Author Topic: Presentments  (Read 4271 times)

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Presentments
« on: Friday 04 March 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone tell me please if these records can be viewed by anyone and if so is it only in person and situ on the Island.

My other question is what do these records entail, would they be for general complaints, judgements or bastardy? I have read that Family Search were going to record these for online viewing along with the other splendid records they have for the Isle of Man but it will probably be light years away.

Any help or suggestions with this would be great, thanks a lot
L.B
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Presentments
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 16 17:16 GMT (UK) »
No idea what date you might be referring to  ???

Have you read this Presentments for Fornication - 1800-1851

- in earlier years many cases would include a summary of the court's judgement but in later years, though a blank space was left on the return, no such judgement was given. The name of the man on whom the child was affiliated (by the mother and/or midwife whose duty it was to find out) was usually added to the form in a different and often very untidy hand, the percentage of such affiliations decreasing as the 19th century progressed. If the man did not oppose the affiliation he became liable for contributing towards the maintenance of the child. The court also heard cases in which the woman sued for unpaid maintenance

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/cd_only/prsnts/index.htm

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 March 16 17:21 GMT (UK) »
The full title of these documents is "Presentments for Fornication", and they are not online.
see: http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/cd_only/prsnts/index.htm

They can be viewed at the Manx Museum Library.
I don't think they are (yet) available at iMuseum.im?

Snap Sandra! ;D

P.S. Frances Coakley (Author of Manxnotebook) has a CD available of those transcribed so far.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much for such a fast reply. I am doing research on a lady who seems to be having children very frequently and they appear in the parish records that I have sourced from Family Search baptisms all with her name and no fathers names. When it comes to the census her children appear with her all with different surnames but still the right ages, I have no doubts in my searches that I have made a mistake.

I just wondered if this is something that was done legally or her way of making a stand for herself and the children. My other question is if this was a legal move how costly was it to do in the 1800's ?

Thanks for your input L.B
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
This was an Ecclesiastical thing - i.e. Church Law.

Presentments were accusations of offences against Ecclesiastical law made by the wardens or chapter quest of each parish to the twice-yearly church courts held around Easter and November. Family historians will be familiar with them as a common crime presented, was that of fornication, as proved by the appearance of an illegitimate child, both mother and putative father, where known, were presented. Fornication was illicit sexual relationship by an unmarried party, adultery was an illicit relationship by a married party.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
If you mention her name, and other findings you have, I can take a look the next time I am in The Manx Museum Library ;D

Unless somebody else gets here first and can give you some information?!

Names and dates please! ;D

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 March 16 13:42 GMT (UK) »
hi there if you do have a reason to go to the Manx Museum for yourself and have time I would appreciate any help you could offer. i.e. if fathers name shows does it show their trades, she personally shows as an agricultural labourer.

I will get together all the info I have i.e. dates, names etc. which are shown differently on census to birth registrations and p.m. them to you shortly. Thanks once again for offer.

thanks once again L.B  :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 March 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that liverbird and myself have exchanged PMs.

The query involves illegitimate children who were baptised under the mother's name, but enumerated in censuses under presumed father's names.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 March 16 08:13 GMT (UK) »
As "Presentments" is new to me and possibly to many others here, I have added this topic to the

RootsChat Reference Library => Lexicon (click here)

Regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)