Author Topic: James McKeone, Middlesbrough 1880-1956 - mystery of two mothers  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Phinders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McKeone, Middlesbrough 1880-1956 - mystery of two mothers
« on: Wednesday 09 March 16 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Please can anybody help with this one? ... I need information on James McKeone b.1880.  Father John McKeone 1821, mother Bridget McGowan b.1845

1881 Census - At Commercial St. Middlesbrough, James McKeone is about 6 months old, living with Father John b 1821. & Mother Bridget b.1845, siblings Elizabeth 14, Mary 12, John 10, Michael 8, Bernard 6, Annie 3

1891 Census - At 6 Nelson Pl. Linthorpe Middlesbrough, Thomas & Elizabeth ROBINSON are living with daughter Annie McKeone 13, son James McKeone 11, son Patrick McKeone 8, daughter Lena Robinson 2.  The McKeone kids are clearly shown as the sons and daughters of the Robinsons on the original census document. 

1897-1900 James McKeone served in Yorkshire Royal Artillery.  His army record on discharge in 1900 shows a notation scrawled on the back of one of the pages which states; NOK sister Eliza McCabe ("McKeone" had been written then crossed out) and mother Elizabeth Robinson.  Eliza McCabe was definitely James' older sister Elizabeth McKeone b.1867 who was married to Eugene McCabe.

1911 Census - At 22 Suffield St. Middlesbrough.  James was living with wife Catherine (Jones), Daughters Agnes 6, Freasia 5, Catherine 6 mths, Son James 2, Sister in law Agnes Jones 12, Niece Elizabeth McCabe 24 (his sister Elizabeth's daughter) and wait for it ......... his MOTHER Bridget 63, widow.  His mother on his birth record and from the 1881 census.

I can't work it out.  Was John McKeone b.1821 with Elizabeth Robinson at some stage? Could they have had Patrick together? Then did Elizabeth take Bridget's kids Annie and James with her and go off and marry Thomas Robinson?  Hope this makes sense.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James McKeone, Middlesbrough 1880-1956 - mystery of two mothers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 07:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a James McKeone in Middlesbrough age 60 in March Qtr  1883  Middlesbro'    9d   395    and a marriage in March Qtr  1887   Middlesbro'    9d   711   of an Eliza McKeone to one of two men including a Thomas Robinson

I think Bridget might be a pet name for Elizabeth  (Edit or Elizabeth at pet name for Bridget http://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Bridget.html ??) and my suggestion is that Bridget/Elizabeth remarried Thomas Robinson had daughter Ellen/Lena Robinson in 1889 and husband Thomas possibly died pre 1911. Her son James recorded her in the census in 1911 as Bridget rather than Elizabeth. The 1887 marriage would confirm the theory if correct

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 07:45 GMT (UK) »
I think Ellen Robinson b 1889 Middlesbrough married a Robert Insall in 1908 in Middlesbrough and in the following census her mother was also visiting her with surname as Robinson.   

The birth place in Ireland is so distinctive for both Bridget living with James and Elizabeth living with Ellen that I think Bridget/Elizabeth was double counted in the 1911 census - both age 63 with the same birthplace

Edit - This is Elizabeth Robinson from the free Family Search https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7P5-5QW

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 08:08 GMT (UK) »
I think Elizabeth with family in 1901  living at 6 Mason St Middlesbrough

Thomas Robinson 60 b Ireland  Iron Foundry Labourer
Elizabeth Robinson 53 b Ireland
Ellen Robinson    12 b England

Offline Phinders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 December 16 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay
Sorry it's taken so long to respond but I've just managed to catch up with things due to having to manage some major family affairs.  The information you have provided is fantastic and I can't thank you enough.  This has helped to progress my family tree so much.  Thank you very much for your help and best wishes.

Kind Regards
Phil

Offline louib1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

I came across your post whilst looking for my family.  James Mckeone was my grandmothers father and I had the same questions as you!! thanks for your post and answering my questions !!! 

Louise

Offline Phinders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

I came across your post whilst looking for my family.  James Mckeone was my grandmothers father and I had the same questions as you!! thanks for your post and answering my questions !!! 

Louise

Hi Louise
So glad this has helped you.  What was your grandmother's name?  Would you like access to my family tree (it's in Genes Reunited at the moment, but I will move it to Ancestry.com when I can figure out how to do it).  John b1821 married Bridget in Ireland but he was much older than her.  John has an interesting army record, he served in India for about 18 years.  My mother,  (Sheila Mary McKeone), always told me that there were two brothers who came from Ireland to Middlesbrough, one of them was obviously John (who changed the spelling of his name), but I've been unable to find the other brother.  There are still many McKeones living in Middlesbrough, its quite an unusual spelling.  I would be very interested if you have any more information to share.

Regards
Phil

Offline louib1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
ill private message you phil :)