Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67747 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #243 on: Friday 05 August 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
This John Spencer of Scarborough, Mariner, linked to Maudland Hood.

The Scarborough St Mary's Churchyard M.I. ...

Head Stone -
Sacred/
to the Memory of/
MARY the wife of/
JOHN SPENCER/
who departed this life/
August (?g) 18??/
aged (33 or 83) years.

I should of looked for year of this and an age, in the m/f Registers, whilst at Beverley, because the compiler has not tried to find the Register entry, possibly due to not having the year.

Due to OCR sometimes being poor and too many returns, if I had a year date, I could manually search the Death columns on the BNA.

Also, I  got the Will of Catherine Spencer, Wife of Scarborough (from TNA), 1782
... my late Uncle Henry Rowe, late of Bloomsbury Square, London, Esquire ...
... Wife of Robert Spencer of Scarborough in the county of York ...
... Mother in Law Mary Spencer ...
... my Son [?first name?] Paxton Spencer ...
... my Son Hutton Rowe Spencer ...
... my Sister Jane Rowe ...
... my Brother Anthony Rowe ...
... my Husband Robert Spencer ...

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D622184

I should like to find out if she had a residence in Scarborough.

Her children (named in the Will) and the one by whom she was pregnant were left £700 each too! Some of them appear at various places in England as adults, later.

Regards Mark

EDIT: Added a headstone M.I., from Scarborough 18??, is the corresponding Register entry online please? If I had her age confirmed as 83 and a year date, it might be worth me searching the deaths in the BNA manually.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Friday 05 August 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any reference to Mary Spencer in the burial registers at St Mary, Scarborough in the 1800's.  Or any Spencer at all prior to Civil Registration in 1837.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Friday 05 August 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Mary Spencer buried St Mary's 1786 (born 1706)  No other info in burial register This Mary was buried 23 APRIL
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Friday 05 August 16 17:36 BST (UK) »
Mary Spencer buried St Mary's 1786 (born 1706)  No other info in burial register This Mary was buried 23 APRIL

Thanks Goughy and Bumblebee

Is (born 1706) on the image please, if available?

The Scarborough St Mary's Churchyard M.I. ...

Head Stone -
Sacred/
to the Memory of/
MARY the wife of/
JOHN SPENCER/
who departed this life/
August (?g) 18??/
aged (33 or 83) years.

Mary Spencer, 1786, Beverley
I can't see the month, but this might / might not be her Will ...
Or is someone linking it to someone else buried at Beverley or elsewhere, please?

Searched 1786  -/+ 10 years - up to 1858 Index ...
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/prerogative-and-exchequer-courts-of-york-probate-index-1688-1858?firstname=mary&firstname_variants=true&lastname=spencer&eventyear=1786&eventyear_offset=10

Hull History Centre
18 Feb 1763 - Mortgage: for £80: Hester Audas to Mary Spencer both of Beverley widows.
These were 'widows' at Beverley, so possibly 1786 Will related to a widow.
However, transcription of Scarborough Headstone says 'Mary the Wife of' suggesting John Spencer might have outlived her?

Kind regards Mark

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Friday 05 August 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
The burial entry for Mary Spencer - 23 April 1786 - states that Mary is aged 80.  A very clear and legible image.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Friday 05 August 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
Does the names Thomas Fletcher or Jane Fletcher ring any bells in your database -Mark

I've been in Selby most of the day checking this and that !!.

That Selby Times 28th Nov 1879 weekly issue as you said just gives - Death Sarah wife of late George Hood of Selby Nov 28th and was put in the newspaper the same day she died even though it was a weekly paper. What I did notice was when a death was in Selby and the deceased was interred elsewhere in another Parish it stated so in the deaths, I checked quite a few random weeks and years of death columns in the Selby times but always the same with Selby (assumed home parish burial or any denomination burial in Selby [cemetery ?] ) deaths not mentioning where interred only other parishes.

