scarborough. [ John Blanchard Sugars ]

24 April 1945 "Golden Wedding"
Ullathorne - Hood.
24 April 1895 Thomas Simpson Ullathorne to Mary Beatrice Hood, both of Selby.

It would appear they had two sons (not one per internet source):-
Thomas Edwin Ullathorne who in March 1947 gave his address as 7 St James Terrace, Selby.
and

James Simpson Ullathorne who died 8 August 1918
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/185970/ULLATHORNE,%20JAMES%20SIMPSON

I am very pleased to discover this, as I can rule out the Simpson's bookcase mentioned in the Will (Proved 1895) of Jane C. Hood (widow of William Hood of Selby who died Selby in 1870, aged 54) and Simpson can be ruled out as a possible predecessor surname.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Sunday 22 May 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
William Russell Hood at Shirebrook.

Getting well into Robin Hood country now   8)  -Shirebrook is only 6 miles from Edwinstowe.

The second mystery legend of the Hood dynasty ~ George Hood

;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Sunday 22 May 16 13:51 BST (UK) »
William Russell Hood at Shirebrook.

Getting well into Robin Hood country now   8)  -Shirebrook is only 6 miles from Edwinstowe.

The second mystery legend of the Hood dynasty ~ George Hood

;D

Thanks, G.H. a 'legend'  ;D ? More of a pain in the neck  ???

A John Spencer, Mariner is mentioned in a Will, found at Blythburgh, near Southwold, Suffolk.

I've posted here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg5965482#msg5965482

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Sunday 22 May 16 18:08 BST (UK) »
Well they've been trying centuries to find out who Robin Hood was ! now we have a mystery who George Hood was.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Thursday 26 May 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
Well they've been trying centuries to find out who Robin Hood was ! now we have a mystery who George Hood was.

Hello dobfarm, Goughy and All

No look-ups required, just a summary of thoughts.

No burial by Sheffield General Cemetery Company.
Written to Rotherham, for Cemetery Co Register look-up, but told it will be a while, or I can visit.

Looking at the Selby documents one could assume - John Hood and George Hood of Selby related.

But thinking further:-
a) John Hood a mariner, never left a Will, rented a Millgate property at Selby and believed to be the one buried Selby April 1819, aged 82.

b) George Hood takes over a bankrupt's business (of Cooper, Dealer and Chapman) about 1812, appears to be educated (certainly a nice writer), whilst paying Land Tax on the premises owned by Lord Petre, is fairly successful, buys property (some involving many parties) and then carted off elsewhere, to some unknown place for burial in 1845. Sarah his wife was a straw hat manufacturer and mother and she disappears at death in 1879, too.

Five sons all named after British Kings, William; John; George; Richard and James Hood. (William and James, are known to be Quakers. But John and George buried at Selby Cemetery)

Their three daughters, Mary, Ellen and Sarah and son Richard Hood disappear too.

Illegitimate children appeared in all classes.

George Hood could have been anybody, but his burial, widow and several offspring have been spirited away, almost, as if they had never been there:-

1. to hide a secret.
2. or perhaps George saw the overcrowded Selby Churchyard (a few years later a disgusting description appears in the newspaper) and has a family grave elsewhere.
3. or buried near his birthplace, but with him being called 'George Hood of Selby' it would be logical to say born at Selby, but no Selby Parish Baptism.
4. a Dissenter perhaps, but all his children were Parish baptised.

An expedition to Yorkshire is looming ...

King regards, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello All

There was a Unitarian Chapel in Selby, but apparently no adjoining burial ground at Selby.

Unitarian Chapels found so far, were at:-
Mill Hill Unitarian Chapel Leeds grave registers 1729 -1847 and 1889
Idle, Calverley (WYAS Bradford, 1853 to 1913) [EDIT: TNA info, begin 1853 to 1913]
Todmorden Unitarian
New Malden Unitarian burials 1778 - 1911 Ancestral Indexes [?] Vol. 5

Are the 1845 Burial Registers of the above online please? I can get to the Library, to look at them, if they are on FindMyPast or Ancestry.

Another burial ground is mentioned in Holmfirth, the Lydgate Unitarian Chapel, New Mill, Holmfirth. The Unitarians there, have an old Burial Ground there and say this (below), so I have made enquiries about my George Hood, who died 18 September 1845:-

"We have a grave plan and some marriage, naming and burial records. Please consult our Secretary for details."

Kind regards, Mark

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Friday 27 May 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
The Idle records here: http://www.calverley.info/iuc.htm
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Friday 27 May 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
The Idle records here: http://www.calverley.info/iuc.htm
 Brian

Thanks Brian, for that link.

At least I can rule out the Idle Unitarian Chapel (Idle Highfield Unitarian Chapel) Register at WYAS Bradford, as it starts 1853 to 1913.

Since your post, I have edited my request, to clarify for future researchers, who may find the page.

Idle Unitarian Chapel
1853 to 1913: Register of baptisms, marriages and deaths with a list of church members, WYAS Bradford 14D78.
National Register of Archives 28348 Bradford Archives.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F98789

Kind regards, Mark