Author Topic: McAleer  (Read 1210 times)

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAleer
« on: Thursday 10 March 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, trying to trace my Gr Gr Grandparents, John McAleer, circa 1846. I do know that he was in the army and my Gr grandmother, Mary McAleer was born in Omargh in 1846, his wife was possibly a Sarah Devaney. I do know that there was an army barracks in Omargh at that time,  my question is which regiment would have been stationed there at that time, also are there any Catholic records on line  that I could access, thanks for any help.

Regards Daisy

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McAleer
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 16 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy, Mmmm,
have you got the years correct?
If John was born about 1846 Mary the daughter wouldn't have been born the same year. or have I read it wrong?
I have found a Mary born 1883 to John and Sarah.
Maggsie

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry for the mix up, John must have been born circa 1820s, I was looking for a marriage
around 1845 as my great grandmother was born at that time. I thought that if I could possibly find some other details on John, as in which regiment he might have been in, it might give me some clue on his  marriage or other siblings to Mary.
The only information I have is Mary's marriage certificate, father listed as soldier,the marriage took place in Londonderry, no street address, so no clue there, 1901 census for Londonderry, Mary is listed as age 56 born Omar County Tyrone. A bit of a needle in a haystack. Thanks for your interest, any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards Daisy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 March 16 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Is this Mary in 1901 (married name Campbell)? If so, her birthplace is transcribed as Omagh Not Omar-
http://Moor/1537392
Here's the actual page also with the correct spelling-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000633083/

Catholic baptisms for Drumragh (Omagh) start in 1846 and you can browse the register- marriages and burials also from 1846:
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0365
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 March 16 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the speedy reply, very interesting  and yes this is the Mary Campbell on the 1901 by the name of Campbell, apologies for the typing error.

Regards Daisy