Author Topic: McGinn burials in Whitburn Cemetery?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McGinn burials in Whitburn Cemetery?
« on: Tuesday 08 March 16 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been led to believe that my great, great, great grandfather is buried in Whitburn Cemetery and that there may be a stone marker associated with either him or the family.

John McGinn born about 1823 in Ireland, said to have died in December of 1887 and was buried in Whitburn churchyard.

Agnes McGinn nee McNally / McAnulty, first wife of John McGinn, said to have been born about 1825 in Ireland and died in April of 1852. She is also said to have been buried in Whitburn Cemetery.

Margaret McGinn nee Hughes, second wife of John McGinn, born about 1812 in Ireland and said to have died in 1885 and was also buried in Whitburn.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thelma in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGinn burials in Whitburn Cemetery?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Cannot find any McGinn burials in Whitburn Cemetery (or Fauldhouse) on the West Lothian Family History Society's burial register transcription CD. Given that Agnes died in 1852 she would likely have been buried in Whitburn Churchyard. I will check the Scottish Monumental Inscriptions' CD for a stone there (not on a PC with a CD at the moment).

Eric

Add 0743
Checked the Scottish Genealogy's Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855 book for West Lothian. There is stone for John, wife Agnes and daughter Mary. The transcription is "John McGinn labourer, w[ife] Agnes McAnalta 19.4.1852 26, da Mary inf.

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,  Carlineric!

I wasn't aware of the resources that you cite, so you have peaked my curiosity. I took a peek at the West Lothian Family History Society and now plan to join.

Would you know if the stone for the McGinn family is still in existence?

Thanks again :)

Thelma in Calgary

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thelma,
I live about 5 minutes walk from Whitburn Churchyard. I can see the location of the stone from the West Lothian MI's. I will try and get you a photo at the weekend.
Canisp.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 16 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Canisp, thank you so very much.

I live in Calgary, Alberta and if you have wayward ancestors who came to Canada I would be glad to help with any local resources.

With sincere thanks and gratitude

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 March 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thelma,

I managed to take a photo of your McGinn stone today. I have sent you a PM.

Cheers,
Canisp.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)