Author Topic: Free passengers on convict ship "Mary Anne" 1816?  (Read 5326 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Free passengers on convict ship "Mary Anne" 1816?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 March 16 00:02 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Agh,  I remembered that you had mentioned that, and yet, when I looked last night at the plaque .... I could not see them.   I see them now.   :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SylvMart607

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 May 17 03:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, poor Sarah was left with five children and a sixth on the way.

Thanks for pointing out William's signature on the 1828 census - I hadn't noticed that :-)

Sorry I forgot to mention that Thomas and William Hall both came out on the Ocean in 1816.

Jan

Thomas and Sarah Hall were my ggg grandparents...William Hall died at Broke in 1849..Sarah died in 1872 as Sarah Jones....I was wondering how you know Harriet  came on the Mary Ann and not born at sea as it says on her death certificate..

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 May 17 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

;D Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

Harriet was admitted to the orphan school in June 1821 aged 6.

The application by Sarah JONES wife of William JONES to take the children out of the orphan school states the children's ages as Sophia HALL, 14, Harriet, 12, and Susanna, 10.  The memorial is not dated but the previous one in the book is dated 28 Dec 1826.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/search_form?id=74

I am guessing that Harriet was possibly born onboard the Mary Anne which makes both statements true - she was born at sea and arrived on the Mary Anne.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 May 17 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome from me too.

I agree with Debra,  a baby born at sea would arrive on same vessel as her mum.  One of my ancestors was born at sea, 'just off the coast of New South Wales'.    The record of her Wesleyan baptism even shows the name of the ship on the original parish register, but the ship's name is not on the transmitted record written up by one of the NSW Chaplains in the Church of England parish register.  So it can be worthwhile seeking out the original registers for the bdm events from the 1810s. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SylvMart607

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 May 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

;D Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

Harriet was admitted to the orphan school in June 1821 aged 6.

The application by Sarah JONES wife of William JONES to take the children out of the orphan school states the children's ages as Sophia HALL, 14, Harriet, 12, and Susanna, 10.  The memorial is not dated but the previous one in the book is dated 28 Dec 1826.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/search_form?id=74

I am guessing that Harriet was possibly born onboard the Mary Anne which makes both statements true - she was born at sea and arrived on the Mary Anne.

Harriet was born prior to coming to Australia, and not at sea..The information on the death certificate was given by Thomas Barr Harriets nephew who got about three things wrong on the information he gave..One bit of incorrect information was that Thomas Hall was a soldier...

7 Dec'. 1814, County Woolwich Kent.Baptism Date:22 Jan 1815, Parish or Poor Law Union, Woolwich St Mary Magdalene...Died:05 Jun 1880..Stockyard Creek, Paynes Crossing.NSW. Buried:Buried Anglican Section, Wollombi Cemetery, 7th June 1880..

I wasn't until 2012 I discovered the baptism record..

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 May 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
Yes I did see that baptism and it would suit a bit better with her age if it fits with what you know about where Thomas and Sarah were at that time.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 May 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

I know Harriet was baptised in Woolwich - you gave me the details a couple of years ago, around the time we discovered Sarah Hall nee Brookes' baptism :-)

Sary BROOKS, father George, mother Sarah, on 25 April 1784 at St Mary Magdalene Woolwich.

Jan

England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SylvMart607

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 May 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

I know Harriet was baptised in Woolwich - you gave me the details a couple of years ago, around the time we discovered Sarah Hall nee Brookes' baptism :-)

Sary BROOKS, father George, mother Sarah, on 25 April 1784 at St Mary Magdalene Woolwich.

Jan
I didn't realise it was you, I was only going over some more of it last night..