Author Topic: Government Assylums for the Infirmed and Destitute in New South Wales, Australia  (Read 2476 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
From a record today found on the net (within the pages of these books) how might I go about finding further information on this person of interest please. See attachments.
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Ancestry has a current commercial partnership with the New South Wales State Records Office.   The SRNSW has allowed Ancestry to upload some of their digitised holdings.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/health/index-to-the-government-asylums-for-the-infirm-and-destitute

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/searchform.aspx?id=80

May I suggest the thread is moved to the Australia Board.

ADD
(from the image) NA - Newington Asylum 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/research-topics/asylum-records
and
http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/entity.aspx?path=\agency\1994

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Excellent will take a look now. Thanks
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
If the search results are yielding no results how do I know which assylum to look at?
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Agh, here you are, on the Australia Board.

If the search results are yielding no results how do I know which assylum to look at?

ADD
(from the image) NA - Newington Asylum 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/research-topics/asylum-records
and
http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/entity.aspx?path=\agency\1994

Are you seeking information about a Mary HAWKES?  If so, apart from the Newington Asylum document you have found at Ancestry, what information has your research already found about 'your' Mary HAWKES?

How is Mary HAWKES connected to you ..... this can be important if you may be seeking access to Mental Health files.   Sometimes the files cover several or even many individuals, and Newington was not closed until 1964, so sometimes the files also cover people who may still be living, or the files may include details for one of those people in the file  and that info may have been added less than 110 years ago.   Mental Health files can be difficult for members of the general public to access.  You may need to provide direct ancestor links. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
May I note that from the image that you have uploaded, that it seems that Mary HAWKES, aged 66 years, and of the Church of England denomination was received  by the Police near Bourke (NSW) and Dr Sides (a doctor in general practice in the Bourke and surrounding district) diagnosed her General Debility. 

As an aside some info about Dr Sides in his obit here:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/104094060 Western Herald 8 Nov 1899.  (Dr Sides delivered my Grandfather, and several of his siblings, and treated my Great grandparents, and other family members.  He is still highly spoken of by descendants who remember the words of their parents/uncles/aunts.  He saved the lives of several of my ancestors, including my Grandfather.)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I have the CD "History of Bourke" which is the searchable pdfs of the thirteen volumes of the papers of the Bourke Historical Society.

On a keyword search there's plenty for Dr Sides (100s), but only a very few (3) for "Asylum" and none for "Mary HAWKES" and none for "Newington Asylum"

As an aside, Vol 12, page 344 (of 408 for Vol 12) notes that 21 Jan 1888 the former "Manager of the Commerical Bank, forms his own sect in Bourke, but is sent to a Lunatic Ayslum on the grounds of 'religious mania'," and there's an interesting note added by the BDHS's Research Sec and editor  W J Cameron, in 1992  "(perhaps this law could be resurrected?"

These Volumes are available at the National Library of Australia, and many other locations too.  http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/19171842?selectedversion=NBD4765178 

Cheers,  JM  (born and bred in the Central West of NSW 'on the Lachlan', direct descendant of families from the Western Division of NSW, particularly of families born 'on the Darling' )

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Government Assylums for the Infirmed and Destitute in New South Wales, Australia
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 06:46 GMT (UK) »
It is Mary Hawkes I am seeking. ???

Mary from all accounts on her own admissions on her youngest sons, Thomas Hawkes birth certificate states she was born in Cork,  and was 30 years of age in 1861 when Thomas was born at Gundaroo, New South Wales. Her Husband John was some twenty years older and listed as 49 years old. Mary gives her maiden name as Davis.

They married in 1852 at Seymour, Victoria.
So from this marriage certificate it states the parties were John Hawks(sic) and Mary Ann Davis. They were married in the house of Mr. McLain or McLaurin, by license, the 28th February 1852 by Wm Singleton in Seymour, Victoria. John signed with his mark and Mary signed her name. As Mary was under age she was consented in marriage by a William Austin . It would appear as if William Austin could have been the baker and shoemaker at Avenel not far from Seymour.

