Author Topic: Brick wall cannot william barker pre 1866  (Read 7633 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall cannot william barker pre 1866
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
Quote from: kiwihalfpint
Was only going by the online tree

OK KHP...

So if we could get the maiden name for the mother of William John BARKER d.1946 and match it to the maiden name of the wife of William BARKER d.1913 it would (hopefully) tie things up nicely.

The latter should be found on the 1913 death certificate but unfortunately I can't find the 1903 marriage mentioned in Image 8 of William John BARKER's army service record. Would need to cross fingers and rely on his 1946 death certificate....

Regards
Beg

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Royston

Sorry, not able to help with any records of William BARKER in NZ prior to 1866.

There are a couple of avenues you may like to try though in an effort to get further info for this man.

[Should firstly explain though about Wanganui and Whanganui.
These are one and the same place.   A spelling change occurred a few years back when the letter "h" was added to the name. 
]

**  Try the Whanganui Library's Heritage / family history, section.
They appear to have a Biographical Index, so enquire if the William BARKER family are mentioned.
May be an idea also to see if they have info on the first mariners to sail the Wanganui River (... quote the info from the newspaper report I mentioned earlier.)

http://www.whanganuilibrary.com
>  click on the Heritage tab

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
The other place to try is >

Wanganui District Council Archives

http://www.whanganui.govt.nz/our-services/archives/Pages/default.aspx

They appear to have Wanganui Harbour Board records 1876-1988 (and possibly employee records ? )

~   Lu

Offline royston123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 22:58 BST (UK) »

Hi Beg
             William John Barker's mother's maiden name was McFarquhar, She was born in
    St Pancras London England , She sailed to Hobart Australia where she married Joseph Moore
    who died in 1864 and was widowed. She went to New Zealand where she married William Barker, where her name was Moore. As for William John Barker, I have been emailing a descendant of his ,and she doesn't think he and I Isabella married.
                             regards royston

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
Quote from: royston123
William John Barker's mother's maiden name was McFarquhar, She was born in St Pancras London England

I'm assuming you mean the William John BARKER who died in 1946. Where did you find his mother's maiden name and the birthplace of St Pancras.  (How reliable is the source)

You should consider purchasing the 1913 death certificate for William BARKER, as mentioned earlier. Might be a bust but you never know (at least not until you've spent your money)

---

Are you part of the "mcfarquhar" thread on british-genealogy.com

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/80463-mcfarquhar

Very hard thread to decipher.

Regards
Beg

Offline royston123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 11:12 BST (UK) »

Hi Beg
           The source is reliable,  Janet is my 3#great aunt . I'm a direct descendant of hers.
   Yes I am part of that British Genealogy.com thread, I also found some parts confusing . But I found the answer in the end
                                   regards royston

Offline royston123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 May 16 13:51 BST (UK) »

Hello to all of you.
                          I would like to thank you all, for the information you have given me so far for William Barker. It has been really helpfull, I am looking at news papers, army records and going to invest in BDM certificates. As I live in the UK I would have not known where to look.
                         best regards
                                            royston

Offline pamwashere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
There are 3 William Barkers: William 1 married Janet McFarquhar. William 2 (aka William John Barker) was the son of William and Janet, born 1868, died 1946, served WW1. William 3 is the one buried with AUgustus (Augustus is another son of William and Janet).  William 3 died 1913 Wanganui but I don't believe he is Augustus' father. Newspaper reports and other sources show that he was a signalman for many years and he seems to have lived in Wanganui for a long time.  His death cert doesn't show any family relationships.  William 1 "the rogue" moved around more.  Some Wanganui electoral rolls and PO directories show BOTH Williams there at the same time. Some years show William 1 and his son William 2. William 1 said he was 30 when he married Janet in 1866, but I think he could have been younger.  I looked at all the William Barkers of a suitable age in the BDM index and by a process of elimination worked out that William 1 was probably the one that died in AUckland in 1922 aged 78. Unfortunately his death cert doesn't show any family either.  But he is the only one that fits.  My theory is that William 3 could be the grandfather of Augustus and father of William 1. But I'm quite happy for anyone to prove otherwise!

Offline KiwiBeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 07 April 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
We are trying to find the same William Barker.  He is our great great grand father.  Is there any chance we can get a copy of his marriage certificate and intent to marriage.  Have you had any luck in finding any more information on William?