Author Topic: Mary Callaghan c1837  (Read 1305 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Callaghan c1837
« on: Monday 29 February 16 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I may well be on the wrong board but I will explain why I think I should be here ??? :)

I have a Mary Callaghan marrying a William Bull in Adelaide 1856 South Australia . In the SAGHS( SA Genealogical Historical Society) marriages books  its states her age as 19 and her father as William

Having a look through shipping records I found , who I think is , the most likely candidate. A Mary Callaghan arrived aged 18 on the South Seas , (On the shipping list she is named as coming from Cork) 2.5.1855 from Plymouth.  This ties in with the age 19 at marriage.

The father was named as William. To my mind William is an English name rather than Irish..is this a fair comment? It may well be that she confused the question and gave her husbands name. That's a possibility.

Is there a birth in Cork of a Mary to a William 1836/7? And if it IS William is it in Protestant or catholic records?

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Callaghan c1837
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 February 16 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I may well be on the wrong board but I will explain why I think I should be here ??? :)

I have a Mary Callaghan marrying a William Bull in Adelaide 1856 South Australia . In the SAGHS( SA Genealogical Historical Society) marriages books  its states her age as 19 and her father as William

Having a look through shipping records I found , who I think is , the most likely candidate. A Mary Callaghan arrived aged 18 on the South Seas , (On the shipping list she is named as coming from Cork) 2.5.1855 from Plymouth.  This ties in with the age 19 at marriage.

The father was named as William. To my mind William is an English name rather than Irish..is this a fair comment? It may well be that she confused the question and gave her husbands name. That's a possibility.

Is there a birth in Cork of a Mary to a William 1836/7? And if it IS William is it in Protestant or catholic records?

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

The Parish Records for Ireland are now online www.registers.nli.ie but as Cork is a large county you would need a parish name to enable you to search.  Marys birth would have been prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in 1864 so you would have to rely on Baptism records from the above site.
You could also look at www.nationalarchives.ie for Tithe Applotment & Griffith Valuation records, but it would be a process of elimination as there is a strong possibility of the occurrence of several Callaghan surnames on these - here again Parish name would be helpful.  Good luck :)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 February 16 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks bally ,

They were some of my concerns. I did do a search but as you mentioned as I didn't know a parish I was flying blind. Callaghan isn't as popular as other Irish surnames but there is still enough to make it a long drawn out process. Newspaper and Subs site records focus a lot on criminality.

Thanks for taking a look and hopefully , if no-one else can point me in the right area, then at least an online search by someone also looking  may well bring the answer from another quarter.

Thank you :)

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline marshakar56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello..
I don't  know  if  this  will  help at all...but I  have  been  researching  my Corbett  and  Sheehan  families  in county  Cork . .and in Dromtariffe  Parish KERRY ..I have  found  a  record  for  a Mary Callaghan   that married  a Peter  Corbett  on or about   1 February  1836.
While this  lady then became  a  Corbett  by marriage...perhaps  you  would  want  to  search  around  the same  areas that I  am  finding  my Corbett  and  Sheehan  families . ..as these families  are using the  same  a message multiple  times in all related  families .   There are multiple ladies with the  first  name  of Honora   and Catherine
The surnames  run as Corbett . ..Sheehan . .Murphy . ..Sullivan . ..Fitzpatrick . ...Cronin....and others .
Rathmore  with Novahal  and  Kilcummin  in Kerry . ..
Dromtariffe . ...Boherbue . ...and Kanturk .

Happy  Hunting ! 
Karen 

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that advice Karen :)

Actually some of those other names also fall within my family line. I am concentrating on a Sheehan line which I wish to uncover. ( cemetery visit Monday) I also note a Cronin name there. This is another I am chasing so having a parish or 3 to concentrate on will make it much easier. :)

Scott, Cronin

Offline marshakar56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I have  taken  the  ancestry.com   DNA   test...and I've   seen  a  website  for  Irish  descendants  to post  it .   Either  Ireland  Reaching  Out . ..or ...??? 
We might  be  distant  cousins !
I've  been  printing  baptism  and  marriage  indexes...and then  will  be  separating  those  records  into possible  family  groups .
Keep  me  posted  on  your  research  please .   I'll  try to  get  back  on  Rootsweb  and  list the  possible  groups  and  the  evidence .
It may be a while . ..there are almost 6900 total records . ..and I  will  be  concentrating  on Rathmore  and around Boherbue .

Slan
Karen  Marshall