Author Topic: Baptism lookup  (Read 1054 times)

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism lookup
« on: Tuesday 01 March 16 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
can someone find this woman for me.
Margaret Hyde-born c 1746-possibly in Higher Gobion( she married aged 26 in 1772 to a James Hallsworth in Higher Gobion.)

Many thanks,
Trisha

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Virtually all Beds baptisms and marriages pre 1813 are on the IGI at www.familysearch.org (the parish that isn't Everton, moved  into Hunts then Cambs). 

The parish is Higham Gobion, not Higher.

There don't appear to be any Hyde entries in Higham Gobion.

Higham Gobion is only just across the county boundary with Hertfordshire, so there's a possibility she might have been from there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Hyde-born c 1746-possibly in Higher Gobion( she married aged 26 in 1772 to a James Hallsworth in Higher Gobion.)

Whilst the marriage licence transcript entry dated 28 July 1772 states that James Hallworth was a farmer from Higham Gobian & that surety was given by Thomas Hallworth of Higham Gobian; the marriage to Margaret Hyde was NOT at Higham Gobian as it's not in the HG parish register.

Nor is there an entry for either party on the Beds FHS Surname Index CD for a marriage

Nor is there a baptism entry on that CD for either party.

However there's a burial of Margaret Hyde at Pulloxhill on 20 Sept 1795 & one for Jonathon Hyde on 17 Mar 1789; these could be her parents but there's no evidence. Jonathan Hyde of Pulloxhill did leave a will, available at Beds Archives ref ABP/W 1789/6 - might be worth a look? 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
those 2 could well be Margaret's grandparents as she had a grandson called Jonathan so perhaps it's a family name.
It's a pity her maiden name can't be discovered ,or for that matter either of Thomas Hallsworths wives as I've got an intriguing mystery to solve.
Margaret married Thomas' brother James and they had 7 children(some accounts give 2 of these children as belonging to Thomas and Sarah).The child in question causing the mystery (Lydia) never married and eventually died in Shillington in 1863.However she maintained the incredible lie that she was the niece of General George Washington(yes that one)all her life it would appear no one questioned it and when she died she was a local celebrity in Shillington and warrented and good sized obituary,not bad for a very lowly dressmaker.She was buried next to her sister in Cranfield graveyard where her stone states "niece of General Washington".She's even in the guide book!!!
I've done my research she's absolutely no relation-she made it up-but---
a thought did occur.There's quite a few Washington families around Pulloxhill,Higham Gobion and the adjacent villages.Even though they're different Washingtons to the famous ones what if her mother or even Grandmother's maiden name was Washington.She wouldn't have known,she'ld just have heard the surname put two and two together and made 5(perhaps I might be doing the same!!!)
Anyway,won't know until I find out their maiden names.
However,she could just have had a very vivid imagination-lol

Trisha