Author Topic: DOMINIC HOPPER AND WINIFRED McGOWAN  (Read 1701 times)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DOMINIC HOPPER AND WINIFRED McGOWAN
« on: Thursday 10 March 16 11:58 GMT (UK) »
looking for any information on Dominic Hopper who married Winifred McGowan, probably in Sligo.  Their sons Dominic, John and Malachi were born 1820-1830 in Ireland before they moved to Scotland
Jen
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DOMINIC HOPPER AND WINIFRED McGOWAN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 16 23:15 GMT (UK) »
If you search the Applotment books for Hopper Sligo you will see the name only occurs in two Civil Parishes.
Calry which has two Dominick and Kileery which has no Dominick.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp
Search for McGowan Sligo there are a lot more but the only Civil Parish that crosses with Hopper is Calry. (Of course they may not be from the same Civil Parish)
You don't say if they were RC or COI but the name Hopper does occur in the RC parish of Killenummery which covers Kileery Civil Parish but the register starts 1828. (I only looked at a year or two, the one couple were not yours) http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0171
Sligo St.John's which covers Calry Civil Parish starts 1858. http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0550

Not everyone is listed in the Applotment books, you had to farm over 3 Irish acres.

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for all that info...I think the Hoppers were RC as their descendants who came to Scotland were all married in the Catholic Church.  Lots for me to work on now, thanks again :)
Regards from Jen
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland

Offline Sharon Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 16 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there.
Did they have a daughter (Helen known as Ellen)? She came over from Sligo to Edinburgh.
If so she was my 3x great grandmother.

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 June 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon
I haven't been able to find any other children (so far), born to Dominick Hopper and Winifred McGowan, other than Dominick, John and Malachi.....John married Ann McQueen and the family came to Dundee.  Dominick married twice, first to Isabella Watson and then to Margaret Ward, he came first to Wick then to Aberdeen where he died in 1884....Malachi is proving hard to find at the moment....seems he did come to Scotland too though.
Jen

Offline Sharon Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 June 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you! on Helen's (Ellen) Death certificate.  It says father Dominic Hopper and mother Ann?McGowan.  It was completed by her son.  However,  it maybe that her mother was called Ann for short which often happens in our family. But it was a long shot.  Have been trying to find out which part of Sligo she came from. 👍

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 June 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon
Now that makes a big difference that your Ellen's mum was a McGowan....I've come across so many different name spellings throughout my family research over the years that we might have the same family...hopefully.
 As far as I can tell so far...the Hoppers in question originated with Dominick Hopper who farmed in Calry in the 1820's...thanks again to Sinann a fellow Rootschatter, and again going back to your Helen's death certificate which was completed by her son who names his grandmother as Ann McGowan..perhaps she was called Ann in the family, though she might have been named Winifred at birth!   Maybe we can find a clue with Carly in Sligo
Warm Regards....Jen