Author Topic: Graveyards in Newton/St.Quivox area  (Read 2688 times)

Offline paulinemackie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyards in Newton/St.Quivox area
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,there is a record in Carnegie Library in Ayr of Newton Burial Ground,it may now be at Ayrshire Archives,you may be fortunate with that,there is also a Wallacetown Graveyard which the Library have a copy of,I think you can purchase a copy of both from the library,contact SAC on 0300 123 0900

Best of Luck

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello, and thanks for the replies on the graveyards. I sent off for graves listings of about 6 burial grounds local to Wallacetown/Newton but couldn't find anything on the relatives I was looking for. I've looked at Scotlandspeople and Ancestry and just can't find the death records. I just need them so that I can ascertain my relative's parents' details (Alexander Brown, b 1818/9 in Parish of Ayr with parents John and Mary Brown. There are census records probably for them in Wallace town, Ayr in 1841 and 1851 but I would like to dig further and make sure I'm on the right track. I just can't find when they died, which would give their parents.)

I was close to Ayr last summer and had an afternoon at the Burns museum outside Ayr, which I enjoyed. I proudly announced to the chap at the museum that I was believed to be descended from the great man, and he said that about 50% of visitors say the same thing!! Never mind.
I drove round the area abit, which was interesting. I was wondering where would be the best records place to investigate that may have records in addition to the Scotlandspeople records/Ancestry records. Maybe death/graveyard records for graveyards I haven't looked at. Possibly at the records office in Glasgow?

sjmccall, re your James Brown.. I am clinging to the fact that I think my James Brown was born in Newton on Ayr c1830. That's where he is on the census' from 1851, 1861 and 1881. Also wife Jane was born in Newton too, c1828. So I fear they are different..

My problem (and yours too) is that there are loads of Browns from the Ayrshire area..
Thanks all,
Kipper

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Given Our Robert's prolific dalliances, some visitors to the Burns' Museum might be correct. His mother was Agnes Brown. There are FT projects on Robert Burns and for his wife Jean Armour.

Were you thinking of The Mitchell Library in Glasgow?
Cowban