Author Topic: John Salter birth in 1833  (Read 759 times)

Offline tangosierra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Salter birth in 1833
« on: Saturday 05 March 16 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a problem with confirming some facts about the birth of my GG grandfather. 
In my tree I have John G (Gilbert) Salter b. 1867 in Wanganui in New Zealand.  His father, also John was in the army and took part in the New Zealand wars of the 1860s, hence the birth of his son there. 
I have managed, with the aid of some of the members of this board, to trace his military history, and his other children.  I have also been successful is finding his marriage to Elizabeth Jane Burnett.  Where I am having trouble is finding out his date of birth (sometime in 1833) and the exact details.  From this I would then find his father and so on.
I do know that he gives his place of birth as St Annes in Westminster, and I have an entry for Chelsea with parents John Thomas and Caroline Salter, with the baptism on the 10th March 1833.  However this gives his profession as a print cutter (I think).  On the marriage certificate of John and his wife Elizabeth Jane his father’s profession is given as a carpenter.  I realise that the marriage is 26 years later, but I would have thought it unlikely that someone would have changed profession.   
I would like to confirm that this is definitely the correct entry as it is too easy to take these things as read and then find that the wrong path has been followed.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks
Tony.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: John Salter birth in 1833
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The couple baptize numerous children up to 1846 in Chelsea, Fathers occupation ranging from print cutter , plumber ( son ~ Richard James 1837) , to labourer.

So he seemed to change his occupation,

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tangosierra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  A little odd don't you think?

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 March 16 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not too odd, they had quite a few children so I suppose working at any job to feed a large family was quite normal

Here are the baptisms from the register: St Lukes, Chelsea

John T Salter bpt. 10 March 1833 ( BORN 22 JANUARY 1833) Parents: John Thomas and Caroline
Fathers Occ: Print Cutter of Queen Street

Caroline Sophia bpt. 15 Feb. 1835 ( BORN 20 JAN 1835) address: Queen Street, father~print cutter

Richard James bpt. 28 Jun 1837 ( BORN 4 APRIL 1837) address: Manor Street, father ~ Plumber

William Edward bpt. 8 Dec 1839 ( BORN 10 NOV. 1839) address: Queen St. father~labourer

George Joseph bpt. 27 Mar 1842 ( BORN 17 FEB 1842) Queen St. father ~ coal porter

Edward Alfred bpt. 24 May 1846 ( BORN 27 APR 1846) Queen St. father~ labourer

claire

Offline tangosierra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 16 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  It would seem that I may have the right man.

By odd, I meant that a apprenticeship would normally be required for a carpenter, a plumber and probably a print cutter.  Although those descriptions may have been a broad idea of what he was doing rather than a definitive trade.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 March 16 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought, in the 1851 census John Thomas Salter (father ) is a coal porter. Do you think that put together 'coalporter' and maybe handwriting could look like 'carpenter' on the marriage document.

Claire

Offline tangosierra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 March 16 14:53 GMT (UK) »
You could be right.  However, just to muddy the waters, I have found another John Salter from the correct area in 1833.  Parents were John and Charlotte, father was a coachman.  Baptised 7th July.  Strangely this one didn't come up when I looked earlier. ???

His dob (22 April) fits fairly well with his discharge age given by the Army, which was 45 and a half at discharge on the 4th December in 1877.