Author Topic: John Harbottle  (Read 2467 times)

Offline dhiga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Harbottle
« on: Wednesday 02 March 16 02:42 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for information about this Gentleman .

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John Harbottle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

The statutory records of Scotland have only 2 entries for that name both marriages(1887 & 1943).
Do you have anymore information ?

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline dhiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 09:43 GMT (UK) »
i believe that the john harbottle that I am seeking is prior to 1887. the one I'm seeking lived in  Hawaii and was the harbor master in Honolulu . late 1700's early 1800's

Offline dhiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 09:55 GMT (UK) »
the john harbottle i seek was born  abt.. 1781 in Arbroath,Forfarshire, Scotland.

Offline dhiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed that Forfarshire is Angus ? as opposed to Arbroath.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed that Forfarshire is Angus ? as opposed to Arbroath.

The County of Angus was known to officialdom as Forfarshire from some time in the 18th century until 1928, when the ancient name was restored by Act of Parliament.

Arbroath is a parish and town in the County of Angus. The parish of Arbroath was formerly part of the parish of St Vigeans, but it was disjoined (i.e. made into a parish in its own right) in 1560. However the town continued to expand, and parts of the present town are still technically in the parish of St Vigeans.

These days the only people who bother about where parishes are are people researching their family history!

There is an additional complication in that if your John Harbottle was being asked in later life where he was born, he might have replied, 'Arbroath', even though he was actually born in one of the surrounding rural parishes. So as well as looking in Arbroath and St Vigeans, don't dismiss Arbirlot, Inverkeilor or Carmyllie.

You might find this page useful http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ANS/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 11:55 GMT (UK) »
John Harbottle (1781–1830), a British naval officer, who was one of the first foreign residents in Hawaii
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harbottle_Boyd

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
If he was an officer in the Royal Navy there should be records somewhere - Kew? Greenwich?

Dhiga, you need to tell us everything you already know about him if you want help to find out more.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dhiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I have given you all I know about John Harbottle.