Author Topic: Can't Find him after 1871 (William DULSTON)  (Read 2497 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Find him after 1871 (William DULSTON)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 March 16 14:06 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 March 16 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Romilly, I was wondering whether you're related to this family?  The earlier thread implies that you were helping TheWombat but you both have Warren in your list of surnames.  Just curious :)

Anyway, thanks to the OFHS transcripts I've found the baptisms of three more children of Samuel and Jane - and their burials, all under one year old, in 1861, 1866 and 1868.  And then Jane died ..................... the next part, to me, is terribly poignant.

She was buried at St Barnabas Church, Oxford on 13 February 1873 - note the date - age 45 of Dawson Place, Canal Street.

Samuel DULSTON, son of Joseph (boatbuilder) and Cecily of Whitchurch, born 18 July 1811, was conditionally baptised at St Barnabas on 13 February 1876.  ('Conditionally' means no-one knew whether he was already baptised - you can't be baptised twice.)

Three days after that, he was admitted to the Asylum where he died 13 months later.

My great-grandfather died in Littlemore Hospital in 1903 and I was able to get his records from the Oxfordshire Health Archives.  They've moved to the Oxfordshire History Centre and you'd need to contact them as I don't know what the procedure is now.

I do hope this is helpful.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 March 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is viewable on FindMyPast :

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000073%2f18730215%2f012

Many Thanks ShaunJ. That image wouldn't load for me earlier, and so I'm pleased to see it now.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 March 16 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Romilly, I was wondering whether you're related to this family?  The earlier thread implies that you were helping TheWombat but you both have Warren in your list of surnames.  Just curious :)

Anyway, thanks to the OFHS transcripts I've found the baptisms of three more children of Samuel and Jane - and their burials, all under one year old, in 1861, 1866 and 1868.  And then Jane died ..................... the next part, to me, is terribly poignant.

She was buried at St Barnabas Church, Oxford on 13 February 1873 - note the date - age 45 of Dawson Place, Canal Street.

Samuel DULSTON, son of Joseph (boatbuilder) and Cecily of Whitchurch, born 18 July 1811, was conditionally baptised at St Barnabas on 13 February 1876.  ('Conditionally' means no-one knew whether he was already baptised - you can't be baptised twice.)

Three days after that, he was admitted to the Asylum where he died 13 months later.

My great-grandfather died in Littlemore Hospital in 1903 and I was able to get his records from the Oxfordshire Health Archives.  They've moved to the Oxfordshire History Centre and you'd need to contact them as I don't know what the procedure is now.

I do hope this is helpful.

Carol

Yes, it's all very helpful indeed. Many Thanks Carol.

Yes, The Wombat and I were looking at the same family. It's somewhat complicated, as his Father was my Grandfather... :)

If William Dulston/William James Warren were the same person, then he would have been my GreatGreatGrandfather. I am now inclined to think that this is the case, because on the 1881 Census James Warren gives his Place of Birth as 'St Giles, Oxford'. (There is no Warren Birth for 1856/'57 that fits, - but of course William Dulston was Born there). I have the 1876 Marriage Cert for William Dulston and Eliza Watkins, and all of her details seem to fit with James Warren on the 1881 and 1891 Censuses).

I would think that after the sad saga of the Dulston Parents... their children might have wished to distance themselves. I don't know why the name WARREN was selected... (I was hoping that it might have been a family name from further back in the family... but I can't see it anywhere).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 19:57 GMT (UK) »

Hi Again Carol,

I meant to ask... Are the OFHS transcripts available on-line? Or do you have to join before you can search?

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 March 16 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for delay Romilly, we're 8 hours ahead of you so I was asleep when you posted!  Also my phone can't do links but this laptop can, so now I can give you this:  http://www.ofhs.org.uk

Transcripts are available on CD at £17.50 and each one contains several parishes (and sometimes other institutions).  You don't have to join to buy CDs or books and the price is the same for non-members.  The website tells you which records are on which disc.

If you've just got a few things to look up, OFHS will charge only £1.50 per item to do a search for you - details on the website, or via email at help[AT]ofhs.org.uk.

Very little is online at the moment but that will change eventually.  Ancestry have had the OFHS scans of all available PRs for some time but haven't yet announced a release date. 

So you can buy the CDs, pay for look-ups, or wait for Ancestry - the choice is yours :)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 March 16 09:32 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks for all of the additional info Carol, - Much appreciated.

I will go through it all... and will hopefully visit there when the weather becomes more Spring like(!)

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 March 16 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I think that I've found Richard Hooper's Will! (Jane Hooper's Father). Jane Hooper is mentioned in it, - along with her siblings.

(I'm trying to follow back on both sides to see if the name 'WARREN' crops up anywhere).

Romilly.

First name(s)   Richard
Last name   HOOPER
Date   1833
Entry year   1833
Place   Oxford
County   Oxfordshire
Description   HOOPER Richard. Cordwainer of Oxford
Record type   N
Reg   8770
Record set   Bank of England Wills Extracts 1717-1845
Category   Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory   Wills & probate
Collections from   Great Britain

Researching:

Offline TheWombat

• RootsChat Extra
  • This above all: to thine own self be true ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 April 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly (and others)

The marriage of William DULSTON and Eliza WATKINS in 1876 took place in Portsea, Hampshire. Their address at time of marriage was Ryde, Isle of Wight. There were two witnesses; the male witness was the Vicar's son, and the female lived a few houses away from the church. As you may have mentioned there is no apparent entries for this DULSTON couple after this event. It prompts me, though, to ask myself why get married (anonymously) in Portsea when there seemed to be an abundance of churches on the IofW.
Interestingly buried in the Portsea churchyard was a William WARREN.

William and Eliza WARREN crop up with the birth of their first son, William Edward, in August 1876 when they were living in Ventnor, Isle of White. 

After all these years, this is still doing my head in ....

Regards
TheWombat
WARREN - Greater London
BREWSTER - Essex
GOSLING - Devon