Author Topic: Munition Cottages, Newcastle  (Read 4043 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Munition Cottages, Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 March 16 21:24 GMT (UK) »
See page 17 at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h9c/ for a description of munition cottages.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dorothy M. Walker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 March 16 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that - I did find it and it was also interesting to see that the same type of cottages were built in Sheffield near where I used to live - in fact I used to work at Hadfields which is mentioned.

Thanks again

Dorothy

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 March 16 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Dorothy,
You might want to have a look at this website:
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/

I suggest you register (it's free) as then you are permitted to zoom into the photos. There are lots of images along the banks of the Tyne and although you might not find a photo of the munition cottages the pictures show how the industrial landscape has changed since the early 20th century.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 March 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, I had seen this site before but not registered, which I have now done and amazed at how close you can zoom in. I am thinking the 'cottages' where terraced houses by the Vickers Armstrong works but other then that cannot see anything that looks like 'cottages'. I had some preconceived idea of 'huts' built like cheap temporary accommodation for the increase in workers during the first world war and then, like many projects, continued to be used due to the lack of housing.

Thanks again for your help it is much apprecated.

Dorothy

Offline radley1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 August 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
I am not sure about munition cottages but I was born in Scotswood in 1945 and the Methodist church was at the end of Whitfield road where it joined Denton Road.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 August 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I am attempting to find out more about my father who was fostered out I imagine soon after his baptism at Scotswood Methodist Church. At the time of baptism his mother Mary Jane put her place of residence as M22, Munition Cottages, Northumberland, England - It seems this was between William Armstrong Drive and Scotswood Road, West of the Newcastle Business Park.

Hence I am trying to find out who she was staying with - the family story is that she went and stayed with friends before the immediate birth. All I know is that she was not around by the time Dad was a toddler and going on the story that she would not have returned home I think he was given to his foster parent as a baby.

Thanks for replying and I live in hope of finding out more some day. I do however now have all his maternal side but no one has any idea who his father was.

Dorothy