Author Topic: Wilkin of Caelaverock  (Read 1415 times)

Offline woodford56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilkin of Caelaverock
« on: Monday 07 March 16 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about the mother, siblings and ancestors of Thomas Wilkin.  He was born in 1801 at Netherwood, Dumfries, the son of James Wilkin, farmer at Bailicknow, Caerlaverock and his wife Elizabeth.  Thomas went on to become a surgeon.  I already have Thomas's wife's (Bridget Pennington) and their children's details.  His father was related to the Wilkin family of Tinwald Downs and the Carlyle family, but what the connection is I don't know.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkin of Caelaverock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi. The Memorials of Caerlaverock have seven gravestones with the name Wilkin. Many of the early ones mention North Kirkblain which is right beside Ballieknowe [note spelling]
MI book available from DGFHS
WWW.DGFHS.ORG.UK

Offline woodford56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I'll explore the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society website.

Offline Oldgerry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hello from Sussex - We have a 1930s manuscript tree including some earlier Wilkins.  The link to Carlyles is shown (perhaps optimistically) via Rachel Douglas Lawrie, Tinwald Minister’s daughter. Vague family tradition was that “Old Wilkin died in a pond in Dumfries on Burns’ Night”. Son Thomas W. shows wife Martha Shave (but this is a Suffolk surname). Grandson William Lewis W. became a surgeon b. Yorkshire, L. Suffolk, m. Wilson. This suggests that our generations have been mixed up, and it would be interesting to compare other sources.