Author Topic: Need passenger list for ship "John", left Newry May 10,1764, McChesney search  (Read 21295 times)

Offline walterstradling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need passenger list for ship "John", left Newry May 10,1764, McChesney search
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 March 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
To HERV ... My 2 cousins and I are researching the Cunningham family that attended the Ballybay Presbyterian Church in the mid 18th century ... a John Cunningham bc 1744 is believed to have emigrated to New York with Dr Clark either on the ship "John" out of Newry in 1764 or on an another ship subsequent to the initial voyage ... I read with great interest that you have "2 lists of Dr. Clark's members, one I got from the Presbyterian Church in Salem, NY, where Dr. Clark's colony ended up. I also have a copy of Robert Harper's first list of Dr. Clark's members before leaving Ireland." in your possession ... I have been tearing the internet apart trying to locate a list of congregation members, but have had no success ... could you kindly email me copies of the lists or at least send information on where these documents are held and who to contact ... Regards, WaltStradling

Offline herv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need passenger list for ship "John", left Newry May 10,1764, McChesney search
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 March 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I attempted to attach both Mr. Clark's list of adult male members that came on the ship "John" and the Harper's list of interested members, but the attachment size restriction would not allow it. The problem with these lists is they do not list family members or in-law members traveling with the family. I do not see a Cunningham, closest is Clorigham. I got these lists from the Presbyterian Church in Salem, NY. where Dr. Clark initially settled. I also ran across these lists elsewhere in my searches. I will need your e-mail if you would like me to send them to you, out side of this forum. There was also an early scouting group and others that followed on other ships, but I have not seen any formal lists associated with these.

Ships were not required to have passenger lists until about 1820, so any list found earlier is by chance. Besides the ship "John" in 1764 leaving Newry for New York,  I found the "Buchanan" in 1765 with a partial list (no Cunningham), the "Newry" in 1764 and 1765 (no list found) and the "Venus" I think was 1764 (no list found). All were from Newry to New York. Most of this information I found surfing Google. There are probably other sources available, but I have not been able to get back on that thread, having confirmed John as a Rev. War vet, and finding family ties to Mayflower and Jamestowne.

Offline walterstradling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 March 18 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Herv, thanks for responding ... I would love copies of these lists ... how do I give you my email? ... can I pass it through Sarah? ... we have heard of this listing for a John Clorigham and believe that it is a mangled rendition of John Cunningham ... please advise ... WaltStradling

Offline herv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 March 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Sent, should be to you shortly

Offline YTOWN6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 April 19 19:08 BST (UK) »
Herv and Walter,

I am currently researching my McClelland and Hanna family history.  I have learned of the Ship John that brought Thomas & Elizabeth (Henderson) Hanna and family from Ireland to America ... I also think there could be other Hanna’s and McClellands on Ship John.

I found your post exchanges re: Ship John Passenger lists.

If possible, I would really appreciate a copy of the passenger list and other related family lists.

Thanks in advance and Regards,

Mark Thompson
Sherrills Ford, NC

Offline Lollygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need passenger list for ship "John", left Newry May 10,1764
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 July 19 03:40 BST (UK) »
I hope I'm not too late to jump on this bandwagon and get those ships lists!  (Especially the Ship John) I just followed a trail that I hope will break down a 40 year old wall!

Looking for a Robert MCMICHAEL, who may have travelled with Dr. Thomas Clark as part of his congregation. I believe he may have been one of those that came with him, but then split off to head to Abbeville, SC...

Loralee

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline YTOWN6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 July 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
Loralee,

I would be happy to pass along the information that was provided to me.

Please send me your email address.

Mark Thompson

Offline Lollygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 July 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you!
I replied to you with my e-mail address, but then got a message that I shouldn't do that. How can I get that to you?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.