Author Topic: 1851 extracted census  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1851 extracted census
« on: Tuesday 08 March 16 02:29 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G94N-T4D8?mode=g&i=284&wc=SMDQ-3TL%3A1078303001%3Fcc%3D2346275&cc=2346275

Could some kind person inform me of the above link.  My GGG grandfather was Thomas Baggot/Baggott/Bagot. In 1901 Irish census he is down as aged 50, with two dau.  What was the purpose of extracted census?  Is it possible this is him, no age given, but there is 4yrs written by whoever prossessed.  These parents have the same names of two of his children. Is there an original census beside extracts? 

Thanks if you can help
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 extracted census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
If you look on this webpage (on the link below) you'll see that the census for 1851 were lost in a fire.

The image is of a Treasury Form.  According to the web page, this form was made out when the person applied for a Pension and his/her details were checked with the 1851 Census Return. Possibly the 4 years means that the applicant either lived at that address for four years or hasn't worked for four years?

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/records_not_held_in_proni.htm
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info.

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 05:31 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome.   I hadn't known those records existed until I saw your post, so thank you.
I'm currently floundering about in Wales trying to sort out my O.H.s Irish McCarthy ancestors and when I saw your link I looked through another set for Cork and noticed that their form seemed to relate to their Customs Office and were dated 1910 - 1912 and for the most part each applicant had duplicate forms which showed that officialdom checked both the 1841 and the 1851 census.  Whereas your link showed the form was dated 6th June 1921 and the few that I looked at just seemed to check the applicant's details with the 1851 census.

I shouldn't have been but I was surprised to see the applicants didn't just live in Ireland but had addresses in the USA and London, England, which isn't surprising I suppose because those countries would have had to check on information too.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Glad you found the link of interest. I kinda understand what it was about now.  Hardly think it was my guy as he would have been over 70...cannot locate in 1911 both his dau had moved on and he was widowed before 1901.  Thought I may have found something.

Where in Wales are your McCarthys located?

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 07:45 GMT (UK) »
You can see the date he applied...1921, when aged 70,  so what's there is him from what was on 1851 Census check  (return)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 07:49 GMT (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 08:04 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h7q/  is McCarthys from Cork who applied!

By Cork I mean the address they said they lived at in 1841 or 51 so Census can be checked!

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information, it could well be him....cannot find him in 1911 so presumed deceased.  Will keep on file.

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire