Author Topic: Free passengers on convict ship "Mary Anne" 1816?  (Read 5304 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Free passengers on convict ship "Mary Anne" 1816?
« on: Thursday 03 March 16 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the passenger list for the convict ship, "Mary Anne", which arrived in Port Jackson in 1816? I'm looking for the names of the free passengers.

Jen Willetts' excellent site, Free Settler or Felon" says:
"Free passengers included William Lees (son of convict John Lees, deceased), later described as a sober, industrious man. Wife arrived free on the Northampton; Stephen Milton who became pilot and harbour master at Port Jackson; and Joseph Moss whose occupation was later described as 'dealer'. Barbara Styles; Sarah Hall;  George Board, later departed on the Mary (4);  Mary Ann Robinson and two year old daughter Elizabeth."

I'm looking for the names of the rest, particularly Sarah Hall's children, and any other woman named Sarah.

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Free passengers on convict ship "Mary Anne" 1816?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 16 02:03 GMT (UK) »
I doubt that there would be a passenger list as such.  The information would have been gleaned from musters, 1828 census, and Colonial Sec's Correspondence.

The 1825 muster shows Sarah HALL, came free (Mary Anne) 1816, wife of William HALL, Sydney.

The 1828 census has bracketed together:

William HALL, 45, Ticket of Leave, ship Ocean, 1816, Life, Catholic, Settler, Baulkham Hills.
Sarah HALL, 39, came free, ship Mary Ann, 1814, Catholic (second record says Protestant)

Debra  :)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 16 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debra, that's a pity. :-(

The reason I'm looking is that there was a Sarah Hall (nee Brooks) who came free on the "Mary Ann" in 1816 to join her husband, Thomas Hall (Ocean, 1816). He died in 1821.

The William Hall you found was Thomas's brother. His wife, Sarah, also appears in the 1822 muster as Sarah Hall, came free, Mary Ann, wife of William Hall, Ocean, life, labourer, Parramatta)

Very confusing! Are they one and the same Sarah Hall? It seems unlikely as the one who married Thomas Hall, remarried in 1822, to William Jones and appears in the 1828 census with him.

That's why I'm trying to find out if there were 2 Sarah Halls on the "Mary Anne" in 1816. :-)
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 16 02:45 GMT (UK) »
In a round about way I may have some answers.   I am not sure yet, but I will share some info across several posts. ... Basically I have some notes that date from research undertaken by one of my Great Grandparents who was born in the 1850s.  They were basing it on their parents oral history.  I have, across the decades since becoming interested in family history (late 1950s) of course validated much of it, and with the popularity of commercial website dedicated to uploading not just submitted trees, but also actual images of official records .... well ... I am able to re-validate much of my own research, and that of my ancestors too.

I am not a descendant of anyone who arrived on the Mary Anne 1816.   

Cheers,  JM

NSW Col Sec Papers 1788-1825 are currently displayed at Ancestry as part of a partnership arrangement with NSW State Records.

From the Index

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/l/F33c_le-ll-04.htm#P1981_54759

3 July 1820
A petition to Governor Lachlan Macquarie
 from William Lees of the Mary Ann 1816, came free, son of John Lees, deceased
William Lees wife arrived free per Northampton 1815
That your Petitioner has a family of three children, and to provide for them his future views lead him to expect a permanent residence in this colony, respectfully solicits that your Excellency will be pleased to give him a Grant of Land and such other Indulgencies as in your Excellencies Judgement he may be deserving of.       
In separate handwriting, William Cowper notes “I believe the petitioner to be a sober and industrious man”
(William Cowper was one of the NSW Chaplains appointed by the Governor).
 http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/cowper-william-1929

July 1824
Letter from William Lees of the Mary Ann 1816, Came free,
… That your Excellencys petitioner received a grant of One hundred acres of Brush Land from his Excellency Governor Macquarie, which grant, your Petitioner, has, by his industrious exertions nearly clearly, having 50 acres under cultivation, supporting a wife and four children.  …

Thus your Excellencys Petitioner has, thru’ careful industry, increased his stock of cattle to Sixty and as petitioners present farm from local circumstance, is unable to main that number, ….. Petitioner most humbly hopes Your Excellency will be please to locate to him such quantity of Land as Your excellency may consider him deserving of from the recommendations of the undersigned and which indulgence Petitioner as is duty bound and ever pray.

JM notes there’s two signatures as referees.  These are similar to the signatures of Thos MOORE and Robt CARTWRIGHT.
 http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/moore-thomas-2476
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/cartwright-robert-1882

So I will continue looking for each of the names you have mentioned, and type up some notes  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 16 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Stephen MILTON, definitely noted as on the Mary Ann of 1816, and definitely became Harbour Master. 
See the Colonial Sec Papers linked earlier.  His wife (Elizabeth Milton, formerly chudleigh) arrived on the Mary Ann, but she was transported under a sentence of 7 years.   By 1825 he was on lists of Grants of Land, and was a Licensed Victualler, and residing in Princes St Sydney (this street was resumed to make way for the Sydney Harbour Bridge, it ran to the Harbour).

He died in July 1826.  Stephen MILTON, Free, Mariner, of Sydney, buried 11 July 1826 by Rev John Dunmore Lang, burial registered in the Scots Church register. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 16 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Joseph MOSS
some of the Musters, including the 1828 Census seem to have him as arriving on Christiana in 1823 but the Col Sec papers seem to have him as arriving Mary Ann 1816, including on letters in May 1823 and May 1825.  But on a letter in Sept 1825, the correspondence can be confusing.  By Nov 1825 it is clear that he arrived on the Mary Ann, and was a Dealer, and qualified to serve Jury duty in Sydney.

10 August 1826 he remarried (the letter Sept 1825 is about his widowhood). 
Joseph MOSS aged 33, Widower, of Sydney, Dealer (signed) and
Rebecca BYRNE aged 22, spinster, of Sydney (signed)
married by Banns by Rev Richard HILL.
Witnesses: John ROBERTS of Castlereagh St (signed) and
Isabella MOSS of Cumberland St (signed)

Rebecca, wife of Joseph MOSS died 30 Sept 1832, aged 27 years.  C of E, Sydney Burial Ground

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 16 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Barbara STYLES

A marriage for a lass on the Mary Ann, and notice the witnesses

10 June 1816
Charles SOMMERS aged 29, Free, of Parramatta (signed) and
Ann RADFORD aged 20, per the Mary Ann, of Parramatta married by Banns
by Rev Samuel MARSDEN
Witnesses
Thomas STYLES (X mark)
Barbara STYLES (X mark)

Thomas STYLES, senior, a married man, per the mary Ann 1816, came as head of a family,  himself, his son in law Alexander McDONALD, and his daughter Mary (McDonald).   Barbara STYLES had also come free on the Mary Ann of 1816 and she was the daughter of Alexander and Mary McDONALD who I read as coming on that same voyage ....  As I read it, Barbara's children petititioned in Dec 1821 for her return from Newcastle.  (Henry, Thomas, Mary were her children) And by Nov 1823, Rev G A Middleton was requesting that Barbara be assigned to him. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 March 16 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Sarah HALL

Well to confuse the picture further...
There was also a Sarah HALL on the Lord Melville of 1817.  She was about 20 years of age.

Sarah HALL born about 1789, died 1872 at Singleton, had arrived per Mary Ann 1816.  She married William JONES, a convict on the Baring.

Sept 1822, Sarah HALL, per Mary Ann Came Free was on the Muster as wife of W JAMES, of Sydney.  May I mention here, that the NSW Governor at that time was Lachlan Macquarie.  He was a Scotsman, and so it is logical that as he was establishing the administrative system to handle the influx of convicted persons, that he may have been influenced by the Scotish tradition of females being known by their 'own' names rather than taking on the surname of their male partners.  Anyway, in the Macquarie era, many females (convict and otherwise) were recorded by the surname under which they had arrived, regardless of any marriage after their arrival.    I see no difference between W James and W Jones as that Sarah's husband.  Simply that the person recording the information has heard a different accent and given a different interpretation to the oral information supplied.

So perhaps by the 1828 Census, it is Sarah HALL noted as aged 39, arriving per Mary Ann 1814, came free, with her husband as William HALL, and they are at Baulkham Hills, perhaps with Sarah as Overseer ad some assigned convicts.   

I cannot confirm that Sarah died Singleton 1872, only that there's a mention in my notes that others say this is so.

Does this help or hinder  ::)

Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 March 16 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Sept 1825 Muster  :)
William JONES born 1825, born in the colony, residing Richmond NSW, son of Sarah HALL  :)
John HALL, aged 7, born in the colony, residing Richmond NSW, son of Sarah HALL  :)

May 1822
William JONES of the Ship Baring of 1815, sought permission to marry Sarah HALL, at Sydney (Col Sec Papers)

Note also,
there was a Sarah HALL, tried 28 July 1806, Life, to Sydney on the Sydney Cove 1807. (Convicted Maidstone)  In the Muster of Nov 1814, there's Sarah HALL, per the Sydney Cove, a Convict, with her husband T SIMS at Sydney and they are both "off stores"

theres a Sarah HALL, tried 5 Dec 1804 at Middlesex, 7 year sentence arriving per William Pitt April 1806.

And, (I apologise for the dis-jointed info) I think the Sarah HALL, per the Lord Melville of 1817 went to Van Diemen's Land some time between August 1820 and Feb 1824 (I have not validated that).

1824 some time
On the Sept 1825 Muster, Sarah HALL who arrived per the Indispensable of 1796 and was free by servitude died during 1824.   She was the wife of a J ONSLIFF.    (I have not validated that marriage) 

Susannah, daughter of Thomas and Sarah HALL, born 15 May, 1817 Sydney , baptised 22 June 1817, baptism registered in the St Philips C of E, Sydney. 

John, son of Thomas HALL, and Sarah, born 24 August 1819, Sydney, and baptised  26 August 1821, registered St Philips C of E, Sydney

Martha, dau of Thomas HALL and Sarah, born 19 July 1821 Sydney, and baptised 26 August 1821 (same as her brother John), registered St Philips C of E, Sydney

Cheers,  JM