Author Topic: Not sure what to do next.  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Gembar

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is not a rehersal.
    • View Profile
Not sure what to do next.
« on: Friday 04 March 16 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I have just downloaded the marriage entry from Hals of my 4 times great grandparents Stephen Marlborough and Martha England marriage at St Marys Parish Church in Watford 15/10/1806.
I was hoping the witnesses would have been family members to help me find more about the family but the names are not the same. Can anyone advise me on where to go or what to do next to find out where they were born, how can I confirm who their parents were? I hope that I have not finally hit that brick wall!!
Thankyou
Herts: Marlborough, Cobb, Knights, Wilkins
Norfolk: Engall, Tyrrell
Neath and Somerset: Bennett

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure what to do next.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
The names of your ancestors are far from common, so I doubt you've hit a solid brick wall (yet). Without knowing what research you've done so far, it's hard to know what to suggest next. Even if you think you've exhausted all the parish records, there are plenty of "alternative" sources out there which may help.

Good luck :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Gembar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Claire for your reply. I have just found a christening of a Stephen Marlborough 13/08/1786 in Shenley, Hertfordshire with parents Tho and Ann Marlborough. the date would make him about 20 at the time of the marriage. But is there anyway to confirm that it is the same Stephen?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:33 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping the witnesses would have been family members to help me find more about the family but the names are not the same.

You could try searching the witnesses names for marriages to Marlborough or England spouses.  If you don't find any this would not prove anything, but if you get lucky you might link siblings or cousins.

Good hunting.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:40 GMT (UK) »

Childrens names can sometimes be of help..as they were usually named after g.parents -siblings

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm not too familiar with Hertfordshire so I don't know if Shenley is close to Watford. The baptism you've found could be the right one.... he's about the right age, and Stephen's not a particularly rare name but it's much rarer than a John or William. It could be a recurring name in their family, so if it's not your Stephen it could be a cousin of his.

Have you found where Stephen and Martha were buried? If you have an age for Stephen, you can narrow down when he might have been baptised.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:49 GMT (UK) »
There are various trees on Ancestry who all claim Stephen bp.Shenley as your man.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Shenley is only a couple of parishes away from Watford so it is possible.  Mind you when I went through the Shenley registers for some of my own research a number of the residents were from St Albans various parishes.

However, Shenley is missing from FindMyPast and from memory I don't think its been indexed for any period by Familysearch (although I think they do have a copy on microfilm in their catalogue) so you really need to see the parish registers before deciding if that Stephen is yours as he could have remained and died in the parish, something that may not have been done by the tree owners on ancestry. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Gembar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 16 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone. I think a trip to Hertfordshire record office maybe in order.