Author Topic: Help to Identify a place in Cashel, please.  (Read 562 times)

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Help to Identify a place in Cashel, please.
« on: Friday 04 March 16 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm attaching an extract from a wedding record from 1841.  With the help of other chatters I have managed to decipher most of it however the bride was a servant at Mrs. Crookson's  in ??something?? St.  -

I was wondering if anyone knew the area well enough to take a stab at the name of the Street please?

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to Identify a place in Cashel, please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 16 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help to Identify a place in Cashel, please.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 March 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
The first letter may be 'K'. The writer uses a huge flourish on some capitals which starts with an anti-clockwise loop the rises to form the upright of the letter [see the 'N' of what I presume is 'Norry' in the entry above the one of interest in K Garrad's link].

There's also a horizontal line which may indicate word is an abbreviation [see 'Wm' of 'Wm Raleigh' witness - again in the link to related post.

ADDED: The flourishes are not however consistent  ::) - see anticlockwise 'H' of 'Hogan' for Marg the bride & clockwise 'H' for 'Hogan' of witness Joanna.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON