Author Topic: Need passenger list for ship "John", left Newry May 10,1764, McChesney search  (Read 21296 times)

Offline herv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for the passenger list for the Dutch registered ship "John" that left Newry on May 10, 1764 and arrived New York July 28,1764. This is the same ship and trip that Rev. Thomas Clark, M.D. brought his Presbyterian congregation to America on. There were a number of McChesney's on board from Co. Monaghan and settled in the Newark, NJ and Brunswick, NY areas. I am hoping to find out which McChesney's came over on this trip and hopefully the specific family units. Other ships of interest are the "Newry" 1764, and the Buchannan, 1765, who also sailed from Newry to New York.

Offline Mcpherson,Eric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need passenger list for ship "John", left Newry May 10,1764, McChesney search
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my name is Eric Mcpherson and I am also looking for the same passenger list. If you are able to obtain it, would you be able to contact me about how to do this? Thanks. This is for the Mcpherson research.

Offline herv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need passenger list for ship "John", left Newry May 10,1764, McChesney search
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Eric, I haven't found anything yet, but got side tracked. I ended up registering my Ancester John McChesney with SAR and am in the process of submitting to the Mayflower Society, as his wife Abigail is descended from Giles and Steven Hopkins. John is the person I believe may have been on the ship John or possibly the Newry that arrived about 3 months after the John in 1764, also from Newry, Ireland. I haven't found a list for the Newry yet either. I will eventually get back on that track and will keep you in mind. Thanks for the interest.

Offline John Kingsmore

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • A consummate, adaptable and enthusiastic legal professional, with extensive experience across international markets; confident and versatile, with expertise across a range of sectors, and in-depth understanding of business principles and practices. John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was looking for exactly the same information, looking for "Kingsmill" or "Kingsmore" on the passenger list, part of the Ballybay congregation....

Offline herv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I have 2 lists of Dr. Clark's members, one I got from the Presbyterian Church in Salem, NY, where Dr. Clark's colony ended up. I also have a copy of Robert Harper's first list of Dr. Clark's members before leaving Ireland. The only "K" named person on these lists is George Keil. That does not mean that your ancestor was not on the "John" as an additional passenger or crew though. I still have not found a ship's list either. Other ships that left around that time from Newry are the " Buchanan in 1765, the "Newry" later in 1764 and in 1765, and the Venus or Saturn (can't find my notes) that I think was 1763 or 1765.

Offline wils5604

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
Would you be willing to share the two lists?

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 October 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I saw the name William McChesney in 1765 on the BUCHANNON. ( just searched McChesney)

A book by....
DOBSON, DAVID. Irish Emigrants in North America, Part Seven. Baltimore: Clearfield Co., 2008
and also .......
"PASSENGERS ABOARD THE BUCHANNON, Newry to New York, August 1765." In The Irish Ancestor (Glebe House, Co. Tipperary, Ireland), vol. 12:2 (1980), p. 52.
Try here....
http://www.irishancestors.ie
then I saw this......
Name: William Mcchesney
Marriage Date: 23 Aug 1721 in Dumfries,Dumfries,Scotland
Married to Jean Blain
This may be the Mcchesney you are looking for, I can not find a JOHN, sorry
Maggsie

Offline herv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information on William, I hadn't seen that before.

I have discovered that the following ships left Newry for New York:
Venus 1763, John 1764, Newry 1764, Buchannan 1765. There was a William McChesney on the John and Buchannan. I have not found records for the other ships. Family lore has the family coming from Co. Monaghan in Ireland either 1763 or 1764 when John was only a few weeks old, but have no idea how long they had been there. So, your information about William in Scotland could be valid.
I have also found out that my relative John was in the Revolutionary war, serving in the NY 1st Reg. and I am a member of SAR with him. His wife Abigail Stevens is descended from Mayflower roots, which I have submitted to for confirmation.
I suspect I will need to get serious about a trip to Ireland and check into the McChesneys in the Monaghan/Armagh/Louth areas. I have not been successful at connecting John to his family in the Salem, NY area either.

Offline herv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 01:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I missed your request to share the lists. I'll have to figure out how to copy them, but not a problem.

I have a list of:
1) Dr. Clark's Colony, Ballibay, Ireland - Salem NY. 1764.  I got it from the old white church in Salem, NY.
2) Another list I think I found in Salem, NY records, or information on the Cahan Exodus, another name for Dr. Clark's move. Basically the same list as #1, just a different source
3) Robert Harper's first list (1753) members of Dr. Clark's colony interested in possible relocation