Author Topic: Albert Henry Harding b. 1890 Somerset  (Read 2801 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Henry Harding b. 1890 Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I do have a George Harding whose birthplace I have never been able to find c. 1771 so if you have a spare you cannot account for he may be mine. George Harden/Harding died 1845 before birthplace on Census. Burial Stawell, Somerset Churchyard. This is why I cannot go further back with family. He married Joan Holly 1803 at Moorlinch Church. I have over the years tried to search for baptisms for George in many Villages but have always followed through and they have been accounted for.

Good luck with research,
Syljun

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 March 16 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the Ancestry entry for Albert Henry Harding, born 26 May 1890, son of Frank Harding and Fanny Lawrence? This shows his place of birth as Stawell Some, Somerset. The source of this information is the US Social Security Applications and Claims Index 1936-2007.

There is an entry on the 1901 census which shows Albert Harding, age 11, Grandson, born Stawell, Somerset. He is in the household of Frank Harding, age 38, Carter on Farm, married, born Stawell. His wife is shown as Fanny Harding, age 48, Dressmaker, born Chilton Polden, Somerset. There is also William H Harding, stepson, age 23, and Minnie Harding, daughter, age 13. They are living at Manor Farm, it says house and buildings, in Stawell.

RG13/2286 Folio 125 Page 4.

Jo

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 March 16 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jo, I have all the info. you mention and believe Albert Henry Harding b.1890 may have been son of one of the daughters of Frederick and Fanny if he is indeed the Grandson as 1901.
As I explained without his birth/cert cannot be sure which one. Elizabeth dau. of Frederick and Fanny did not marry and died 1918 Weston-super-Mare.
Albert Henry died 2nd Aug.1948 and is buried Fort Snelling National Cemetery.

Thank you for your interest Jo, much appreciated.
Any connection? Lots of Harding's around.
Syljun
P.S. As explained Frederick died and Fanny then married Frederick's nephew. I believe Frank and Fanny had one daughter Minnie. 1891 Census has Albert age two Grandson. Living Main Road, Stawell.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 March 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
1930 census in Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota states he was first married at age 25 years and he is widowed.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 March 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra, I did wonder if that was him. Any chance of finding wife's name. Wonder if he had any children. Perhaps not. Albert lived in Veterans home in latter years.

Many thanks.Every little  bit of info. helps to build up picture. Quite a few of Harding family emigrated to U.S.A. Sadly no-one seems to search for English roots (me being Welsh) Grandfather being only one to look for work in Cardiff.
Thanks again, Syljun

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 March 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Seems Albert Henry Harding naturalized in Mower but there is a lack of detail to help with date  ???
Reel 3 - Code 12 - Volume   3 - Page 35  ??? We know he was there to register for the WW1 draft - 5 June 1917 but can't see him in 1920. He was single at that point - so not married or widowed which he should be if the 1930 was correct.  ??? More questions than answers  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 March 16 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, There seems to be a lot of Albert Harding's but location is usually a good point. I would not think they were all in same place but birth year seems to be popular for Albert Harding's so can easily cause confusion.
Not to worry, I was hoping there were descendants.
Thanks again, Syljun

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 March 16 11:12 GMT (UK) »
No, I'm not linked to this Harding line as far as I am aware. My Harding family originate from Somerset (but go back to Pewsey, Wiltshire) they were from villages such as West Cranmore, Doulting, Cloford, Wanstrow and surrounding areas.

I note that in the 1891 census, there are 2 daughters of Frederick and Fanny Harding, Elizabeth age 20 and Louisa, age 18. A tree on Ancestry has another daughter by the name of Emily Jane Harding. Emily married in 1896. As you say, Albert Henry is likely to be the son of one of these. Has anyone examined the parish registers of Stawell to see if there is a baptism for him? I cannot find a birth registration.

There are some lovely photos of this family on the Vaughan tree on Ancestry. Enter the details of Fanny Lawrence to access this.

Jo.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 March 16 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jo, I would love to see photos but I do not have access to Ancestry. Been researching for about 20yrs and having spent vast amount of money along the way do not feel it would be prudent to join at this stage.
Any chance of contacting person who owns tree?

I do have Wiltshire Hardings in family. Will look them up and get bqck. You never know.
Regards,
Syljun