Author Topic: Fen Tigers  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Fen Tigers
« on: Monday 29 February 16 11:48 GMT (UK) »
 In the Fens north of Cambridge there was a group of people I believe living on the fringes of the law from the restoration of 1660 until the late 19th century known as the Fen Tigers. I believe that they were extreme Protestants who were persecuted by the restored Stuarts as they had largely been supporters of Oliver Cromwell. Does anyone know more about them please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Fen Tigers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 February 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 February 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, a very interesting site; but not so far as I can see a mention of the Fen Tigers.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 February 16 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, a very interesting site; but not so far as I can see a mention of the Fen Tigers.

From pinefamily's link;
The local villagers were fiercely opposed to the draining, believing it would deprive them of their traditional means of livelihood from wildfowling, fishing and reed cutting and would replace the fenland with arable land owned by strangers. The “Fen Tigers” tore down the dykes, ditches and sluices that had just been built and set the reedbeds on fire, so stopping work. But by the end of the 17th Century much of Vermuyden’s hugely ambitious project had been completed, with the Bedford River and New Bedford River carrying water more quickly northwards to the Wash.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 12:44 GMT (UK) »

My apolgies it is of course there. How I missed it first time is beyond me. Thanks to Young Tug for showing me the way.
I am getting an interesting response with these documents, but so far no surnames prominent in my family have been noticed.

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 16 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Redroger,

It was a CORNWALL who went around Littleport blowing a horn to rally the reported 200 locals who gathered at The Globe Inn at the start of the famous riot there in May 1816. Apparently he had sense enough to avoid any implication in what then followed so escaped the justice meted out to others.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
many thanks Peter. I assume there is a connection?

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 16 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Growing up in Cambridge in the 1970s and 1980s, I real all about the Fen Tigers regularly in the Cambridge Evening News.

They were the local speedway team ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright