Author Topic: Brick wall cannot william barker pre 1866  (Read 7668 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall cannot william barker pre 1866
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 May 16 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Royston...

Welcome to Rootschat :)

In your thread on the WDYTYA forum the 1913 William BARKER death found on the BDM NZ Historical website was suggested as a possibility.

Did you take this any further?

BDM NZ Deaths
1913/6718 - BARKER, William - 93 years - d.o.d 28 Aug 1913

---

I ask because the 1918 death notice for Janet BARKER says "wife of the late William John Barker of Wanganui" and the William BARKER who died in 1913 is buried at Heads Road Cemetery, Wanganui.

Death notice for Janet BARKER
http://tinyurl.com/gpmmsf3

[...] at the residence of her daughter Mrs Johns [...]

BDM NZ Marriages
1911/662 - Janet Maud BARKER to Thomas Percy JOHNS

BDM NZ Births
1886/16016 - BARKER, Janet Maude - mother: Janet  father: William

---

It's possible that the William BARKER who died in 1913 is buried in the same plot as Augustus Edward BARKER, son of William and Janet BARKER, as Augustus is also buried at Heads Road Cemetery.

I'll check the headstone inscription in the next day or two and get back to you.

Death of Mr Barker
http://tinyurl.com/zmqdyjw

---

Why do you say that there was a William senior and a William junior.

And if there were two Williams, which one is the one you're looking for.

Regards
Beg

Offline royston123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 May 16 21:45 BST (UK) »

Hi Lucy2
             On the intention to marry it says they got married at the house of Mrs Moore , Which I presume was Janet's house , as that was her surname at the time . I was just wondering if I could have found the address , so I could find out more especially about William , where he was born and who his parent were .As he seems a bit of a mystery

Offline royston123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 May 16 23:38 BST (UK) »

Hi Beg
           I'm looking for William Barker senior Janet's husband. The William  Barker  who was buried with Augustus I'm not sure what his relationship is. Thank you for the links you have given me . I will follow them up , it will be interesting to see what the grave stone has Inscribed on it .

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again...

William BARKER d.1913 and Augustus Edward BARKER d.1899 are buried in the same plot.

The headstone reads...

In loving memory of William BARKER died 28 August 1913 aged 91 years.

Also Augustus Edward BARKER died 19 December 1899 aged 16 years

Annoyingly it's not stated but I would suggest that they are father and son as 60-ish is not too old to father a child.

---

If it's within your budget, I would suggest buying a printout of William BARKER's 1913 death certificate.

A printout is a scan/photocopy of the Deaths Register which can be emailed to you. A physical copy can also be snail mailed to you at no additional cost.

It costs $20.40 and should contain the following information...

Death data collected
http://tinyurl.com/h9va2eg

As it's a scan of the Register there won't be any transcription errors.

The information contained in the Register may be inaccurate but, then again, it may not :)

The 1883 birth certificate of Augustus BARKER may also be a worthwhile purchase.

Birth data collected
http://tinyurl.com/jqxzqwa

---

Quote from: royston123
I'm looking for William Barker senior, Janet's husband.

So are you saying that William and Janet had a son also named William. Is he the following 1868 birth...

1868/17054 - BARKER, William John - mother: Jennet  father: William

The death notice for Augustus says he is the third son of William and Janet. Assuming William b.1868 is their eldest son do you know the name of their second son

Death notice for Augustus BARKER
http://tinyurl.com/jsmed4v

...and do you have a record of the family living in Plymouth Street. Would be nice to nail that down.

Regards
Beg

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Royston,

Are you one of the owners of the online trees at Ancestry?

So are you saying that William and Janet had a son also named William. Is he the following 1868 birth...

1868/17054 - BARKER, William John - mother: Jennet  father: William

Looks like that one died Beg, as there was another William born in 1894 and died three years later.  But there looks like there was an unnamed male born in 1865. There was also another brother Horace born in 1885.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Royston

Much of the information I had for you, has now been covered in Beg's postings.

There are though some interesting snippets in newspaper articles re: William BARKER, "the old man ... aged about 90 (in 1912) ... formerly employed as a signalman by the Wanganui Harbour Board".

At PapersPast >

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

"Wanganui Chronicle" - 10 February 1912 - Local and General

.... Mr BARKER, signalman on Durie Hill ... the old man is about 90 ... has had a very adventurous career ...
Mr BARKER is stated to have been the first pilot to take a vessel up the Wanganui River .... this was in the 'forties.

-----------

So, it would seem that Mr (William) BARKER had been in New Zealand from some time in the early 1840's ?

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 04:23 BST (UK) »
Have more to come for William BARKER (d. 1913) ... but just to answer re: online trees for this family
[Janet McFARQUHAR (MOORE) and William BARKER].

-----------
Janet MOORE (nee McFARQUHAR) had a son born c. 1864 in Australia, to first husband Joseph MOORE.

Because this child (Joseph James MOORE) was very young when his mother remarried to William BARKER in NZ, then it may be that he was considered to be the eldest son of BARKER ??

There are three or four trees for the family on the ancestry website - it seems that info has been copied from one to another ?   None of them give any hint of William BARKER's roots (and most name him has "William John BARKER" - which possibly comes from the death notice published later for his wife ?

~  Lu

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 04:34 BST (UK) »
I thought they were a little bit of mishmash Lu ;D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 04:49 BST (UK) »

The death notice for Augustus says he is the third son of William and Janet. Assuming William b.1868 is their eldest son do you know the name of their second son

Death notice for Augustus BARKER
http://tinyurl.com/jsmed4v

...and do you have a record of the family living in Plymouth Street. Would be nice to nail that down.

Regards
Beg

The death notice says that Augustus was the (3rd) son of William BARKER of Plymouth Street (Janet  was not mentioned ... although the birth registration 1883 shows his mother was named Janet.)

A further notice (21 December 1899) also said that the funeral was to leave his parent's residence in Plymouth Street.
The 1900 Wanganui Electoral has >
BARKER - Janet - married
BARKER - William - gardener ... Plymouth Street.
(Residential qualification).

[Seems family was living in Wellington for a time in 1890's ... possibly why death notice for Augustus asks "Post" ("Evening Post") newspaper "to copy". ]

~  Lu