Author Topic: Aminar K Howth  (Read 2755 times)

Offline bugaribigboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aminar K Howth
« on: Tuesday 08 March 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Aminar K Howth, born 1923 in India, along with his mother Amy Howth, 37yrs born India immigrated from India to the UK in 1928-29 and headed for an address in Pitmedden, Udny, Aberdeenshire.   There was no indication that Aminar's father came to the UK at the same time.    I don't know how long they settled in Pitmedden but in 1934, Aminar, along with what would appear to be a younger brother, were rewarded at Udny Parish Church with a book prize for good attendance.
Nothing more is know of the family until Aminar started racing motor cycles in Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man.  I have sourced several reports from Newspaper Archives on his successful racing career.
Today I have learned of him being at an address in Aberdeen, 184 West North Street, with 'motor cycles' after his name in a 1960's 'phone book.   This may have been a motor cycle dealership that Aminar was involved in.
There is no indication on Scotland's People that he ever married and no record of death either on that site, so what happened top him?
Has anyone Any information on the Howth family when staying in Pitmedden or when they/he moved to Aberdeen or what ever happened to him.
Any information gratefully received.
Ron Todd

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Aminar K Howth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 22:20 GMT (UK) »
There are only two births, one female marriage and two deaths in Scotland of people named Howth, none of them being either Amy or Aminar.

There are some in England and Wales, but the most recent of them is a birth in 1910. After that, the name seems to have vanished.

Could they have returned to India?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bugaribigboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that response.   The family returning to India has occurred to me but there is no trace of them on Ancestry of having done so.   That doesn't mean they didn't though.   I might have a bit of luck through his brother who went to Aberdeen Uni in 1939 but that'll be for another day.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Ron, not that it helps greatly, but there is an earlier shipping manifest entry for a 7yr old Master A Howth, country of origin India, entering the UK in 1927. Address given: c/o R S Bansal, 59 Abington Street, Glasgow. Can't see who he may be travelling with on the manifest  :-\ You then have already the later entry at the end of 1928 for Amy and son.

The 1930 Valuation Rolls, just released by Scotlands People, and free to search for a little while show:

RUNVIR S BANSAL, a tenant, residing at 59 ABINGTON STREET in GLASGOW    - VR102 / 1461 / 164

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 21:41 GMT (UK) »
the manifest for the 1927 entry isn't much help, as apart from this child at the top the page is in alphabetical order. Embarked Colombo, disembarked Tilbury. Can't see anyone nearby heading for the same address

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Just double checking the date for the 1927 manifest for Aminar. Runvir S Bansal, a 33 year old Draper from India arrived in London on 5 Sep 1927. He gave his address as 59 ABINGTON STREET in Glasgow.

Monica

ADDED: Master A Howth arrived 24 Aug 1927 in London.

Offline bugaribigboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, yes, I have seen that entry and not quite sure what to make of it.   The discrepancies in age is the thing that's troubling me so will take a bit enquiry but thanks anyway. 
The Death Cert of Mary Ann Howth would appear to be his mother as Animar has registered and signed the Certificate albeit it is very faint but you clearly see the A K part where it is printed.  I've found her in Scotland's People as being born in Aberdeenshire and not in India as shown in the manifest.  Lots to do yet.
Ron.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 March 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Ron, what was Mary Ann/Amy's maiden surname? Her death cert should have included her parents' and husband's (if married) names.

FindMyPast has in their British India Office Births & Baptisms:

HOWTH, baptised in 1923 in Madras.

Monica

Offline bugaribigboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 March 16 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Sorry I didn't give you that last night but I didn't have access to the printout at the time but here are birth details now.

Mary Ann Kerr, born 25/4/1891 at Rathan, Aberdeenshire.  Parents names:- Richard Kerr, Gardener and Mary Ann Kerr, MS Laing.   Can't quite make out the home address as hand writing is poor butit looks like Berryside Park, Rathan.

Mary Ann was married twice, 1st husband:-Mohammed Aminar Howth, Civil Engineer and:-
2nd husband:- Norman Adam, Meal Miller.   She died on 25/2/1963 at 29 Horsefield Avenue, Aberdeen. Cause of Death:- Arterial Sclerosis and Cerebral Haemorrhage, death certified by Dr DM Slessor, MB ChB.   Her Death was Registered by her son AK Howth of 80 Bonnymuir Place, Aberdeen.

I think she must have married Aminar's father, Mohammed, in India as there is no trace of the marriage on Scotland's People.      Religion confirmed now as Christian with Aminar being baptised in Madras.

I haven't had a lot of time to really get into Indian side of Aminar yet with domestic matters taking over a bit, but may do over the weekend.

Thanks for the info Monica.

Ron