Author Topic: Dumfries and Galloway Standard 1800-1949  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Macharskin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dumfries and Galloway Standard 1800-1949
« on: Wednesday 09 March 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I thought I would mention for those who are unaware, the British Newspaper Archive mentioned in the Resources page - a subscription site, can be accessed gratis from some local libraries.

This is a link to the Dumfries & Galloway Standard 1800-1949 (2182 issues) on the BNA pay site.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?place=dumfries%2c%20dumfriesshire%2c%20scotland&sortorder=dayearly

It is possible to search here and find out if there are any articles that interest you - ahead of going to your library!

Two tips:
1. The search engine uses OCR, therefore as these articles predate Times New Roman, many words appear odd and incomplete - but generally you will work out the gist of the entry.
2.  Like with any search don't be overly prescriptive. I invariably go to Advance Search and only type my words into the "The Phrase" box otherwise you can get hundreds of irrelevant entries.

Michael.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.