Author Topic: Translation of OPR Banns/Marriage  (Read 2514 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of OPR Banns/Marriage
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 21:54 GMT (UK) »

Fascinating!!!  So it seems as if the tradition of having the Banns read for 3 consecutive Sundays was to give anyone who had an objection a chance to say something. 

Exactly right, I can still remember when the clergyman read out the Banns (usually after his sermon) and ended with the words "If anyone knows of any reason why these parties should not be joined in holy matrimony they are bound to make the same known to me as soon as possible".

I wonder if that phrase could have been the forerunner to the phrase still used today at some weddings. It was used at my wedding, although if I remember rightly, the words "just impediment" were used instead of "reason".  I don't think it's used so often now though.

"Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace"

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of OPR Banns/Marriage
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 March 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if that phrase could have been the forerunner to the phrase still used today at some weddings.

That, or some variation of it, should be used at all weddings. The whole point is to ensure that the wedding is legal. That's also why a list of intended marriages is displayed at registrars' offices - so that anyone who knows of an impediment can make it known.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.