The death under Sarah Hood was of Selby interred at Stillingfleet parish church graveyard

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Saturday 06 August 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
Does the names Thomas Fletcher or Jane Fletcher ring any bells in your database -Mark

I've been in Selby most of the day checking this and that !!.

That Selby Times 28th Nov 1879 weekly issue as you said just gives - Death Sarah wife of late George Hood of Selby Nov 28th and was put in the newspaper the same day she died even though it was a weekly paper. What I did notice was when a death was in Selby and the deceased was interred elsewhere in another Parish it stated so in the deaths, I checked quite a few random weeks and years of death columns in the Selby times but always the same with Selby (assumed home parish burial or any denomination burial in Selby [cemetery ?] ) deaths not mentioning where interred only other parishes.

The death under Sarah Hood was of Selby interred at Stillingfleet parish church graveyard

Hello dobfarm

Thank you very much.

Oh heck (a saying of my Grandma Hood), I gave Selby Library Sarah Hood's 1879 date of death and they could find NO entry.

But there is an entry you say.

I can't say Fletcher rings a bell at the Yorkshire end yet.

Only Fletcher Documents in the Leicester City Museum. John Hood of Castle Donnington and an Edward Hood mentioned and also John Hood of Bardon Park are menioned in the Fletcher Documents.

Thanks for your dedication to this quest.

Can't do much more today, as my wife wants a day out!

Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough late of Selby Yeoman deced 24th October 1842 piece inside says 22d Octr 1840, passed 24th October 1840 and Will is dated/written 17 April 1837 ... only refers to the two fields, near Selby that would need to be sold to clear an outstanding mortgage, but NO reference to Hood at all.

In the Will Thomas Gouldsbrough refers to his warehouse used by William Smith and crane, his son George Buttle Gouldsbrough and three daughters Ann Bonnell of Gainsbrough Co. of Lincoln; Hannah Gouldsbrough; ?? Cape wife of John Cape [Cape or Gape, written on fold, partly obscured] all of Selby. His Messuages and Tenements or Dwelling houses in the shipyard a Sail loft to the same (apparently Leasehold) ... excepting one other House situate in the Ship Yard and adjoining the House to be occupied or let by her Mother in Law Mary Gouldsbrough ... my daughter Hannah Gouldsbrough. Gouldsbrough also refers to property elsewhere at Knottingley near Ferrybridge in the Parish of Pontefract now in the occupations of James Smith and another which he gives unto to my son George Buttle Gouldsbrough... refers to his wife Mary Gouldsbrough and also to his brother James Gouldsbrough now of York.

Executors were George Clarkson Jun'r and William Bradley.

Witnesses
Edward Dickinson
Charles Musgrave
Jonathan Shelton [or Shetton, or Skelton, or Sketton]

Clark and Clarkson surnames are party names, mentioned in one or two of George Hood's Selby property registrations.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Saturday 06 August 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
Just looked at the images for burials at Stillingfleet and Sarah is not shown.  In fact no burial entries between 5 September 1879 and 6 January 1880 at all.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Saturday 06 August 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thomas Fletcher married Jane Hood in Cloughton 1789.

This could have 2 meanings :, either John Hood (Marr 1762 Scalby Jane Dickingson) died and Jane Hood nee Dickinson remarried to Thomas Fletcher. But no John Hood burial between 1762 and 1789 around Scarborough or Scalby

[/color]or

A daughter Jane Hood of John Hood and Jane Hood snr (nee Dickinson) 1789 Cloughton. (Need to check the original marriage in the register)

This means daughter Sarah Hood burial 1785 of John and Jane Hood Coughton 1785

Possible daughter Jane Hood above marriage Cloughton 1789

Possible son John Hood marriage to Jane Newby 1793.

1 known Sarah and 2 possible siblings children of Jane Dickinson (Mrs Hood) but no baptisms in Scalby/Coughton/Burniston of her children

Above Jane Hood (Dickinson) had children after 1762 marriage Scalby

No baptisms could mean George b 1786/7 in Cloughton of John and Jane Hood (Dickinson)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth