Author Topic: Michael Joseph Kiernan  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Joseph Kiernan
« on: Monday 29 February 16 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Michael Joseph KIERNAN was born about 1826 in Westmeath Ireland.  In 1846 he, along with Michael and Christopher MARTIN were convicted by the Westmeath Special Commission for shooting at Police, and all three were sentenced to transportation to Australia.  I am seeking any information in regards to Michael Joseph KIERNAN and the circumstances surrounding the alleged crime.
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Joseph Kiernan
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 February 16 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Top twelve here same item and book number some maybe related to same case
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h5x/

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Joseph Kiernan
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 February 16 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dathai,  They are the right ones.  I have found newspaper reports from the Westmeath Special Commission that give a bit of insight into the incident, which occurred in Dec 1845 in Ballintree.  I am slowly piecing the information together regarding what happened.  Frustrating because Michael Martin was Tried separate to the other two, and all reports I have found so far related to the Trial of Michael Kiernan and Christopher Martin.  In the reports they talk briefing about the evidence, however mostly refer to it as being same as for Michael Martin.
Thanks for your help, I have only been on rootschat one day, but loving it.
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.