From the Seymour Historical Group which mentions the "John Clarke Inn" & McLaurin.

The ‘new’ Robert Burns Inn was where John Hawks and Mary Ann Davis got married in Feb 1852, not the old John Clarks Inn (on the map) The current Royal hotel on the corner of Manners Rd at Seymour, was built in prior to 1852 for McLaurin and some of the buildings at the back are apparently from that time. The Seymour history book has got some other insightful maps etc from the Seymour Hist soc. Beautiful healthy undulating country The Robert Burns Inn, Later Police station, across the road to the south was John Clarks Inn and McLaurin's hotel pre the wedding. The New hotel built in 1849 was where they would have been married (Royal Hotel aka Royal George Hotel) It was quite something for its day and parts of it still stand (at rear of current one).

So given John Clarke is mentioned here and following up on that as a lead to information on Mary Davis. I suspect this might be her arriving into Australia as an Irish Famine Orphan.

Taken from the Book of Trevor McLaughlin- Barefoot and Pregnant.
Davis
 Mary
 Cork
 NA
 CofE
 Empl. Mr John Clarke, Bourke St., £9, 6 mths.

DAVIS   MARY   18   MAY   1849   PEMBERTON   4B   9
A list of female orphan immigrants per ship Pemberton received into the depot 26th May 1849
DAVIS, Mary, 18, Episcopalian, house servant, employer Mr John CLARKE of Bourke Street.

Their other children were listed as John 3, Sarah Jane 8, Mary 4.  1 male deceased. William was the male deceased child, born 27 January 1859 and died 27 July 1860 at Gundaroo. William is buried at St.Lukes Church Yard. The Church is now on private property and is now a potters house. You are able to still visit with the owners consent. William was baptised on 5th Feb1860 at St. Johns Reid by Minister Pierce Galliard Smith.
My GGGandfather Thomas was also baptised in the same Church on 19 February 1862, his father John being listed as a farmer at Gundaroo.

John Hawkes died 27 May1894 at Euromedah, near Dubbo and was buried at The Narromine Cemetery on 29th May1894.
From the death certificate it was his son John Hawks who was the informant, living at Trimbrebongie, near Dubbo.(about 10kms directly west. North along railway of Narromine).

The Son gave the information as Spouse: Mary Davis , married in London, England.
***This information is incorrect!
 John did get married in England but not to MaryAnn Davis.
John had married Jane Hawkins on March 27th 1837 at St. Mary's, Handsworth, England.
 Henry Hawkes was born 28th July 1837
Unfortunately on 21st July 1837 John Hawks
was convicted and tried and sent to Australia. So whether he was able to see his child we will never know. John arrived into Australia in 1838 on board the Earl Grey 2.
Therefore after Marys husbands death in 1894,
her name is on the death certificate and I would assume still alive at age 57 years.
I know when my Great Grandfather married the option for Mothers name was left as "unknown" both on the church register and the official marriage certificate.

I wondered if she had remarried or just taken up with another male friend and taken his name,

OR

went to the institutions which I am looking at now.
( from the institution record there is an age gap of 7 years difference in age, which throws me a bit)

What did happen to Mary?

Appreciate your further thoughts and comments to reach an outcome for Mary's whereabouts.

JK

O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Government Assylums for the Infirmed and Destitute in New South Wales, Australia
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
So, from your research,  were there any family members at Bourke when Dr Sides was consulted by Mary HAWKES and he diagnosed her General Debility and her consequent admission to Newington?  It is entirely possible that this Mary was not connected to your family.

Was the 1852 marriage celebrated by a C of E clergyman?  The Mary admitted to Newington was noted as C of E.   

If you have had a chance to check on Dr Sides, you will see that he was Victorian born, and was aged 48 when he died in 1899, at Bourke.  IF (and so far I think it is still "IF") Mary HAWKES, aged 66, patient of Dr Sides, was the mother of your chap,  then perhaps she travelled to Bourke just to receive medical attention from Dr Sides.   

Cheers,  JM