Author Topic: C18th Wells in Cheltenham and London  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
C18th Wells in Cheltenham and London
« on: Sunday 06 March 16 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I am becoming slightly obsessed with piecing together this family, a mixture of hat makers, lawyers and bankers, who appear to move between London and Cheltenham, and help run the 'Gloucestershire Society in London'.

When Joseph, a Cheltenham hat maker. and Jane Wells died in 1770 and 1771 they named four of their children in a will (Sarah, Samuel, John and Elizabeth) along with Joseph's brother Samuel, a writing master who died in 1783. The wills also mention Edward Martin Wells (most of whose ancestors are wealthy priests) and Benjamin Wells, gent, of Staple Inn Buildings, although the exact relationship to these two (if any) is not stated.

In 1774 a Nathaniel Wells, son a Joseph Wells, late of Cheltenham, hat maker, became apprentice in London to a silver drawer, with the costs posibly being paid by a charity (the Gloucestershire Society in London mentioned above, as it was founded in 1767 expressly for that purpose, and had certainly paid for the apprenticeship of a William Wells, s John, late a hatmaker of Cheltenahm in 1768). Is this the same Joseph and, if so, why wasn't Nathaniel mentioned in his mother's will? (Nathaniel was in the livery in 1796; I have found few references to him but it is a name that occurs in the family later).

In 1746, a Joseph Wells, 26, hatter, married a Jane Barnes, 22 in St Botolph's, Aldgate. There were at least seven children baptised to a Joseph and Jane Wells in London over the next twelve years including a Joseph and Jane on the same day in 1755 at St Benet, Paul Wharf. These children may come from several families and, apart from the co-incidence of the dates and occupation, there is little to connect the Joseph and Jane Wells in London with the Cheltenham pair, except that the Joseph born in 1755 fits fairly nicely with a Joseph Wells (c1757-1824) who later went on to become the guardian to a Benjamin Barnes Wells when Benjamin's mother died in 1801 (his father, John, having committed suicide in 1798) and who is known to have connections with Cheltenham.

Meanwhile the only births in Cheltenham that might fit Joseph and Jane are a John (1760) son of Joseph Wells, and Mary (1755-69) and Diana (1768-1769), daughters of Joseph Wills. John is therefore the only one of the four mentioned in the will (apart from possibly a London Elizabeth) whose baptisms have been found.

The main branch of the London Wells, including one who became secretary of the GSinL for thirty years) can be shown to descend from siblings Joseph (c1753-1815), Ezra (c1756-1830), Benjamin (1759-1820), Sarah (?-1829) and Samuel (alive 1829), all of whose wills mentions some of the siblings, although Ezra only sneaks in once. Sarah's will also features a Joseph Nathaniel Wells, a nephew in the law, whose census entries consistently show his birthplace as Southwark, but whose father is not named.

Ultimately I want to find a connection - if there is one - between these people and the John Wells, father of Benjamin Barnes Wells, who committed suicide in 1798 (he died a shoemaker but his firm signature when he married suggests an educated hand) but the above has become an interesting diversion even if it turns out to be an unrelated family. The main clue I have about John is that he had a nephew called Samuel, alive in 1801, son to an unnamed brother of John. There is more about John here:
http://64regencyancestors.com/index.php?title=The_Wells_family

Apologies for the length but I would particularly like to find any references to:
- the baptisms of Sarah, Samuel, Elizabeth and Nathaniel;
- the death/will of Samuel mentioned in para 6;
- anything that connects (or otherwise) the London Joseph and Jane with the Cheltenham ones;
- the baptism of Joseph Nathaniel in Southwark in about 1789/90.

Richard

All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: C18th Wells in Cheltenham and London
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
On the Forest of Dean Family History website

http://www.forest-of-dean.net

There is a large database of Marriage Allegations and Licences for Gloucestershire

Listed are 20 WELLS  residence: Cheltenham - the earliest 1705 and 322 WELLS's listed in total.

Regarding Joseph & Jane WELLS who both died in 1770 and 1771 - and connections with Samuel WELLS - a writing master

There is a Marriage Bond on the Forest of Dean records

24 September 1743 of

Joseph WELLS (aged 24 = c1719) a Yeoman of Witcomb and Jane PRESTON

witness : Luke HOOK a writing master of the City of Gloucester
Memoranda: The groom and Luke HOOK are bound in the sum of £500 to marry at Whitcomb

--

Witcomb is about 5 miles from Cheltenham

--

By Googling Luke Hook Writing Master Gloucester

He life and work is mentioned in - Luke HOOK was Master from 1741-1788 (Old Blue Coat boy) - when he was aged 31 = born c 1710.

The History of St Thomas Rich's School Gloucester.

There is on the CLDS a baptism at Gloucester St Nicholas - 11 November 1709 of Luke HOOK - parents Jonathan & Rebecca

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. It looks to be a useful link.

Richard

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I've just found two Gloucestershire Barnes' wills that are very helpful:

John Barnes's will (1749) mentions, amongst others, his niece Jane Wells (husband of Joseph) and her brother Benjamin Barnes; and when this Benjamin Barnes dies (1759) his will mentions his nephews Benjamin and Joseph Wells. Benjamin's will was witnessed by an Ezra Wells and Samuel Wells.

I am becoming slowly convinced that my John Wells named his son after this Benjamin Barnes, and that the tree looks like:

Ezra Wells (hatmaker, d1753) m Mary Gregory, whose children included Joseph (bap 1719) and Samuel (baptism not found; will 1783).
Joseph married Jane Barnes whose will mentions children Sarah, Samuel, John and Elizabeth. I hope this John is my John and Samuel is the unnamed brother in the 1801 will.

Unfortunately there are a number of missing baptisms, but there is some evidence that the family is non-conformist as Samuel (d1783)'s son, Samuel, was a Methodist preacher and colleague of John Wesley, mentioned in his letters.

Thank goodness for wills.

Richard