Author Topic: Patrick Long or Laing  (Read 779 times)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Long or Laing
« on: Saturday 05 March 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Long shot here but I am stuck on Patrick Long or Laing who was born c.1826 on his son Peter's birth certificate Patrick's birthplace is given as Dublin.
He married Mary Horan in Londonderry in 1845 and they moved to Scotland c. 1846. In 1851 he was an iron miner in Carluke and staying with his wife Mary's family. Mary's father was Michael Horan who was born somewhere in Ireland c.1802 and was a brickmaker.
If anyone can point me in any direction I would be most grateful
Jen
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline My_Scottish_Ancestors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Long or Laing
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

It looks like we have a few ancestors in common. I'm new at this, but I believe Patrick Long/Laing also went by the name Peter Long/Laing and his wife Mary Horan also went by the surname Horne/Horn.

On Mary's death record, it says she was the widow of "Peter Long" and her parents are listed as "Michael Horne" and "Ann Horne, maiden surname Dillen." The death record was signed by their son "Daniel Long" who was born in Carnock, Fife in 1859.

My records indicate that both Peter & Mary died in the 1890's in Lochee, Angus, Scotland (Peter in 1891 and Mary in 1897). I have the records along with some other info regarding Peter if you would like.

Let me know if this info sounds accurate to you because I am a bit thrown off by all the name variations. Hopefully it makes sense and we can compare notes. We could also compare our findings on the Hopper/McGowan/McQueen family as I have some of their records as well.

Thanks

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Long or Laing
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there, nice to hear from you.
Looks like it's the same family.  I researched the tree for my son-in- law Graham Laing and I have my notes somewhere so will look them out to share with you....i've records for the Hopper/McGowan/McQueen connection too.
Lochee is a district in Dundee City, where the family raised their families...and where the descendants still live.
Will get back to you on this
Kind Regards
Jen
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)