Author Topic: How can you tell if your circa 1800 ancestor is Jewish  (Read 4879 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can you tell if your circa 1800 ancestor is Jewish
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 March 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Is there any evidence that they were Baptists?

They were baptised and married in CoE.

In religious terms, there can be only one baptism. I am not knowledgeable of non-conformist faiths but there may have been commitment services later.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: How can you tell if your circa 1800 ancestor is Jewish
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 March 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering a lot if many religions baptised/christened their babies at the local church but later on baptised them in their own faith.  And certainly Baptists don't believe in baptising infants, they believe it is a personal choice and the youngest age they baptise is about eleven.  But they may well have given their infants a christening ceremony at the local church, I don't know enough about what happened in practice.

You need to look at a wider Social context for the information .... although several Acts of Parliament reduced the penalties on Catholic families for following their faith it was not until the relief Act of 1829 that the restrictions were fully lifted. For this reason many Catholic families before this date had their Marriages/Baptisms etc in C of E churches. (and even for a while afterwards as the Catholic churches were still to be built)