Author Topic: Any Kildare Gaelic Football Buffs Out There Please?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any Kildare Gaelic Football Buffs Out There Please?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 March 16 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Wow - that excerpt from the Club's History is just brilliant and I can include that in the 'write up' of the Dowling family history.

The Mick Dowling also mentioned, was the brother of Richard. Interesting that Richard is called 'Stix' on there - but 'Sticks' in newspapers.

I can't thank you all enough for your help so far with this strange question of mine. (Makes a change from the conventional queries I suppose!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 March 16 14:36 GMT (UK) »
The spelling as STIX in the club records would make me question was he difficult to get past? or indestructible? as in the mythical river STYX also spelt STIX?

Nicknames were given for the strangest of reasons
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 March 16 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you My Luck -- that's a good suggestion. Certainly Richard is tending to get good reports in the Kildare press - such as 'Sticks Dowling had a grand game' etc.

I have written to the club now - who have kindly said they will make enquiries. I have told them not to go to too much trouble - but if they have an interested historian there - they may come up with something.

If I do find out the explanation - I'll give feedback on here to everyone has been so good to reply.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.